SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Juki F600 - 2 questions ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki F600 - 2 questions
Regarding blanket stitches and vertical spool holder
Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

Date: 6/12/14 10:21 AM

I own (and love) a Juki F600 "Exceed". I purchased it 2 months ago and continue to learn about and appreciate all of its many features.

I have two questions for other owners. First, have any of you figured out a way to attach a vertical spool holder to the machine itself (outside of duct tape ). I prefer a vertical spool but I do not have a lot of table space to the right of my machine and prefer to anchor the spool holder to the machine. Not having a vertical spool holder is one of the few inconveniences I've found with this machine.

Second, the blanket stitches automatically do a "fix" stitch at the start of the stitch, as well as when you hit the reverse button at the end of a stitch. It is a great feature...most of the time. But I'd like the ability to turn it off. I was in need of simply taking one stitch in reverse midway through an applique project, and couldn't figure out how to do that (machine did its automatic fix stitch instead).

Thanks to anyone with ideas! I'm planning to put a review of the machine up soon. The machine is amazing, string, and accurate, so these are minor complaints and I hope any prospective buyers will take them as such. My other complaints are the screw-up stitch plate (I wish you could just pop it out in order to clean the bobbin case more easily) and I wish the stitch plate and all feet were better marked for the English system (the metric marking are up front and easier to read, and the feet aren't marked as well as the Viking feet I came to love). But other than that, two thumbs up!
-- Edited on 6/12/14 10:22 AM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Melcalifornia <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/12/14 11:23 AM

Vertical spool adapter

These are sold at quite a number of online stores. I was researching the opposite solution awhile back and I think I found every possible adapter out there! I found a vertical---->horizontal one and bought it. :)

Good luck with your other concerns.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Pomegranate27
Pomegranate27
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/19/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/14 12:06 PM

For the lock stitch, are you sure you don't have it set up to auto? You can turn if off by pushing the lock button before you start sewing. It's little picture on the screen should come off and then you know it's off.

Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/12/14 12:56 PM

Quote: Mufffet
Vertical spool adapter

These are sold at quite a number of online stores. I was researching the opposite solution awhile back and I think I found every possible adapter out there! I found a vertical---->horizontal one and bought it. :)

Good luck with your other concerns.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I need, but didn't know such a thing existed!!
Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

In reply to Pomegranate27 <<

Date: 6/12/14 1:09 PM

Quote: Pomegranate27
For the lock stitch, are you sure you don't have it set up to auto? You can turn if off by pushing the lock button before you start sewing. It's little picture on the screen should come off and then you know it's off.

No, I'm not using that function. The lockstitches are the default setting for the blanket stitches and other "applique" (page 64-65 of the manual) but I was hoping to either turn off that function, or at least figure out how to do an actual reverse stitch while sewing an applique.

It may just not be possible, and I don't want to turn the handwheel backwords becuase I think that is not good for a sewing machine (?)
Pomegranate27
Pomegranate27
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/19/14
Send Message

Date: 6/12/14 3:20 PM

Ah, well, sorry I wasn't much help.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/12/14 4:09 PM

It does not matter if you turn the hand wheel backwards. You just won't get a stitch.

------
“I don’t give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think it’s Hell.” — Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Melcalifornia <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/12/14 8:09 PM

I don't think there is any default lock stitches at all. Actually I know there are not any. And turning the wheel backwards won't get you a backwards stitch either. It won't hurt the machine, but also won't get you a stitch either, and probably just a thread snarl instead, so no point in doing it either.

If running out of room before a corner and wanting to pivot though, and needle in the fabric and wanting it out of the fabric, it's O.K. and can't hurt anything if you just turned the wheel back wards till needle out of fabric, or forwards, both are O.K. and it does not make any difference just that much at all.

But what happens with a blanket stitch is there are different ones of them made in different ways, and a lot of them in there and some are just better for turning corners and metering that way than some others. Also to get even a thicker look in a blanket stitch, some are made with those stitches repeating and going over them selves, several times too even. So to get around a corner or even a sharp curve, you got to pick to stop needle down and pivot in the right place.

To find that, you have to stitch out each blanket looking stitch on a scrap of waste fabric first, just to see how that particular one stitches out. And watch waht happens when you do that. Then you will understand how each one is formed. Then you know where the best place to do that is, (stop and pivot) on any of them. Most easy one to control and pivot with, is one that only moves forwards and to the side, and never even stitches backwards at all.

So go stitch them all out, in some rows, watching for that on each one, and you will see how it works, for each different one.

Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 6/12/14 9:41 PM

Thanks. This is very good information and I'm going to work with it. I think you've addressed the reasons I've been looking to backstitch at all perfectly! The Juki defaults all "appliqué" stitches with 3 lockstitch as at the start of sewing, and 3 lock stitches when you hit the reverse button. I though that there was something writ with my machine so double checked the manual. Sure enough, that is the default. And most of the time it works for me.

I am having a lot of fun with appliqué - towels, napkins, whatever I can get my hands on ;).

Melcalifornia
Melcalifornia
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/29/14
Send Message

In reply to Pomegranate27 <<

Date: 6/12/14 9:46 PM

Quote: Pomegranate27
Ah, well, sorry I wasn't much help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I do like that button/lock function but I cannot for the life of me remember to use it lol!
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Juki F600 - 2 questions

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's 6611

photo
by: SuzyBee

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chopin Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Chopin Blouse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.