SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > 'Hover' or auto foot lift on sewing machines... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
'Hover' or auto foot lift on sewing machines...
Which company had the first and when?
SewPerfect
star
SewPerfect  Friend of PR
Advanced
NC
Member since 1/6/04
Send Message

Date: 5/31/14 11:28 PM

Was having a conversation with a person at a quilt show today and got to talking about the merits of various machines. Auto foot lift with needle down - anyone know about when this feature was put into use? Or what company had it first?

------
Happy Seams to you....until we meet again!
In the corral: Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, Bernina 930 Record, Brother PQ1500S, Singer 15-91, Singer 221 Featherweight, Pfaff serger

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 8/25/09
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/31/14 11:56 PM

I'm probably wrong here, but the first one that comes to my mind is the Viking Designer 1... wish I could find a good deal on a used one :o)

Does anyone else know if that's right?

------
Vintage metal Brother straight stitcher (Gretta)
Brother PC-420 (Benny)
Bernina Artista 200 (Miss Priss)

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 6/1/14 1:14 AM

Home sewing machine first, or industrial?

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SewPerfect
star
SewPerfect  Friend of PR
Advanced
NC
Member since 1/6/04
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/1/14 7:50 AM

Home sewing machine.

------
Happy Seams to you....until we meet again!
In the corral: Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, Bernina 930 Record, Brother PQ1500S, Singer 15-91, Singer 221 Featherweight, Pfaff serger

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 6/1/14 11:36 AM

I believe it was the Viking Designer I. According to a History timeline on their website:

"1998
Husqvarna Viking introduced a completely new sewing experience: the Husqvarna Viking Designer I with such World unique features as The Sensor Foot Lift, Sensor Foot Pressure, Selective Thread Cutters, Colour Touch Screen and Built-in Disk Drive."

I remember first seeing it in person on the first generation of Sapphires and was intrigued about it not having a presser foot lever in back. I bought a Brother QC-1000 a few years ago and it had the feature, along with a raise/lower button on the front, a knee lever and a manual lever. I could even adjust how high the hover went. I found myself using the button on the front almost exclusively.

I now have a Viking Sapphire 960Q and can't imagine buying a new machine without hover and auto lift, plus being able to tap the foot pedal to raise or lower the needle.
-- Edited on 6/1/14 11:38 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Hover or auto foot lift on sewing machines... Date: 6/1/14 12:16 PM

I'll take the "Benghazi Hilliary" on this one!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

Subject: Hover or auto foot lift on sewing machines... Date: 6/1/14 1:12 PM

How does the hover lift work? When you stop sewing, the needle stays down and the presser foot lifts up automatically? I obviously do not have this feature but I think I've seen this on sewing tutorials/classes from Craftsy. I'd assumed the teacher was using a knee lift because I hadn't know this automatic lift feature to exist.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Melcalifornia <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/1/14 1:30 PM

Yes, that's how it works. The knee lever on your Juki is the next best thing. We all have machine features that sing to us.

Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the simple mindfulness of coming to the end of a seam, manually raising a presser foot and moving the fabric out to cut with trusty scissors. I waver between awesome vintage machines like my Singer 401 and the fancy Viking. So nice to have features that make sewing easier!
-- Edited on 6/1/14 2:38 PM --

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Hover or auto foot lift on sewing machines... Date: 6/1/14 1:54 PM

It doesn't lift up all the way. It lifts just a little so you can shift your fabric as needed but its still mostly down keeping things in place

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to AminaHijabi <<

Date: 6/1/14 3:51 PM

For the hover, it doesn't lift all the way up. Or it can be set at 3/4 lift or full lift.

I love auto presser foot lift and not having a manual lift on the machine. It would save me a lot of time spent staring at my manual lift machines, waiting for their foot to raise!

-- Edited on 6/1/14 3:52 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> 'Hover' or auto foot lift on sewing machines...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Butterick 5470

photo
by: Sybariticm...

Review
SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 2948

photo
by: pdiddly

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.