SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Contest Discussions > Contest ideas (for 2015)? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Contest ideas (for 2015)?
Paula1958
Paula1958  Friend of PR
Member since 4/12/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/10/14 12:47 PM

I don't know how it works, but I have an idea for a contest so I figured I'd note it here. I was looking online at some beautiful trim, trying to think of what I could use it for. Basically, I want to build an outfit around the trim just because I love the trim. How about a contest focused on trim (lace, fringe, beads, apliques, etc.). Just a thought.

ladybegood
starstar
ladybegood  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Paula1958 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/10/14 2:06 PM

I always have that dilemma... I'm attracted to trims in the store, but I have no idea what to do with them! A contest would be a good way to spur ideas and inspiration.

There has been an embellishment contest in the past. It has been several years since we've had one, so it might be time to bring it back. Maybe it would be a good challenge contest for 2014? I think they usually ask for suggestions, or have write-ins when we vote for contests at the end of the year.

Also, for 2014, trims would be a good option for the One Pattern, Multiple Looks. I think that one is coming up in August.

------
"Creativity is the residue of time wasted." Albert Einstein.
No wonder I just keep getting more and more creative!

Bonnie O
starstar
Bonnie O  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/28/07
Contest Committee
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

In reply to Paula1958 <<

Date: 6/10/14 2:46 PM

Quote: Paula1958
I don't know how it works, but I have an idea for a contest so I figured I'd note it here. I was looking online at some beautiful trim, trying to think of what I could use it for. Basically, I want to build an outfit around the trim just because I love the trim. How about a contest focused on trim (lace, fringe, beads, apliques, etc.). Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paula. The Contest Committee is always looking for new contest ideas to keep it fresh!

We usually open up a suggestion board later in the year to solicit ideas for the subsequent year. After we've gathered all the ideas, the Contest Committee compiles a list of viable contests and sets up a poll to determine the contests with the most interest.

------
Bonnie
http://tresbonbabble.blogspot.com/

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Paula1958 <<

Date: 6/10/14 4:05 PM

I have the same issue with buttons passed on to me. If you only have one or two , not a full set, they don't match up with patterns easily.

BlueSkysAhead

BlueSkysAhead
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/12/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/10/14 4:27 PM

I have an idea, I have thought about a contest for a new to you fabric. I see pretty fabrics and have no clue what to do with them. I think it would be fun to have people sew with a new to them fabric and let other know why they never tried it before, did it present sewing problems, how they overcome the sewing problems they had, get suggestions from others etc.. Maybe have a random draw for prizes to encourage use of different fabrics.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/19/14 2:17 PM

I really liked the new-to-you pattern contest, and changing it to fabric is an interesting idea, although harder for some folks to find something they haven't worked with in the past. I think a new-to-you something should be on the list of contests to vote for.

But either make the prizes by random drawing or emphasize that the voting should not be based on how well the garment turned out, but on the review. Good reviews of something that turned out horrid should score higher than a meager review of a great piece. And of course there need to be the "special questions" to answer in the review.

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/19/14 4:13 PM

Oooh. I like a "new to you" (period) contest.

new fabric
new pattern
new technique (e.g. some have been avoiding things like buttonholes, zippers, ahem...welt pockets)

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/1/14 9:40 AM

I feel like another Pantone contest might be fun. It could require a garment using the color of the year.

ClioBklyn
star
ClioBklyn  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 1/23/08
Contest Committee
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 7/1/14 10:10 AM

That was a fun one, wasn't it?

------
Happy sewing!
Clio

www.fivemuses.blogspot.com

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
online now
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/1/14 10:32 AM

That sounds like fun. Although I've had the hardest time finding fabric in this year's color.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Contest ideas (for 2015)?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

McCall's 6596

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Farbenmix Hilde

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.