SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > Mini Wardrobe Contest ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Mini Wardrobe Contest
July 1-31, 2014
Sigrid.
starstarstarstar
Sigrid.  Friend of PR
Advanced
Netherlands
Member since 11/14/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/19/14 4:53 PM

Hello all, I'm Sigrid and will manage this wonderful contest for you this time.
It's a much loved contest I think and I certainly like to see what everyone comes up with each year.

Let's start the planning. I'm looking forward to hear your plans here. I won't even start thinking about sewing along with you, as much as I would like to. During the contest I'll be without my sewing machine for two weeks, enjoying a holiday. I will have internet access most of the time and I'll love to hear what you are doing or answer questions during that period too.

Please find below the rules and all there is to know as indicated by the contest committee.

-----------------------------------------------------
The rules
This is a contest to create a 5-piece wardrobe in 4 weeks. You will determine what clothing pieces you use in your wardrobe.

The 5 pieces must combine (without adding additional garments) to create at least 6 looks.

One of the pieces can be a wearable accessory as long as it is sewn (eg: scarf, wrap, hat, belt, vest are ok, but a purse would not count because it is not wearable).

For Example, but not limited to...
1. tee, blouse, pants, skirt, scarf. Tee/pants, blouse/pants/scarf, blouse/skirt, tee/pants/scarf, blouse/skirt/scarf, blouse/pants = 6 looks

2. Dress, cardigan, top, pants, belt. Dress/belt, dress/cardigan, Pants/top/belt, pants/top/cardigan, dress/cardigan/belt, pants/top/cardi/belt = 6 looks

3. 2 pants, 2 tops, jacket. Pants1/top1, pants2/top2, pants1/top2/jacket, pants2/top1/jacket, pant1/top1/jacket, pants 2/top2/jacket = 6 looks

4. 2 workout pants/leggings, 2 workout tops, hoodie. Pants1/top1, pants 2/top 2, pants1/top2, pants2/top1, pants1/top1/hoodie, pants2/top2/hoodie = 6 looks

As long as you can take the 5 items and wear them in at least 6 different combos, your entry will qualify.

Choice of garment types and styles is entirely up to you!

Required reviews
- Entrants must do an individual review for each pattern used (can update previous reviews). The actual contest entry review is the "composite review" for the mini-wardrobe itself. The composite review must have links to the individual reviews. (If all items are from one wardrobe pattern, one review will suffice.)

What is a Composite Review? You write your comments for your contest entry and include links to all 5 of your individual reviews. (Tips for this are below)

Pictures are required for voting. There must be a photo for each of the 6 looks. Explore the suggestions and links for photos below the Rules.

Final garments may be pictured on a dress form or worn by the garment's intended owner. Please consult with the contest moderator if neither of these is feasible for you, and options will be discussed.

This wardrobe/ensemble may be created for men, women, or children. Doll clothing is not admissible.

General Rules for all Contests
All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.

Contest Eligibility:
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).

The first, second and third place winners will be decided by member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.

Prizes for the contest

TO BE ANNOUNCED

Voting guidelines:

Each member can vote on up to five entries.

Voting will begin 2 days after contest closes and will close 7 days after voting starts.

Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting. Consider how well the entry fulfills each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your votes:
1. Does the garment clearly reflect the pattern's line drawing?
2. How well does the garment fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
3. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
4. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
5. Is the review complete and well written?
6. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
7. Creative points. You may choose to give extra credit here for an entry that reflects additional creativity (embellishment, fabric choice, etc.) while staying within the nature of the original pattern.
8. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.

Tips for this contest (written by last year's contest manager, Ashford)
The Mini-Wardrobe Contest entries are a little bit different than other contests because you are submitting an ensemble of outfits and not each garment. Here is a quick guide to help those new to this type of contest.

Quick Links:
Add a review

New to PR? -Read how to add and write a review.

New to PR contests? - Read the How to Participate in PR Contests tutorial.

Composite reviews:
Each garment made must have an individual review. However, these individual reviews are ONLY posted in the regular reviews on the home page. Do not post individual reviews as a contest entry. Once you have completed all your items, make the composite review showing all the combinations of the items together (or at least the 6 required combinations). There are great examples in last year's Mini Wardrobe contest

It is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that you start the composite or overall review as a WIP (Work in Progress) and add to it as you do the individual reviews. It saves hassles in the end.

Take great photos:

Pixlr - http://pixlr.com/
Ribbet - http://www.ribbet.com/

Strike a pose for your Review photographs. Put several photos into one image to show all your outfits for the contest photo.
--How to Pose for Photographs -Inside Out Style blog by Imogen Lamport

--Sample Poses for Women -by Modern Photography School web site

--Posing Guide for Men -by Digital Photography School

--For Your FINAL CONTEST PHOTO, you will want to put several photos together as one image to show all your outfits. Try Pixlr.com or Ribbet.com - both are free on-line service for making the photo-collage.

Prizes:

First Prize: A Complimentary Friends of PR membership, an online class of the winner's choice and a pattern from our PR exclusive patterns.

