SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > I'm wanting to jump into embroidery! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I'm wanting to jump into embroidery!
Please help, stand alone EM or Combo?
cjohns2
cjohns2  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/9/13
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 7:04 AM

I want to learn how to embroider so I'm thinking of getting a new combo S/EM.........

As I started my research someone mentioned that I should get a stand alone embroidering machine.

My thought is; wonder if I don't like it then I've got a specialty machine that will be collecting dust. On the other hand if I love it will having separate machines be a better setup?

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

------
Brother SB3129
Viking 500
Babylock Serger Enlighten
Babylock EM Spirit

Sewsillymom
Sewsillymom
Beginner
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/26/14 8:16 AM

If you don't like embroidery you can always sell or trade the stand alone without having to replace your sewing machine as well. Just a thought..

------
Singer 9960, 221K - black and white/green, 15-30 treadle, 201-2, 301,603, 99, 15-90, Babylock Spirit, Brother 1034D serger and 2340cv coverstitch, Babylock coverstitch, Morse fotomatic 4300, Kenmore 86, Royal HA-1,

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: Im wanting to jump into embroidery! Date: 5/26/14 8:43 AM

Doesn't everyone have more than one sewing machine? If not, you can feel really lonesome when the machine goes in for service.

Do as you please. I have had both and have enjoyed both. The combo will be there when needed, or may become your main, go to machine.

-- Edited on 5/26/14 8:45 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
Member since 8/25/09
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/26/14 3:49 PM

I've seen people say that they like having one machine dedicated to embroidery so they can be sewing on their regular machine while doing embroidery... Not me! If I'm sewing, I need to focus on that alone and not have my attention so spread out... and if I'm embroidering, I need to be watching for broken threads, though the machine usually does a good job of stopping instantly if that happens (it doesn't happen often, but more than I like)...

I will say that sometimes, when I am doing a lot of embroidery (or one project spread out over several days), it is nice to have another machine (or two!) to sew on... It saves me from having to convert the embroidery machine back to a sewing machine... I can leave it set up for embroidery until I'm finished with that function. Also, if I'm going to a social sewing event, and the combo machine is set up for embroidery, it's so easy to just take another machine...

Do you already have a stand alone sewing machine? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to get a dedicated embroidery machine... or I'd likely just leave the combo set up for embroidery all the time, if your other machine is a nicely featured and good performing machine... it's just so tedious to go through the conversion process unless it is only done very infrequently...

------
My machines listed in the order I got them:

Vintage metal Brother straight stitcher (Gretta)
Brother PC-420 (Benny)
Bernina Artista 200 (Miss Priss)
Vintage hand crank Singer 128 clone with LaVincendora decals (Vinny)

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

Subject: Im wanting to jump into embroidery! Date: 5/27/14 0:19 AM

I have several machines and the funny thing is I like to sit and watch the stitchout. I agree with PattiAnnJ - do what you please.

cjohns2
cjohns2  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/9/13
Send Message

Date: 5/27/14 6:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I do have 2 other SM's a Viking 500 and a new Brother SB3129 that I bought for the RV that I've liked sewing on so much I took it off the RV and put it in my sewing rm.

I think I'm going to go for the stand alone EM!
-- Edited on 5/27/14 6:32 AM --

------
Brother SB3129
Viking 500
Babylock Serger Enlighten
Babylock EM Spirit

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to cjohns2 <<

Date: 5/27/14 10:54 AM

Quote: cjohns2
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I do have 2 other SM's a Viking 500 and a new Brother SB3129 that I bought for the RV that I've liked sewing on so much I took it off the RV and put it in my sewing rm.

I think I'm going to go for the stand alone EM!
-- Edited on 5/27/14 6:32 AM --

Now that wasn't so tough....you are all set for sewing/w back-up.

No brainer. Brother or Babylock. Test drive before you buy.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: Im wanting to jump into embroidery! Date: 5/27/14 10:55 AM

I think a stand alone would work out nicely. That is if you think you would not want another sewing machine.
At one time I had an entry level stand alone and 2 sm. Right now I have 2 combos (one is up for sale) and 2 sewing machines. I go back and forth about what I need.
Sometimes it's nice to have all three set up for sewing - one with a straight stitch plate for topstitching and another for construction and another with the contrast thread. But usually my portable is packed up and ready to tote to my next class.
But that is laziness really and I should be quite happy with one to sew and one to embroider. You know your situation better than anyone else so get what makes the most sense to your sewing.

I will say I liked starting with the inexpensive stand alone small hoop machine. I had more money for all the embroidery paraphernalia (which can add up to another thousand very quickly). It took me 2 years to figure out embroidery and outgrow the hoop size and upgrade to a larger combo machine. Even now I rarely go beyond the 5x7 but when I need it I like that I now have it.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Subject: Im wanting to jump into embroidery! Date: 5/27/14 12:57 PM

I prefer a standalone so I can sew and embroider at the same time. I don't need, nor want, a combo machine.

The only reason I ever became interested in embroidery was because of PR members. I bought the frequently discussed Janome MC300E and loved it. Still do. That machine allowed me to get in to embroidery without spending an arm and a leg, yet with a large enough hoop size to do most of my projects. It also allows for very basic on-screen editing with multiple designs. I purchased Embird to go along with it. No regrets.

The newer model 350E is a super machine. The improvements are such that I would like to trade my machine it, however, I can't justify it because my embroidery is very spotty. Many months without doing it, then a month of seemingly non-stop embroidery. Many lulls, few busy periods.

Another nice, less expensive option is the Brother PE780, however, I like the Janome 350E better because of being able to import and see multiple designs on screen without the use of software.

Truthfully, I don't use my embroidery machine that much, but for the times I do it's a great machine to have in the sewing arsenal. No regrets on my purchase.

I don't know what machine you're considering, but I've never felt the purchase was a waste of time nor money. Research the machines and go for it!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

Date: 5/27/14 1:38 PM

I have the standalone Janome 300E embroidery machine. I definitely enjoy having a dedicated emb machine separate from my sewing machines. At first I had a combo machine and decided to switch to the 300E. I've had it for over 8 years of very heavy daily use and it's still going strong!

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.PatternHackFairy.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I'm wanting to jump into embroidery!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

HotPatterns 1031

photo
by: jewelea

Review
SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.