SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Rocketeer Question ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Rocketeer Question
sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 6/18/14 3:30 PM

I recently saw a pic of a Singer Rocketeer online and it had the 3 parts in the pics that convert the machine to chain stitching. Does this machine do a chain stitch? Thanks for any info.

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/18/14 4:00 PM

This is not quite an answer since it is not about the Rocketeer but FWIW in the 70's I had a New Home that did a regular stitch and a chain stitch--I think you put in a different bobbin casing or some such for the chain stitch. It was a nice machine and if not for a home disaster I would have it on my shelf still. If you are seeking the capability maybe that's an avenue to explore. Not beautiful but a heavy metal machine. It also had a feather stitch which I appreciated.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Mole Princess <<

Date: 6/18/14 4:07 PM

Thanks Mole Princess. Could you tell me what the model # was so I can research the machine? Thanks
I think those parts in the pic are just orphan parts thrown into the box with all the other attachments for the machine. I don't think this machine will chain stitch, but thought someone here would know for sure.
-- Edited on Today at 4:24 PM --

------

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/18/14 4:27 PM

My Golden Touch 'N Sew could do chain stitching. I no longer have it, but found these accessories that were used for this technique - Chain Stitch Accessories

I do have a model 500 Rocketeer and you can do a faux chain stitch with it or any other SM. It is described in the manual on page 56 as a Single Thread Dart. Basically, you pull up the bobbin thread and thread it through the machine as you would the top thread.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/18/14 4:30 PM

Hiccup!
-- Edited on Today at 4:31 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

denise60s
denise60s
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/13
Send Message

Date: 6/18/14 5:55 PM

I don't think the 500A had chainstitch capability. Three other slant needle models did. Two were touch and sew 600 series machine, one was a 400 series. Can't remember the exact series numbers... which would be important to know if looking for a machine with a chainstitch feature.

------
SM's: Nina 450 Aurora, Singers: 66 w/ back clamping feet, 15-91, 221, 500A Rocketeer, Touch Tronic 2000.

Mole Princess
Mole Princess
Member since 4/17/12
Send Message

Date: 6/18/14 5:56 PM

Hello Silly,

I am sorry but I do not know the model number. I've done some Googling and they do seem a bit rare with not so much info online. I didn't realize it would become such a treasure one day! I hope you find what you are looking for.

I have a friend with a Rocketeer, quite well-equipped, and have emailed her to find out if hers does chain stitch.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 6/19/14 2:48 AM

A Singer 411G or 431G can chainstitch with the right attachment stuff. Also even a very much later 1980's Singer 290C (made in Brazil) too. And some old Sears Kenmores.

-- Edited on Today at 2:49 AM --
-- Edited on Today at 2:50 AM --

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 6/19/14 9:23 AM

beauturbo, would you happen to know the model #'s of the Kenmore's that chain stitch? Thanks

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 6/19/14 10:19 AM

Also the Singer Touch and Sew 778 did a chain stitch.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Rocketeer Question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Butterick b5592

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Spearmint Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.