SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Having trouble with Silvercrest SNM 33 A1 timing ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Having trouble with Silvercrest SNM 33 A1 timing
needle bar timing problem and attempted solution
Stuggy
star
Stuggy
Advanced Beginner
Ireland
Member since 3/5/14
Send Message

Date: 6/21/14 9:35 AM

I've been having trouble with my sewing machine for the last few days. Somebody's told me that I messed up the timing on the needle bar possibly through a collision between the needle and the needle plate.
It ceased to interlock the 2 threads in any way. Wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread for several attempts. When I finally managed to get it to catch I tried sewing on a test strip of the fabric I was using. Oddly the upper thread did manage to sew though the lower didn't and the upper thread pulled out when I took it away from the machine. I say oddly since if the lower thread wasn't connecting at all you'd expect to only see needle holes in the fabric. Which is what happened later.

I've taken the upper canopy apart, found a hex socket on the needle column, undone that and tried to adjust it. I also unscrewed several other bits in the top section and now put the screws back in the holes for the main part.

Having managed to undo the hex socket I'm still not getting this machine right. Can't work out the height the needle needs to be.
& I now find myself with an extra screw and a 1.3cm metal sleeve that just appeared while I was investigating inside the upper canopy, it fell out and went clang at one point. Just wondering if the screw that links the section below the tension plates has it as a form of guide to prevent the screw from being tightened too far. Can't see a way of getting it back in if it is something that goes there. There is a plastic wall that the head of that screw fits on and the lever that goes up and down tensioning the thread as the needle stitches fits almost exactly on the open side of it.
I can't find a maintenance/repair manual for this machine beyond the one that comes with it and that has next to nothing on the inside beyond showing you how to replace the lightbulb.
not sure if the screw comes from the top of the column next to where the tension screw is. That appears to have a screw/thread in its hole but I can't find any way to get a screw into it. Wondering if I'm just being clumsy.
Well, will continue to adjust this thing until it hopefully works. But loads of projects are lying dormant while I do so.
-- Edited on Today at 9:36 AM --
-- Edited on Today at 7:02 PM --

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 6/21/14 9:29 PM

This topic has been moved from Vintage Sewing to Sewing Machines

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

lamx
lamx
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 10/4/04
Send Message

In reply to Stuggy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/23/14 8:52 AM

I can't help with the extra parts, but the needle bar height should be adjusted so that after the needle reaches it's lowest point and starts back up and the point of the hook is even with the needle, the point of the hook should be at, or slightly above the top of the needle's eye.

Before you do that, check to make sure you inserted the new needle in the proper position. A needle inserted backward will give the same results.

Ed

------
Sewing-machines.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 9:19 AM

A sewing machine will not form a stitch if the needle is threaded from the wrong direction.

It may not have been the timing at all.

Have you visited this site ?

-- Edited on Today at 9:22 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

anna53
anna53
Advanced
SWITZERLAND
Member since 12/11/12
Send Message

In reply to Stuggy <<

Date: 6/23/14 10:21 AM

hello Staggy

...I have written once a small manual how to adjust the needlebar-height on a CB-hook machine...and your Silvercrest SNM 33 A1 IS a CB-hook type...

look HERE ...it's written in German...but the images show you how to check and adjust the needlebar-height...and google-translator is not so far ...adjustment is not as difficult as you think

Best regards from Switzerland
Stefan

P.S. ...if you have difficulties with the manual...give a message here...and I will translate it to English

-- Edited on Today at 10:27 AM --

Stuggy
star
Stuggy
Advanced Beginner
Ireland
Member since 3/5/14
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.
There is only one direction to thread this machine, front o back so it's not that.

I just shattered the screw hole next to the plastic tensioning screw on the top of the machine while trying to see if a different size screw would fit any better,. Wondering if a metal sliver I saw on the table over the last couple of days actually came out of the thread when the screw came out,. Would indicate that the metal the part was made of wasn't the most robust. Haven't tried doing anything with the machine since the section of the screw hole broke. Still hoping it wasn't anything important but on the other hand thinking that it might be. Can only imagine it to be a securing device.
Maybe I should learn from this and not start rooting around and unscrewing things, certainly unless I have a photograph taken beforehand. Don't know why I didn't do that, I was taking photos at other times. Might give me an answer to where that metal tube/sleeve thing came from too.

I've just been looking at Sewing USA talking about how to set up timing but I will look at the German page. I thought I had the needle positioned to be just under the hook. I can't work out how you would alter the bobbin case end of things, or maybe rather the dogs and feeders section which another page on the subject seems to suggest. maybe i would need to totally remove the head section where the needle bar etc are before I could get to that. I'm just stuck with a pair of screws that are not in a position I could get a screwdriver into to undo.
& maybe on the other hand that's just as well since it stops me from being able to mess that up too.

Anyway will look at this German page and hope that I get the answer. Also maybe put a feeler out on Freecycle and see if anybody's getting rid of a machine anywhere.

Stuggy
star
Stuggy
Advanced Beginner
Ireland
Member since 3/5/14
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 12:38 PM

Thanks Anna. That looks like it would be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for if I could understand German better. The pictures do give some direction anyway.

Not finding a great deal on things elsewhere, just some short descriptions.

I can also see what goes where in the section above the needle from your article's photograph. Think I need to google around to see if I can find a how-things-work on sewing machines in graphic form too. can just about work out what goes where but not sure how accurate my surmising is.
Wish the manual this machine came with was more comprehensive. Maybe they don't like the idea that these machines be fixed by the customer but it does seem the cheapest way, unless I have actually managed to murder my machine already. Hope not.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 4:38 PM

Check to see if there is any kind of mark on the needle bar that should line up with a supporting part. Some machines have these. I also agree with lamxs' advice.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 9:14 PM

I noticed that a Silvercrest SNM 33 A1 is about like a Bernina Bernette Seville 46, except it has a few more stitches in it. And even has the same little see through circular window in it, to see what stitch you have picked to use even. And it comes from Crown Technics Ltd, which is part of Bernina International Group..... if that help at all.

Stuggy
star
Stuggy
Advanced Beginner
Ireland
Member since 3/5/14
Send Message

Date: 6/24/14 5:48 AM

Thanks beauturbo that machine does look quite a bit similar.
I can't find a service manual for that either so that's not great but thanks for the pointer.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Having trouble with Silvercrest SNM 33 A1 timing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 3987

photo
by: SusanStitc...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2013-112

photo
by: rabitgrl

Review
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.