SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Sewing Machines and Thrift Stores ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing Machines and Thrift Stores
frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 3:36 PM

I seem to be following a thrift store theme this week.

When sewing machines are donated to thrift stores, do they keep the accessories and all the bits with them, or do they separate them and put the accessories over in the jumble of other stuff that nobody knows what it is?

I can't imagine why someone would donate a vintage sewing machine without all its feet and accessories, but they are never with the machine. What's the deal with that?

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 3:38 PM

I've never found a machine at a thrift store but I have friends that have. They got the machines with the accessories. Otherwise they both said they would have passed.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, B580, B780
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, BL Enlighten, BL Sashiko, BL Cover Stitch, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/4/14 4:36 PM

My suggestion is to ask about the accessories if you don't see them. Sometimes they bag them and put them in the back so they don't "get lost".

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 4:48 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I think when they get donated they aren't always together.
I have lots of attachments and accessories I've acquired at thrift shops and garage sales, where no machine was in sight.
When I bought a machine in a cabinet it had everything with it, but yesterday I bought some Singer cams that were sitting on the shelf all by themselves.
If I like the machine and it has the foot pedal, I'll buy it. I find it pretty easy to find the accessories, especially if it's a Singer.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/4/14 4:52 PM

That's a common practice here too. Sometimes even the bobbin-case and power cords are removed and held w/ the other pieces. It all started bc items tended to disappear...especially FW (and 301) bobbin cases. There should be a sign stating this, but usually there's not. It makes you wonder how many people mosey on not realizing the parts are locked up on the premises!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 5:44 PM

Sometimes the sorters are just not knowledgeable enough to keep everything together.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to frame <<

Date: 6/4/14 5:55 PM

when most folks are getting rid of something, whatever it is, their main concern is to get rid of whatever it is as soon as possible. they are not concerned if all the parts are there or not, especially if giving the item away for free. many items are donated after the original owner has passed on. again, folks are not concerned with keeping it all together. i've been to many auctions where there were sewing machines. the machine in one spot, the accessories in another. the only folks who care are the folks interested in making a purchase. when i donate, i keep everything neatly tagged and tied together.

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 6:47 PM

It's also a good practice to check out the accessories to make sure they go with the machine you're looking at. Once I bought a very old White treadle machine in horrible condition because the drawers of the (falling apart) cabinet were full of Singer accessories and bobbins that would fit my Singer 99. I gave the machine to a friend to use in a flower bed.

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 6:47 PM

Based on all your replies, I should ask about extras and then check over in the big pile of stuff that nobody knows what it is. Ha!

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Addierecoy <<

Date: 6/4/14 8:12 PM

Quote: Addierecoy
I gave the machine to a friend to use in a flower bed.

Hysterical!

Would love to see a pic of that.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Sewing Machines and Thrift Stores

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Paradiso Designs Tiny Handbag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Tiny Handbag Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.