SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Intro and advice-Pfaff or Janome? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Intro and advice-Pfaff or Janome?
Getting a "quilting"machine
Pamcmpbll
Pamcmpbll
Member since 6/2/14
Send Message

Date: 6/3/14 1:28 PM

New member here. I have the newer Babylock Esante but I have this urge to quilt. I am looking for a machine dedicated to quilting. I want the larger throat space. Considering the Janome New Home 7700, the Janome 8200 or the new Pfaff 5.0. The Pfaff is much less expensive. Thoughts?? I have to decide today as the interest free financing ends today. I have a headache from researching over the last week. Help...😁

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 6/3/14 1:57 PM

I'd love to do a shout out for Janome because I love their machines but...both machines have a different feel. You really have to try them both out, perhaps bringing your own quilt sandwiches and piecing to try out both.

If you are considering Janome, remember that the 8200 and 7700 have different Accufeed setups. The 8200 is the Accufeed Flex (da bomb!) and the 7700 is plain Accufeed (nice though). Make sure you understand the differences between the 8200 and the 8900 if you are considering a Janome. I wouldn't consider an 8200 because of the left/right needle increments and memory storage. But that's just me--to each his/her own.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Pamcmpbll <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 2:01 PM

My choice; the Pfaff 5.0

Pfabulously nice machine, and of course it has the IDT (integrated walking foot).

But only you can decide which you like better.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/3/14 3:54 PM

Quote: LynnRowe
My choice; the Pfaff 5.0

Pfabulously nice machine, and of course it has the IDT (integrated walking foot).
<
But only you can decide which you like better.

I love the original built-in Pfaff IDT !
cherylwashere
star
cherylwashere  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 4/10/04
Send Message

In reply to Pamcmpbll <<

Date: 6/3/14 10:01 PM

PFAFF...

------
Bernina 820, Bernina 330, Pfaff Creative 7530, Janome 1600P

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

In reply to Pamcmpbll <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/3/14 10:38 PM

You don't need to rush, financing happens all year long, there will be another one in a few months, take your time and try out the machines. I have heard the janomes within their models do have a different feel and even the feed dogs can be different so you really need to know which one you prefer. I think IDT on pfaff and accufeed on janome are also very different so i would also make some sit down time with pfaff.

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 1:01 AM

Janome - I have found that they are not as fussy and sensitive as Pfaff

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 7:26 AM

Welcome to PR.
Its funny how we get all hyped by the Dealers 'great deal' that ends today.

Another one will come along- just as good if not better. Use the time between the deals to analyze your needs and demo them all for best fit. Then, wait for the next sale and dive in.

Nothing is worse than that good deal you regret every time you sit down to sew.

Both brands are good but don't rule out other brands. Use this lull to shop around and use PR to research and ask questions of the owners of models that interest you.

I have a Babylock for the quilting stitches and FM. I use an older Pfaff for precision seams and I have a Janome that plows through layers of heavy fabric like butter.

Enjoy your search!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to Pamcmpbll <<

Date: 6/4/14 7:41 AM

I have owned the Pfaff 5.0 for a year now. Great machine!
-- Edited on 6/4/14 7:42 AM --

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

travel4fabric
travel4fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/7/13
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 12:27 PM

Janome has always been easier to operate and learn than Pfaff. After trading my Pfaff 1475 for a Janome 9000 I have sewn with Janome exclusively. I have the Janome 7700 and like the Accufeed on the Janome better than the Pfaff IDT. Ryan's mom is correct the Accufeed is different on the 7700 than on the 8900. You need to test drive both to see what you like. I'm thinking about trading for a 8900, can't make up my mind yet. BTW Janome comes out with no interest no payment plans periodically.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Intro and advice-Pfaff or Janome?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2593

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Buy Now
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.