SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > My pfaff passport bobbin is winding from the bottom up is that normal? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My pfaff passport bobbin is winding from the bottom up is that normal?
And it seems loose
the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 10:40 PM

My pfaff passport 2.0 seems like it's winding the bobbin from the bottom and not even. It ends up even in the end but then seems loose and it's skipping stitches. I'm at my wit send!! Any ideas? Thanks!!

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 10:52 PM

And now it's just doing a birds nest.

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to the8dunlaps <<

Date: 6/4/14 11:02 PM

Have you tried using a different bobbin?

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 0:45 AM

Have you triple checked the manual and made sure you're following the thread path to the bobbin winder exactly? Even though I wind bobbins correctly all the time, one night I was sewing quite late and was tired. That was enough to throw me off in threading my PCP- I got a wonky bobbin. I went painstakingly through the manual and a light bulb went off. Every bobbin since then is perfect.

If you can't get this right yourself and quickly? I'd get the dealer's help. Bobbin winding is a basic that's essential to your sewing function; it has to be right.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/5/14 8:07 AM

I had a Passport and it is especially difficult to wind the bobbin. It takes a smaller bobbin than a regular size Pfaff even though a regular size bobbin fits.

I had a lot of trouble with missed stitches and stitches that were not as straight and tight as a regular Pfaff.

I finally traded that darling little machine in. Even thought I liked many of its features, that bobbin business was a deal breaker for me.

the8dunlaps
the8dunlaps
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/13
Send Message

In reply to sewdoggie22 <<

Date: 6/5/14 11:09 AM

That's it I bet! I just bought a generic bag of pfaff bobbins at my dealers and I wonder if they are causing trouble. Hmmmm
It's definitely in right. Threaded right. Thanks!!
It's not bird nesting now but it's funky.

janjo16
janjo16
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/15/13
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 11:34 AM

I can't check the bobbin winding now as my Pfaff passport is packed away but did you wind the thread clockwise around the bobbin winder tension disc? Although, it doesn't say in the manual, I hold on to the thread after threading it through the bobbin hole inside to outside till it's wound around the start a few times. Then I snip the thread close to the bobbin hole and carry on winding it at moderate speed.

I was getting a few skipped stitches when I was using this tricky material but after changing to a brand new Schmetz needle it seems ok. So for this Pfaff machine, Schmetz it is then. My Janome is not as fussy .

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 12:24 PM

Also winding at the slowest possible speed is better for bobbins in general.

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

Phigabe
star
Phigabe
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 6/25/13
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 1:23 PM

I have the Passport. Mine was doing a pyramid and never wound to the top. For some threads, I wrap it twice around the bobbin tension disc and that really help keep the winding even. Sometimes I help by lifting the thread up and down as it winds to even it out on the bobbin.

------
Bernina 1001 (2014)
Pfaff Passport 2.0 (2013)
Singer 401a (2001)

janjo16
janjo16
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/15/13
Send Message

Date: 6/6/14 12:15 PM

I see what you mean about the bobbin winding loosely. I just tried it now and experimented with winding it slowly and increasing the speed. At the lowest speed, it does go up to the top and bottom of the bobbin evenly but it winds more loosely. I found even so, it stitches ok - no skipped stitches. Then I wound it a high speed setting and this one was the best at the thread being wound tightly and even from top to bottom. At a speed a little above the slowest, I started to get the pyramid effect before it evens out again.
-- Edited on 6/6/14 12:24 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> My pfaff passport bobbin is winding from the bottom up is that normal?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Butterick 5748

photo
by: DaisyGrubb...

Review

Pattern

PerfectFuse Medium Black

PerfectFuse Medium Black

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern

J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
No Pattern Used 0000

photo
by: Renren

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.