SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > babylock symphony vs janome 6600, 7700 or 8900 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
babylock symphony vs janome 6600, 7700 or 8900
which one?
devildogdiablo
devildogdiablo
Member since 5/29/14
Send Message

Date: 5/29/14 9:30 AM

I am currently in the market for a new sewing machine. I have had a Bernina 1630 since 1993 and although I have been looking at several of the new Bernina's, I'm not sure that is the way I'd like to go......
Tried out the Janomes yesterday and I was impressed especially with the ease of machine quilting with them...
any thoughts on the Babylock Symphony vs these machines?
Help!

ctar
ctar
Beginner
TX
Member since 5/13/13
Send Message

Date: 5/29/14 9:58 AM

I just got the babylock crescendo three months ago, and it is amazing. I love the ease of use and quality. Is there a huge price jump between the Aria (the crescendo without the laser and sensor pen)? If not I wud definitely look at the aria.

Best of luck on your search!

Sewsillymom
Sewsillymom
NJ
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to ctar <<

Date: 5/29/14 11:15 AM

Do you find you use the laser and pen much? I have thought about the Aria but am being pulled toward the pretty lights of the laser on the crescendo. I do tend to get distracted by sparkly things (oooh pretty) like a baby is distracted by jangling a set of keys LOL so I would like to know just how useful that set of bells and whistles actually is. :-)

------
Singer 9960, 221K - black and white/green, 15-30 treadle, 201-2, 237, 301,603, 99, 15-90, Babylock Emore, Brother 1034D serger, Sergemate 4350D Serger, Babylock coverstitch, Morse fotomatic 4300, Kenmore 86, Kenmore 385-1249380, Royal HA-1,

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/29/14 1:53 PM

Sooooooooooo ... I have the Janome 8900, and if I had to decide between it and the Symphony, I would go with the 8900 mostly on the basis of the extra space to the right of the needle. I mean, it may not SEEM like a lot, but that extra 3" is the difference between a sore shoulder and putting it out of joint. LOL

But personally, if I were looking for a sewing only machine, I would take a look at the Aria. Personally, I'm a Brother girl, so that would be about the equivalent of the VQ3000, I think, or the VQ2400. I have the VM5100, which has embroidery capability and I love that machine almost as much as I love my husband.

I prefer the Brother over the Janome for many reasons, not the least of which is the noise. The Janome is VERY noisy, while the Brother purrs, and since the Baby Lock is made by Brother, it also purrs.

Just my 0.02 ...
-- Edited on 5/29/14 1:53 PM --

------
Brother PC-8500
Brother SQ9050
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Viking #1+
Singer 500A

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/29/14 2:41 PM

Interesting, I was choosing between these same machines just over three years ago. I chose babylock Symphony because the dealer for babylock is much closer to my house than the janome dealer. Also, if you are looking for extra feet, I found many more sources for babylock than for Janome.
The Janome Dealer also sold brothers and told me they had more trouble with brother than with Janome. Brothers are supposed to be the same as babylock but I still don't believe it. I have had way too much trouble with my brother 780D embroidery machine.

Oh and I thought I would use the free arm which is not available on the Janome.

I still love my Symphony and only regret not spending just a little more and getting a combo embroidery machine. I have had absolutely no troubles with my Babylock and have now made a few quilts as well as a many apparel items. I have not ever found anything too hard for the babylock.

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

In reply to allycovey <<

Date: 5/29/14 2:55 PM

Hmmm ... I disagree with pretty much everything you've said. First off, you can LOOK at the Symphony and then look at the Brother equivalent and tell they are the same basic machine - the interface is exactly the same. Multiple Babylock dealers have told me that Brother makes the upper end machines for them, and some of the mid and lower are made by Janome. In fact, I don't think Babylock produces any of their own machines at this point; they are all outsourced from what I understand.

Second, if there is any difference at all between the number of Janomes that have issues and the number of Brothers that have issues, the number is miniscule. I have had four Brother machines, my mom has had two and my dad has had two. Not a problem among them that wasn't "man made." And I'm not sure what you mean by the Janome not having a free arm, because the 8900 most certainly does.

It's all a matter of personal preference, but the main thing I would look for in a quilting machine would be the space to the right of the needle. Beyond that, as long as the machine makes a good straight stitch, there's not much more one NEEDS to quilt. The rest of it is just fluff (I love the fluff, but it's not necessary).

------
Brother PC-8500
Brother SQ9050
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Viking #1+
Singer 500A

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 5/29/14 6:21 PM

I recently added the brother vq3000 to my sewing room, I don't know the babylock equivalent but it is a much quieter machine than my other brothers and quieter than the janome 1600p I have (but admittedly never use much).

I didn't really need the 3000 but I loved the idea of laser and the pen. I didn't think it would be as nice as my Quattro but it pretty much is.

I'm a brother fan because 4 brothers and never a problem if baby locks are as good then they would be my choice.

maminstl
maminstl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/19/13
Send Message

Date: 5/29/14 10:41 PM

I have the crescendo and use the laser all the time . I had a symphony,but moved up for the harp space and the great lighting. I think the symphony is going to be replaced with aria. I chose babylock because of the dealer,and it is a local company for me

------
maminstl

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 5/30/14 2:22 AM

I tested the symphony at a quilt show last year. For the money you get 173644637382 stitches, those maxi directional stitches and just about every foot and accessory you will ever need. Oh and a table. The lighting is good, I found it easy to use, you get auto hover OR a knee lift and it has the manual presser foot lift. Its pretty much the perfect machine. Too bad for me the babylock was too expensive in my area. When it comes to harp space pay attention to machine height, not just bed space.

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

In reply to devildogdiablo <<

Date: 5/31/14 0:01 AM

I have had the babylock before the symphony, and it is a lovely machine, never had one single issue, traded it for the brother dreamweaver, talk about 5 steps up, it is even more amazing and they are in fact the same machine as their babylock versions with a change in embroidery designs and outer shell, that is it. I have had brothers for 20years now exclusively with the exception of my brother made babylock and none of mine have ever given me problems even the cheapies so my suspect is that the dealer is pushing you towards a janome because my dealer has sold numerous brands and when I thought of maybe looking at another brand my dealer said the brothers have way less problems and in 20 years since mine have had none I say the proof is in the pudding. I would take a look at the aria if the crescendo is out of budget, but I do find the pen very useful, sometimes moreso than the laser but I have used that as well so i would go crescendo over the 3 janomes if you can afford because the dual feed on the vseries machines are incredible, and accufeed while built in does not have the same capabilities to me. If you have a brother dealer nearby sometimes you can get the machine for quite a bit cheaper usually around 500 dollars cheaper than the same babylock

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> babylock symphony vs janome 6600, 7700 or 8900

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Vogue Patterns 8765

photo
by: imsewcrazy

Review
New Look 6140

photo
by: Crystal Pl...

Review
Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Buy Now
Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.