SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Graduation Robe/Hat/Tassle/Stole ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Graduation Robe/Hat/Tassle/Stole
To trash or donate?
cathytxtwfr
star
cathytxtwfr  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/20/12
Send Message

Date: 6/11/14 11:23 AM

I've been doing some house cleaning... and found my graduation robe, hat, tassle, and stole. I graduated in 2009 and honestly I don't want this stuff anymore because I won't ever use it again but most of the fabric is just horrible. One feel and I feel repelled. The robe is so cheaply made. There is no care in the construction, everything was just slapped together. Look what sewing has done to me - I can't look past the polyester and general bad quality!

I feel bad because I know lots of people go to great lengths to frame and preserve their graduation ceremony stuff... but I'm okay with my paper degree and want to chunk the rest. I have other things from college with better memories than this robe I wore for only a day.

So just curious for those who have graduated - what did you do with your robes, tassle, hat, stole? Keep or trash/donate?

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/11/14 11:31 AM

Contact your school, see if they'll take donations for students who can't afford to buy the graduation regalia. I know several folks who ended up in that situation and unable to walk because the regalia cost some $130 they didn't have to spare.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 57 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

cathytxtwfr
star
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/20/12
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 6/11/14 11:41 AM

I was thinking about Goodwill, but this is a better solution! thank you!

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/11/14 11:48 AM

What level degree? WILL YOU BE WORKING IN ACADEMIA (oops sorry for the caps, lol)? Even if there's just a chance, you may want to hang onto some of it.

If it is a Masters/PhD level, I would keep the stole - colleges have lost of generic robes (the shape/decoration of the sleeves are the major difference). Some have several ceremonies where faculty are expected to put it all on. The stole/hood has colors that designate the subject of the degree on one side and the institution that granted it on the other.

Also, if you are into that kind of thing, I was given a framed embroidered picture that had a button to hold the tassel. I've seen others like it. It was a nice reminder that others were proud of my accomplishment.

The robe itself? Yeah, those tend to be cheap and nasty. but also overpriced, so I agree with the idea of donation. I'm surprised you still have it - most places only make you rent, not buy.

linda k
linda k  Friend of PR
Illinois USA
Member since 8/16/06
Send Message

In reply to cathytxtwfr <<

Date: 6/11/14 11:54 AM

A friend of mine is the music teacher for an inner city school. At graduation, she collected as many robes as she could to outfit her choir.

cathytxtwfr
star
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 8/20/12
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 6/11/14 12:05 PM

Undergraduate, so nothing fancy here. Hmm, ok. I don't see myself working in academia in the future.

My stole is not very impressive, it just a shiny satin that has the university and the word commencement stamped in glittery gold. It isn't even centered correctly. My tassel looks like a souvenir key chain, but maybe i'll hang it up on a cork board since it doesn't take that much space and it can't be reused since it has the year attached to it/

Also I meant to write "to keep or trash/donate" for the sub topic header - oops!

Thanks for the advice!

Padmé

Padmé
Member since 7/12/06
Send Message

In reply to cathytxtwfr <<

Date: 6/11/14 12:15 PM

If my husband and I kept our gowns, they would be up in the attic. Our diplomas and tassels are in the closet and hanging on dresser pulls still to this day.

Our son recently got his first degree, and is able to get another degree in one semester, so he's keeping his to wear again. I did see some of the teachers at the last ceremony wearing their old caps and gowns, so I guess it's thing at some college graduations. I'm wondering if you could put what you didn't want in a thrift shop or resale shop. Keep the tassel in your scarf drawer forever though in my opinion.

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06
Send Message

Date: 6/12/14 8:15 AM

I can't remember where I saw it but there is a company that recycles the gowns, into something else. I think the company is in Michigan, sorry I don't have more concise info.

------
Dawn T.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/12/14 10:12 AM

Wow I am glad we have a rental option here. $40.00 and you just keep the hat and tassel.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

andrea.m
andrea.m
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 8/3/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/14 10:50 AM

At my school every grad got a loaner. An hour before the ceremony we were herded into our groups and received our gowns and stoles. The diploma we received on stage was just a blank piece of paper. After the ceremony and photos we had to return the gowns and stoles to receive the actual diploma.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Graduation Robe/Hat/Tassle/Stole

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2011-114

photo
by: jennybaxt

Review
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now
10 inch Professional Shears

10 inch Professional Shears

Buy Now
Contest Mini Wardrobe Contest

photo
by: sewmodest

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.