SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > I dreamed of Berninas last night ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I dreamed of Berninas last night
Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 12:25 PM

Yesterday, DH wanted to go to a store that's in a part of town we don't usually venture to, simply because we don't have a reason to go there very often. I decided that since we were going that way, I'd stop at a machine dealer I know of in the area (I used to live in this area). They used to sell Brother machines, but they don't anymore - it's all Bernina. So, I looked. And tested. And they are nice machines, and as far as dollar amounts, not as expensive as I thought. But when it comes to features ... I don't think they have as many features of other brands at the price points I was quoted. Still, I dreamed about the 550QE all of last night. LOL

I did really like the 3 series - they seem like they would make great travel machines, and the prices were reasonable.

I have read of some problems with Bernina machines lately, but aren't those mostly confined to the 7 & 8 series?

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Singer 500A
White Serger (I can never remember the model, but it's older)
Dreaming of a Babylock Enlighten!

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/2/03
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/3/14 12:31 PM

I have a 580 and no problems to report at all! I'm a Bernina girl primarily because I love the precision and reliabilty they have and all my machines can share the same accessories. My 580 will undoubtably be the last machine I buy for a very, very long time but I'm very please with it.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, B580, B780
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, BL Enlighten, BL Sashiko, BL Cover Stitch, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<

Date: 6/3/14 12:49 PM

Why dream of the B550 when you could dream of the B560?

There's been some buttonhole issues with the 5 series, but AFAIK that's been corrected. Otherwise, yes, issues seem to be more with the 7 & 8 series machines, not the 3s and 5s.

I think the 5 series are such pretty machines (especially the B560), in a nice standard size with a decent set of features.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/3/14 1:10 PM

She didn't even show me a 560 ... I wonder how much that would be? I did just take a glance at my regular dealer's website and they sell Bernina too (I thought they did, but I wasn't sure). They are an hour away but I love them. I might need to take a little drive soon and see how much these machines are with them - they tend to have really good prices, though the other dealer is close at hand, and I probably would need lessons on it.

What really surprised me was that I got the same feeling of chemistry when I sat down at the Berninas that I get with the Brother - and that I never have experienced with my Janome or Viking (the Viking is my mom's so it stays, but I don't use it often). I really didn't expect to like the Bernina, but I DID. I mean, I had dreams about it all night ... that's gotta mean something, right?

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Singer 500A

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 1:16 PM

Quote:
that's gotta mean something, right?

Uh huh. It means another case of SMAD.

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 1:23 PM

Lynn, you should come with your own enabler alert/warning label. LOL

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Singer 500A

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 6/3/14 1:25 PM

She may not have the 560? (Lynn Rowe does the 560 have hoover feature?)
I have a 380 its a sweet machine, Im PM ing you.
The 560 is a very versital machine. And you can add embroidery if ever you want to. It is more the question of what you would prefer a 9mm rotary hook machine with the possibility of adding embroidery or a 5.5mm machine with the oscilating hook as in the 5 and 3 series.
The 7's were off to a rocky start but Bernina has address most all issues with them. They are still working on a fix for the less then perfect far right from center straight stitch. They are wonderful inovated machines, give them a look too. (a different higher price point)
Berninas do not have all the bells and whistles that other machines have at the same pricepoint. No multidirectional stitches is the biggest one I can think of. However I feel they make up for it in otherways.

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Artsewer <<

Date: 6/3/14 2:04 PM

The 560 doesn't have auto hover, and has the manual presser foot lift. It does come with the FHS, for those who like knee lifts.

------

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Skratchie <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 2:04 PM

Oops, did my warning label fall off?

------

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 6/3/14 2:42 PM

Why yes, yes it did, Lynn. LOL

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Singer 500A

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I dreamed of Berninas last night

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Butterick B4976

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Simplicity 2749

photo
by: Steph huck

Review
SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Wonder Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 300mm Square Snap PATTERN ONLY Pattern

You Sew Girl 300mm Square Snap PATTERN ONLY Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.