SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 630E ... using it after sitting unused for a LONG time ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 630E ... using it after sitting unused for a LONG time
service needed?
runnerchicki
star
runnerchicki  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/27/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/13/14 8:50 AM

This machine has sat unused for 3-4 years.. maybe longer! When I unpacked it and turned it on ... I got NOTHING. PANIC ATTACK! The machine is practically new as far as the amount of use it has gotten! Anyway, I call the closest dealer to me with an onsite technician and he tells me to turn it on and just leave it sit.. it may need to *reboot* itself and it could take up to an hour. Huh? OKAY.. never heard of that before but I did what I was told. Lo and behold about 40 minutes later.. the thing turns itself on! RELIEF!! Weird, weird, weird, I don't care who ya are LOL. But anyway, the real point of this post is:

Everything seems to be working fine, but there is a *tinny* whine that is intermittent... mostly when I sew at top speed (I have been going through all the stitches just to make sure my baby is okay). It doesn't sound right to me. The stitch quality is fine. The bobbin sounds a little clackety but nothing too bad.

Do you think it just needs a service? Could sitting unused for that long actually damage anything?

ETA: I haven't even tried the embroidery unit yet. Almost too scared to try
-- Edited on 6/13/14 8:52 AM --

------
There's no such thing as too much fabric.

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

In reply to runnerchicki <<

Date: 6/13/14 8:53 AM

Have you oiled it when you took it out? The clankety noise could be the cry for oil. Might need service but try this first.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, Artista 630E, B580
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, Babylock Enlighten, Babylock Sashiko, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

runnerchicki
star
Intermediate
Member since 1/27/04
Send Message

In reply to annenet <<

Date: 6/13/14 9:05 AM

Quote: annenet
Have you oiled it when you took it out? The clankety noise could be the cry for oil. Might need service but try this first.

Umm, no. I sure haven't. That's an obvious one isn't it LOL. Thanks for pointing that out! In my extreme anxiety over this my brain has taken a vacation... now that ought to take care of the clackety's. I am still having palpitations over the tinny whine.

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/13/14 10:46 AM

I think because it has sat unused for so long it might really benefit from a professional cleaning and service. Especially when it didn't want to come on right away.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 6/13/14 10:54 AM

That is weird, IMO. I wouldn't have expected that, if the machine was store indoors in a reasonable range of temperature and humidity. I would have FREAKED OUT. What a relief it eventually came on!

I'd oil it, observe it closely, and take it for service if it acts up at all. A 630 is a precious gem, the most feature-rich 5.5mm/CB hook model Bernina has made so far.

I'm glad you posted about this. I'm going to be sure that all my computerized machines get used a few times per year.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/13/14 11:26 AM

Think I'll take my 630E out this weekend, boot him up and give him a good hug! I do use my machines pretty often though.

------
At my house in VA:
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, Babylock Enlighten, Babylock Sashiko, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:

kathleen1304

kathleen1304  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/19/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/13/14 11:58 AM

Note to self: When buying that 630E at a pawnshop or thrift store 10-15 years from now, pay less than sticker price because it's "not working."

------
Impossible you say? Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus!

Let's make Better Mistakes Tomorrow

runnerchicki
star
Intermediate
Member since 1/27/04
Send Message

In reply to kathleen1304 <<

Date: 6/13/14 12:15 PM

Quote: kathleen1304
Note to self: When buying that 630E at a pawnshop or thrift store 10-15 years from now, pay less than sticker price because it's "not working."

I swear I have never heard of this before, but the tech new instantly what was happening.. which tells me this is not uncommon for a machine that gets stored away for a long period of time. I will never let a machine of mine sit unused like that again!

I oiled my machine and just stitched out a quick built-in embroidery design to check the embroidery unit. No problems there. Everything seems to be fine now. Just had to get Sleeping Beauty wide awake again.

------

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

Date: 6/13/14 12:18 PM

So glad to hear that! I know when anyone gets noisy at my house oil does the trick. Just wished that worked for the dog!

------
At my house in VA:

At my Lake House in PA:

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/14/14 9:35 AM

My dealer recently told me to turn on the machines once a month, even if I don't actually sew on them. I haven't actually done this, but at least I know what to expect. thanks for the post.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 630E ... using it after sitting unused for a LONG time

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

StyleArc Robin Top

photo
by: Sigrid.

Review
You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.