SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Kenmore 158.960- NEED CAM 1 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kenmore 158.960- NEED CAM 1
Jeansguy1991
Jeansguy1991
Member since 5/26/14
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 9:36 AM

Recently I bought a kenmore 158.960 with a buttonhole set on eBay. However, it did not include cam 1 which according to the manual is required to use the set and sew the style of zig zag I need. Does anyone happen to own or know where I can purchase this cam? I am tired of searching eBay as it appears everyone has every cam but this one.

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to Jeansguy1991 <<

Date: 5/26/14 12:42 PM

I don't have one. sorry

Have you tried the various vintage Kenmore yahoo groups? Or even the general vintage sewing machine groups? They tend to be very helpful.

Based on what I've read on some of these groups, what you are looking for is not easy to find. But I'm sure it's out there and someone is sitting on one and doesn't even know what they've got.

Good luck. :)

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Jeansguy1991
Jeansguy1991
Member since 5/26/14
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 1:30 PM

Thanks. Yeah I am still in wait to join two groups. I am thinking I should've picked a different machine this part appears to be super hard to find. If anyone has one I will pay top dollar for the part number 26841

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 1:52 PM

You could also post an ISO on Sewitsforsale yagoo group.
Lots of stuff shows up there.
Have you tried sewing machine parts online dealers?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 1:59 PM

That is the big huge problem with any old machine that needs a cam to just even do only the zig zag, once that cam is lost, if you can't find it, then you don't even have a zig zag. And that's not the only one like that, there are a few other good machines that need a cam even for a zig zag too.

But, since you just got a button hole set, maybe you really got another way to at least force and make some kind of a zig zag now, out of it and even with that. Did you try that?

Without a cam, I can't see how you could get any needle swing at all, but with the buttonholer on there, if that is moving the fabric side ways instead, then if you set up for a buttonhole, and you just turn the dails to start sewing, but never turn them for the end of the button hole or to do the other side of that buttonhole, that might be sewing you out a zig zag even just like that. Might be kind of small and tight if you could get that to happen, but if so, better than no zig zag at all.

Maybe just look for another old green Kenmore, ( the Goodwill Store si often a good place for that) and one a bit newer than that, more mid 70's and beyond, that at least has a built in cam stack for zig zag and a bunch of utility stitches, and then only has cams for all those extra stitches instead. And still made in Japan and made really nice. You could probably find one of those for less than $25 or $50 which might be less than the zig zag cam if you could even find one someplace.

Or get any other cam for it that would fit for any other stitch, single or double cam, and then since it's just a piece of plastic that your cam finger travels on, maybe you could file one of those down, with a file and some sandpaper, as long as it was larger in the right places, to just make a plain zig zag cam out of it- you might even be able to do that.
-- Edited on 5/26/14 2:07 PM --

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 3:22 PM

Don't forget to try shopgoodwill.com
They list lots of old sewing machines and accessories. Generally less expensive than ebay, but of course you don't get the guarantees.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Jeansguy1991
Jeansguy1991
Member since 5/26/14
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 5/26/14 3:37 PM

I just came across a 70s japan made model on eBay, the 1430 where the seller showed it sewing through 8 layers of denim and it had the stitches pre built in but it was still all metal. Wish I had bought one like that but for now I will continue my search

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 5:04 PM

I know per other discussions here that cams on ebay are frequently mislabeled.
This set was listed on an expired listing for the Kenmore in 158.960, but these (link below) currently listed cams appear to be the same ones as the expired listing... Are these right?
eBay listing

Does anyone know if these green cams are the right match for this 158.960 machine? The listing just says Kenmore...

Jeansguy1991
Jeansguy1991
Member since 5/26/14
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<

Date: 5/26/14 6:00 PM

Everything appears to correct and it's definetely the right box, I emailed the seller and hopefully that contains cam 26841 because the pics aren't clear. Let me know if you come across anymore like this!

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 5/26/14 6:26 PM

Awesome! I hope you get it! Don't forget the box may contain a three point zigzag which is better than nothing... and preferred by some people.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Kenmore 158.960- NEED CAM 1

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1034

photo
by: lamstu

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2010-116

photo
by: liliv

Review
Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.