SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > It's like marrying the wrong person ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
It's like marrying the wrong person
Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 5/31/14 10:48 AM

This morning, I listed Ricco, my Janome 8900, on Craigslist. I've had the machine since February 2013, and I just haven't bonded with it. I bought a Brother DreamCreator (George) in March of this year, and I've done all sorts of sewing on it, and I thought that maybe I would use the 8900 for ... something. I don't know what, but something. I've kept a chart of the sewing I've done and on which machine, and I've turned on the 8900 exactly three times since the DC came home with me. Once, I turned it on to make a pinwheel block with it, because I'd already made all the other pinwheels on it. I turned it off as soon as that was done. Once, I turned it on to test sew on it after it came back from its spa day; that lasted about 10 minutes or so. And earlier this week, I turned it on and sewed a couple seams on it to demonstrate to my mom the difference between how the 8900 sounds and how the Brother sounds. That's it. Every time I turn it on, my mood changes, and I finally realized this week that I'm not going to use it, so it's a beautiful machine just sitting there doing nothing.

So, I'm going to sell it. And while I haven't ever really bonded with it, this sort of feels like a divorce from someone you like but you just don't love. No real animosity, but just an intense desire to move on to something new and exciting. I can't even say I'm going to miss Ricco and the good times we've had, because even though he is a good machine, and we did some beautiful work together ... I think it could have been better with George, or maybe a new machine to replace Ricco as a back up (Brother, of course) ...

I'm in no rush to sell him, and I doubt he'll sell very fast, but I hope his future owner will be able to give him the love he deserves, and that he'll be able to inspire the passion in his new owner he could never ignite in me.

------
Brother PC-8500
Brother SQ9050
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Viking #1+
Singer 500A

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/31/14 12:38 PM

I am glad you decided to part ways. You used him 3 times. You never bonded. I know it will be hard to part ways and it is time to do so. I hope you get a quick sale and things go well for you. I also hope the new owner sews on this machine like it deserves to be sewn on.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

Subject: Its like marrying the wrong person Date: 5/31/14 12:56 PM

Well, I used him a lot more than that when I didn't have another machine. But since I got my new machine in March, yeah, three times. It's very very sad ...

------
Brother PC-8500
Brother SQ9050
Janome 8900
Viking #1+
Singer 500A

Whippet girl
Whippet girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/27/13
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 5/31/14 2:26 PM

It's a funny old thing isn't it, whether we bond with a machine or not.
You have done the right thing putting him up for sale.
I traded my 750QE in for a 550QE after a 11 months. I LOVE my 550.
The 750 behaved impeccably but it's just like something is missing isn't it.
I also found the machine felt too big somehow. Weird as I as I am used to industrial machines!

I wish there was a bond detector to help us avoid mistakes...

Good luck with your sale and new machine.

Pomegranate27
Pomegranate27
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/19/14
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 5/31/14 6:21 PM

Good for you! You'll feel much better once you have cash in hand! Wish you lots luck on your sale and hopefully it's a quick and easy process!

erinsluck
star
erinsluck  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WV USA
Member since 11/22/11
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 5/31/14 7:07 PM

I have the JANOME 9900 and love it. I sewed on the 8900 on a cruise and it drove me nuts. I did find out the feed dogs are different

------
Erin "Debbie" Wilson
Babylock Ellisimo Gold II, Bernina 830LE, Babylock Ovation, Janome 9900 and Featherflock

erinsluck
star
erinsluck  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WV USA
Member since 11/22/11
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 5/31/14 7:08 PM

I have the JANOME 9900 and love it. I sewed on the 8900 on a cruise and it drove me nuts. I did find out the feed dogs are different

------
Erin "Debbie" Wilson
Babylock Ellisimo Gold II, Bernina 830LE, Babylock Ovation, Janome 9900 and Featherflock

ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 6/1/14 11:35 AM

But even if you lose money it's still a lot cheaper to break up with a sewing machine that isn't a good match, plus it doesn't argue over how much of the value of every piece of fabric and pack of needles it's entitled to!!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Subject: Its like marrying the wrong person Date: 6/1/14 12:20 PM

After 50+ years I know I married the right person!

So far, I have not met a SM I did not like.

Good luck with the Brother.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

Date: 6/1/14 1:30 PM

I'm considering a purchase of a back up machine once the Janome sells. I thought, Maybe I should try out a Viking or a Pfaff. My mom has a couple Vikings, one of which I have here, that I really like. Geebus! Those machines were L O U D!!! Not sure what happened because they were never that loud before! It was like sitting next to a herd of old Singers running at full speed.

------
Brother PC-8500
Brother SQ9050
Janome 8900
Viking #1+
Singer 500A

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> It's like marrying the wrong person

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-118

photo
by: Pinkytoo

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.