SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Anyone have tips to share on finding the most flattering lengths for yourself? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anyone have tips to share on finding the most flattering lengths for yourself?
not sure if this is the right place
marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/6/14 5:15 PM

I have a hard time seeing myself objectively.

I do know some lengths that don't look good on me. I'm not so sure how to decide what my most flattering lengths are for say a T shirt and a skirt.

I think it would be great to incorporate these into some TNT patterns.

What has worked for you? Or am I looking for a solution that doesn't really work in real life?

------
Mary

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/6/14 5:58 PM

I suggest you take photos of yourself in various styles of clothing. I've found that a photograph helps me to see myself more objectively and really helped me when I was trying to decide what lengths of skirts work best on me. I found that skirts that hit about 2 inches above the knee look great on me, or long maxi skirts to the ankle. Midi lengths look awful because I have very muscular calves with delicate ankles and feet and the midi length hits my legs at the worst spot. Also, capris are just awful on me. I call them hobbit pants. I've found that even though I'm tall (5'10"), my legs aren't that long - most of my height is in my torso. Capris just make me look shorter and disproportionate. I discovered this after setting up a tripod and taking pictures while I went through my closet. (Just remember not to be too hard on yourself, because a camera will never catch the fluidity of clothes and bodies the way other people see you).

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 6/6/14 7:31 PM

Using a camera is a great idea.

I wonder if one could make a simple long skirt with an elastic waist and then keep rolling it up and snapping pictures.

I made Pamela's Magic skirt for myself and it was truly awful looking on me. I keep wondering if the issue is as simple as changing the length because that skirt flatters everyone who has reviewed it!

------
Mary

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/7/14 2:23 AM

Your idea is a good one, and quite similar to Jan Larkey's mirror test for the best skirt length, in which she simply holds up lengths of cloth to the body and takes pictures, as shown here in the June/July 1992 issue of Threads Magazine.

I think the images tell the tale very quickly and clearly.

-- Edited on 6/7/14 2:24 AM --

geniknits
geniknits  Friend of PR
Advanced
WA
Member since 12/30/12
Send Message

Date: 6/7/14 10:14 AM

Get Peggy Sagers "Dress to Kill Gently", you can find it at www.silhouettepatterns.com. It is a terrific resource with a whole chapter specific to proportions.
Geni

------
"Love the life you live, Live the life you Love" ~Geni

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/7/14 3:02 PM

I have a croquis of myself from a pic that I look wearing a tank top and boy shorts. I have 8 on a page. I draw patterns on myself. "Try out" different lengths, variations, proportions, trims, pocket placement etc. I can see all the variations side-by-side and see my whole body from afar which is a better perspective to judge what does and doesn't work for me.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

Date: 6/7/14 4:52 PM

Threads magazine March 2009 Number 141 had an article called "The Golden Rule of Proportions" by Sandra Ericsson and I think it may help you. Here is a link to just some of the article - the magazine goes in to much greater depth. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/5149/find-your-best-silhouette

supizoo
supizoo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/28/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/8/14 4:29 AM

I agree totally with taking photos. It's really only since I started writing reviews, and hence taking photos of myself, that I've realise I make my tops too long! I can't offer any advice on proportions as I am still trying to work that out myself (and am about to check out the sites mentioned by others in this thread), but I find that photos are a better resource than my mirror, for some unknown reason!

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/9/14 1:15 PM

Lena Merrin of Iconic Patterns had a little widget for skirt lengths. I found that already made mine pretty close to her calculator results. You can find it on my blog.

I agree with the camera. In fact, I keep telling my students that one CANNOT shop RTW without one (or an objective and blunt friend!).

Related to the golden ratio concept, I do think you look better when the hems/seams/colorblocking don't hit wide parts of your body, wherever they may be.

Midi skirts are back, for example, and visually, I find them very hard to wear, even on actresses and models. You need a really naked shoe or loooong legs not to look stumpy.

But do try the croquis* idea, based off a photo of you. It really helps.

*the "s" in croquis is not a plural, btw, it's silent so the FR pron sounds like crow-key. The word has the same spelling as well as same pron in plural .
-- Edited on 6/9/14 1:22 PM --

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to lakaribane <<

Date: 6/9/14 1:51 PM

going to your blog right now!

------
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Anyone have tips to share on finding the most flattering lengths for yourself?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 8263

photo
by: JillyBe

Review
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.