SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Quantum L500 vs Quantum Stylist 9960 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Quantum L500 vs Quantum Stylist 9960
Deciding between two Singer sewing machines
lcstocking
lcstocking
Intermediate
Member since 6/3/14
Send Message

Date: 6/4/14 11:06 PM

Hi -- I'm looking for some help in deciding between two sewing machines: the Singer Quantum L500 and the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960.

As best I can tell, the two machines are really very similar. The L500 has Singer's Direct Feed System (DFS), which appears to be a close copy of the famed Pfaff IDT (I suppose nearly the exact same thing as they are now apparently owned by the same parent company). Other than that, price is the only other significant difference I see between the two machines. And it is a bid difference!

So, here are a few questions that I have:

1) Can anyone who has used both or is very familiar with both tell me whether there are any other important differences that I may be missing?

2) Can anyone who has used the L500 comment on the DFS? Is it worth the heavy premium that you apparently need to pay to upgrade from the 9960 to the L500?

3) Can anyone who has used a Pfaff compare the IDT to the DFS? Are there significant performance differences between the Singer DFS and the Pfaff IDT? Any other performance differences between a similarly featured Pfaff (say, the Quilt Expression 4.2) and the Singer L500?

4) Where can I actually buy an L500? I've been able to find plenty of reviews about the machine online, but have not been able to find a single place to purchase one! I think it's a relatively new machine, so I'm assuming it's still being manufactured/sold. Am I just missing something here? Is there a newer model of the L500 that I need to be looking for instead?

Thanks so much for your help. I've just recently started sewing seriously and I've found this site to be a great source of information and help!

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to lcstocking <<

Date: 6/5/14 0:05 AM

The L500 was made by the same factory that made the Baby Lock Quest and Quest Plus, Pfaff Smarter C1100-Pro, and Baby Lock Serenade. All very similar.

I have a Quest Plus, which I reviewed here on PR. Fabulous machine. The IDT is identical IMO to that of 2 Pfaffs I've had.

Afaik, these models are no longer being made. Too bad, really. I don't know anything about the Singer 9960, other than it seems to have good reviews.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 6/5/14 0:07 AM

Hello and welcome!

The L500 had a short run and was discontinued. You may find it used. BabyLock had a version(Quest) and Pfaff had one called the Smarter.

The 9960 is still available. There is also now the 9970, a slightly improved version of the 9960.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/5/14 11:39 AM

Hi, I own and use both of these machines. The L-500 is my main machine and I have done reviews on both of these machines if you'd like to take a look.
Yes, the Dual Feed on the L-500 it worth every penny! I love it and I use it 90% of the time I sew on this machine.

Here's a link to my reviews here on PR
My Reviews

-- Edited on 6/5/14 11:42 AM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

lcstocking
lcstocking
Intermediate
Member since 6/3/14
Send Message

Date: 6/6/14 2:48 AM

Thanks for the help. It really surprises/disappoints me that the L500 is no longer available. Does anyone know whether Singer replaced it with a comparable machine (ie, including the Dual Feed)?

lcstocking
lcstocking
Intermediate
Member since 6/3/14
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 6/6/14 3:53 AM

So, apparently, the Singer L500, Baby Lock Quest and Quest Plus, Pfaff Smarter C1100-Pro, and Baby Lock Serenade (e.g., all the models I'm aware of that included some kind of version of the Pfaff IDT, but at more budget-conscious price points) have all been discontinued. Someone at VSP corp must have decided that they were giving away too much of their IP. Super frustrating.

Is anyone else aware of a somewhat wallet friendly machine that includes a version of the IDT, or am I more or less stuck with a higher-end Pfaff if I really want it? (Unfortunately, it would seem that there are also not many people selling used models of any of the above machines, either. I can't blame them. Apparently they got quite the steal!)

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 6/6/14 9:11 AM

The L-500 was the only machine that Singer brought to the market that ever included the IDF. During the initial HSN presentation back in January of 2010, they even had one of those comparable machine on the set that they would reference. Singer is coming out this month with 2 new machines and neither of them have any new features. Really is a shame they didn't go back and tweak the L-500 and bring in a "round 2". I think the Pfaff Passport has IDF and is in a comparable price range to what the Quest was? Others here may know better than me since I'm not in the market for a new machine. I would also not suggest purchasing a used L-500. One of the PR members here had an unhappy experience with hers. Not sure of her outcome in the end, but I know she was quite disappointed. Good luck finding a great machine that you can bond with and Love! It's what we all want.

------

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/6/14 10:35 AM

And oddly enough, one of the models that Singer is coming out with is the very same model they had on HSN as the "competitor" to the L-500! (a Janome 6500P)

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 6/6/14 11:26 AM

Did the Janome version have IDF, Karen? I'm surprised the New Singer version doesn't. Disappointing isn't it? They added something great and then took it away.

------

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 6/6/14 12:05 PM

No, it didn't. It really wasn't an even comparison. The 6500 was the current "muscle" machine out and hsn was trying to present the L-500 as an equal. I ordered the L-500 on the first showing and really liked it but it had an echo-y sound that bothered me. Same for the second one I got. I had it on a sewing desk with a large metal decorative wall hanging above it that creates echoes easily so I now wonder if that exacerbated the issue.

The Janome 6***P series has had such a long run with so many devotees. Maybe Singer is trying to jump on the wagon and get some of the customers who are looking at the most affordable version. According to Amazon, the Janome is still slightly less so I don't know what Singer is thinking but most likely to attract those who are not familiar with all the brands out there and still think "Singer" means "sewing machine". Maybe Janome dictated that Singer can't offer it for a lesser price than the 6500P if they are going to manufacture for them.

Here's the .pdf, if anyone is interested.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Quantum L500 vs Quantum Stylist 9960

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Butterick 3523 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 99383-1000

photo
by: julliams

Review
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

More Info
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.