SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina walking foot ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina walking foot
question about genuine versus generic
Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
Member since 8/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/4/14 2:56 AM

I've had my Artista 200 for almost a year now and the one thing it didn't come with was a walking foot. I usually just take the quilting to my trusty Brother PC 420 since it did come with one, but the Bernina handles thick fabric so much better that I would love to try it with her... I tried it without the walking foot and got puckers on the top and bottom...

So, I need to get a walking foot.... The problem is that Bernina walking feet are 200 dollars! I don't consider myself cheap, but I'm also not a millionaire and I'm saving to go to nursing school.... I just can't pay 200 dollars for a presser foot just because it has the word Bernina printed on the side.... I've had entire machines that didn't cost that much!

So I've been looking into (be sitting down before you read this) generic walking feet for my Bernina. There, I said it.... it was hard!

There is one that looks identical to the Bernina one, but isn't 200 dollars... I don't know if Bernina makes their own walking feet or if they contract them out like they do their sergers, but if they do, this foot could even be made in the same factory as the Bernina one... it looks that identical minus the word Bernina printed on the side... It even has the rubber teeth like the real Bernina one does... I'd love to experience that since I've only used walking feet with plastic teeth hitherto.

Online, opinions seem to vary... Some people think that it might not be as durable as the genuine one, but that it's still ok... others are a bit more extreme and seem to think that if you get a generic foot within 10 feet of your Bernina, the machine will instantly turn into a puddle of molten plastic and metal.... they also cite voiding warranty issues but since I'm the second owner of the machine, the shop that originally sold it went out of business a few years ago, and the machine is practically vintage... it was made in 2002 which was the year I graduated high school.... there's no issue with warranty, there isn't a warranty anymore!

So, what do you think? I'm just starting to like the machine and don't want her to contract a fatal or incurable disease just because daddy didn't buy her name brand shoes! But 200 dollars!?

I'm going to try to attach a link to the foot in question, but PR doesn't work very well on my phone....

Thankswalking foot

------
My machines listed in the order I got them:

Vintage metal Brother straight stitcher (Gretta)
Brother PC-420 (Benny)
Bernina Artista 200 (Miss Priss)
Vintage hand crank Singer 128 clone with LaVincendora decals (Vinny)

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/4/14 9:49 AM

It is a chunka change. I have heard others say they've used generics ok. Personally I feel I have so much invested in my machine I want to use accessories made specifically for it to fit and perform perfectly. And I also want to support dealers so they'll be there when I need them, either for purchase, education, service - ya can't take a machine like this to Acme Sew 'n Vac where they may be fine at basic mechanicals but are not getting trained by the manufacturer on computerized complicated machinery!
So if it were me I'd try and hold off until I could afford it but enhance my effort by getting on every mail/email list for dealers in my area, going in and asking about upcoming sales or discounts if you're a club member, if there are coupons you don't know about, etc., or check the yahoo sewitsforsale list where a lot of folks buy/trade/sell different equipment as they upgrade, downsize, acquire muliples, etc.!

------
Karen

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 9:55 AM

The accessories made for your machine are the best to buy. Karen is right on. You have an excellent machine, why not accessorize it over time with the best accessories for it! Bernina dealers often have 25% coupons for accessories. Sign up for a newsletter from a local dealer and see what you can accumulate over the next few years!You might also advertise here in the WANTED for a previously owned foot.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 9:55 AM

I have the real foot for both my Mechanical 1010 and the computerized group. They are very substantal and well made. I have a generic for my Singers and there is absolutely no comparison.

The one for my Singers is absolutely chessy compared to the real Bernina one. I know it's expensive but it comes with three foot options and a guide. I think it's totally worth the investment but I can tell you I got the real one for the computerized group on Ebay.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, B580, B780
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, BL Enlighten, BL Sashiko, BL Cover Stitch, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 10:13 AM

The generic ones are clunky and noisy too! The Bernina one comes with 3 different soles for different applications. I use mine frequently.
It is oh so worth it!!
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 10:24 AM

I bought the Bernina #50 walking foot about a year ago from my dealer and I didn't pay anything like $200 although I don't remember exactly how much it was.
There are some on ebay in the under $100 range.
I have to say that whatever it cost, it was well worth the price, it works amazingly well.

-- Edited on 6/4/14 10:25 AM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 10:46 AM

Try ebay or SewItsForSale or even see if the Bernina yahoo groups allow ISO posts. There are accessories for which the generic is fine, but the walking foot isn't one I'd try. I've never heard of the walking foot being one of those where the brand name is identical to the generic (which is the case with the Suisei binders). If it were, I think it would have been mentioned here or the yahoo groups and someone would have heard of it.

The Bernina walking foot now comes with 3 interchangeable soles. If you buy an older one with just 2 soles, you can buy just the new sole separately.

I understand about saving for nursing school! Graduated 18+ years ago. Best of luck!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

cruzer2013
cruzer2013
Intermediate
Member since 8/11/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/4/14 4:24 PM

Being the ever skeptical person that I am, I purchased some of the knock off walking feet to see if they were indeed worth buying. They narrowly missed making a decent product. Where Bernina uses what I assume to be a teflon sleeve over the piece on the arm that actuates the feed dogs, the knock offs use metal on metal. My experience was that after about 3 months there started to appear on the fabric, fine metal shavings that stained. Upon disassembling the walking foot, I found substantial wear and would conclude that the viable life of this foot was very short. I have already contacted the distributor and made them aware. I don't know if there will be any changes. At this point, I certainly can't recommend them.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 0:55 AM

My dealer gets used accessories in all the time. Let your dealer know you're on the lookout for a walking foot. Maybe one will turn up.

------
Stash: 172.5 yds. @ 12.27.14

madhatress

madhatress  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Canada
Member since 1/21/04
Send Message

In reply to cruzer2013 <<

Date: 6/5/14 7:53 AM

Thanks for this answer Cruzer. It's nice to have evidence to back up the claim that the generic walking foot is inferior.

------
Nadia
Tech lover!
Old black Singer (99?), Viking Designer Diamond Royale, Bernina 750QE, Brother CV 2340 and Babylock Imagine Wave

I think my SMAD is finally under control..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina walking foot

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Lutterloh 2005-14

photo
by: Mufffet

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2012-123

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.