Second Prize: A Complimentary Friends of PR membership and a pattern from our PR exclusive patterns.
-- Edited on Today at 4:07 PM --

------
http://sigridsewingprojects.blogspot.com/

Sigrid.
starstarstarstar
Sigrid.  Friend of PR
Advanced
Netherlands
Member since 11/14/06
Send Message

Date: 6/19/14 4:53 PM

In this post I will note questions and answers that arise so that these will be easy to find and read at one place.

Question:

Quote:
Are self-drafted patterns eligible?

Answer: Yes, self-drafted patterns are eligible.

Question:
Quote:
Do the pieces have to come from different patterns or can one wardrobe builder pattern, i.e. Simplicity's "wardrobe elements" pattern be used?

Answer:The patterns you use can all be different patterns or a wardrobe pattern combined with/without other patterns. It's the amount of garments that counts here in combination with the number of different outfits you can make from the 5 garments.

Question:
Quote:
I'm considering a pattern for a blouse with a sailor-like collar. I was thinking it could be fun to add a detachable bow to the bottom of the collar, for added interest. In this case, would a detachable bow be considered a separate item (i.e. accessory) or would it be considered part of the blouse (even if I don't wear the bow with every look)? Would the response be the same for a detachable collar (another pattern I'm considering has a detachable Peter Pan collar)?

Answer:
f it is something like a peter pan collar that could be worn with any top or blouse rather than being a part of a specific blouse or top , then it is an accessory and counts as one of the 5 items. In this case, a review is expected for the collar separate from the top. For example: Named Clothing's Alva collar is a separate pattern for a collar that can be worn with many tops - This would count as one of the 5.

BUT if it is a feature of a specific top which would be part of the same pattern review for the top, and not have it's own review or be worn with other tops/blouses, then it's a design feature of the top and does not count as one of the 5. (It is a very clever way to maximize the number of looks!) Gertie recently posted an inspiration dress on her blog that had a Detachable halter collar which is a good example of this:You would not wear it with any other dress - it is a design feature of that garment.

Question:
Quote:
Can a dress be an item itself in the collection?

Answer: a dress alone could count as one of the looks, but it should also be able to be combined with another part of the collection as another look so that it is part of the wardrobe and not a stand alone garment.

Question:
Quote:
Can a reversible dress count as two looks in the plan?

Answer: Yest it can, but like stated above for the dress, both sides of the dress must be combined with other items in the plan to create different looks.

Question:
Quote:
When we shoot the modeling photos, are we allowed to include accessories we did not create as part of the "look", as long as we indicate that we didn't create them?

Example: I'm planning to enter with a menswear mini-wardrobe of three shirts, two pants. I'd like to include ties as accessories in the modeling photos. But the ties are RTW.

Answer:Yes, accessories are allowed in the photos. The six looks should be from the five garments and not created by the accessories.

-- Edited on Today at 4:26 PM --

------

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/19/14 6:49 PM

Thanks! (did you hear us whining ob the contests thread? lol) I may actually be able to do something here. Just need to decide exactly what...

Oh, and I really want to see those photo-posing sites, but there are no links (?) or your links don't work.

Sharonspils
starstar
Sharonspils  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New South Wales Australia
Member since 5/16/07
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 6/19/14 7:22 PM

Sigrid did say that the links weren't working in her introduction, it is late for her, so I am sure she will fix them as soon as she can.

------
Sharon
Sydney, Australia
http://petiteandsewing.blogspot.com/

Sharonspils
starstar
Sharonspils  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New South Wales Australia
Member since 5/16/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/19/14 7:23 PM

I have been waiting for the rules for this contest so now need to start planning.

------
Sharon
Sydney, Australia
http://petiteandsewing.blogspot.com/

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/19/14 9:08 PM

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Sigrid.
starstarstarstar
Sigrid.  Friend of PR
Advanced
Netherlands
Member since 11/14/06
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 6/20/14 3:29 AM

The links should be working now.

I did not hear the whining ;). I did not spend a lot of time on PR, just because other things were getting in the way. But as I knew I would be the contest manager, I was looking forward to hear about the rules. Think they are very flexible.

------

Sigrid.
starstarstarstar
Sigrid.  Friend of PR
Advanced
Netherlands
Member since 11/14/06
Send Message

In reply to Sharonspils <<

Date: 6/20/14 3:35 AM

The planning is part of the fun part isn't it? Do you have an idea already?

------

Sigrid.
starstarstarstar
Sigrid.  Friend of PR
Advanced
Netherlands
Member since 11/14/06
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<

Date: 6/20/14 3:36 AM

Any plans or ideas yet?

------

Skaapie
star
Skaapie
Intermediate
SOUTH AFRICA
Member since 3/26/09
Send Message

Date: 6/20/14 3:51 AM

Yay, my favourite contest!

So many ideas...
I have grey cordurouy that I was meant to sew up for the pants contest. Life got in the way there... and I still need pants.
But coming up with a cohesive mini wardrobe is where I'm getting stuck.

I like that one item can be a wearable accessory. This has opened up a whole world of new ideas. Time to percolate!

Yay, excitement!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Mini Wardrobe Contest

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

New Look 6852

photo
by: valgal

Review
Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.