SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Help! I dont like my old sewing machines! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help! I dont like my old sewing machines!
What to do with old machines and what should i get now.
Msmeme
Msmeme
Intermediate
USA
Member since 12/14/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/22/14 7:28 PM

Hello all my PR lovelies!

I am an extreme lurker who has come out of my very extended hiding due to a dilemma only fellow sewing enthusiasts may be able to assist me with. Its a 2 parter and Ive searched but have been unsuccessful in finding an appropriate answer on the forums. SO with that intro, here it goes:

After years of using entry/intermediate models such as mid range Singers and Brother, I finally took the plunge and bought a Janome 8900. I thought I would keep a level of nostalgia with my old machines because they were some of the very first sewing machines I ever used.. but guess what.... I was wrong.

I feel like some sort of deprived child whose suddenly come into the lap of luxury! I LOVE MY JANOME 8900!

So now I have 2 old machines left that every time I try to go back to (for a quick top stitch or something), just result in aggravation. The problem is I have a TON of sewing feet that ive collected over time. and still really like. I didnt do the extra research on my 8900 to know that the "regular" presser feet you can buy at your average sewing shop or online wont fit the 8900 so now im left with these dilemmas Id like your help in answering.

1. Should I get rid of the old machines and get a new back up machine that can use my presser feet collection? Its a Singer Quantum 9910 and Brother project runway edition (bought as an emergency back up when the Singer failed me).

I dont have a large place so keeping an army of machines is beginning to become difficult.

2. If I do decide to part from the older machines, how should I go about it? Ive tried selling them to friends and family but no one has showed interest. Can I give them to a sewing shop for a store credit of some sort?

3. And finally Would it be completely ridiculous to get an entry/intermediate Janome like the Hello Kitty 13512 as my new back up machine?

Ive been considering this because A- its inexpensive but has surprisingly great reviews, B- is more portable than the 8900 so could suffice as a quick travel, back up if an emergency called for it and C- Well I just love Hello Kitty lol (yes im an adult haha).

If not the HK Janome, any recommendations would be helpful. I dont want the back up to exceed $450 ideally ( I just exploded a budget with the 8900 purchase lol)

Any opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated

-- Edited on Today at 7:36 PM --
-- Edited on Today at 7:38 PM --

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/22/14 8:44 PM

Me personally I don't think you should get rid of your machines to purchase a machine hello kitty that does the same thing as brother/singer. I would just keep the brother or singer as backup and part with the one I like least because the hello kitty will probably sew just as well but have less features

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/22/14 10:55 PM

Have you considered a vintage machine for your back-up machine? They generally have a nice straight stitch.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 2:12 AM

I would ask yourself what features are missing that make using the old machines frustrating? Then you will know what features you are looking for and if the hello Kitty machine has them :)

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
International AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 3:07 AM

If you're tight on space, then you should make sure you're happy with all the machines you own.
You could get rid of the old machines and use that to invest in a different used machine that would work with your feet.
Since family isn't interested, try Craigslist or Ebay and see if you get any bites.
When looking for a 'new' used machine, keep in mind not to go with the cheapest thing out there. I once dumped a dime store sewing machine straight in the trash because it gave me such headaches. A friend of mine also bought the same machine and her comment was: "It sucks the will to live right outta ya." I don't know what quality a Hello Kitty machine has, but be sure to check on some reviews before deciding.

-- oh I see you've checked out the reviews already. I personally would have reservations just because Hello Kitty brings up visions of a children's beginner's machine instead of a reliable tool.
-- Edited on Today at 6:04 AM --

Aleroluver
star
Aleroluver
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 8/25/09
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 4:33 AM

I know how you feel... I have 3 machines and a 1 bedroom apartment, but I lust after more every day... I think I'd sell the Singer and keep the Brother for a back up... Brother stamped Project Runway on many machines, so it's hard to know what model you got, but some of those light weight ones are really easy to travel with and still perform pretty well... My Brother PC 420 has Project Runway stamped on it, and it's a very heavy metal framed machine... still easier to travel with than my Bernina and vintage metal machine, but I travel with all of them at different times. (sometimes it depends on what I'm working on, but usually, it's just eeeny meeeni miney moe... the Brother usually wins though, because if the Bernina is set up for embroidery I'm not dismantling it just to travel with, and the vintage metal machine throws my back out if I carry it around too much).

I don't think 2 machines would be too many and the Brother would be a very capable travel machine... For me, I just couldn't justify buying a new machine just because it had a hello kitty emblem emblazoned on it, but everyone is different.

------
Vintage metal Brother straight stitcher (Gretta)
Brother PC-420 (Benny)
Bernina Artista 200 (Miss Priss)

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 7:01 AM

My vote is for you to keep the existing machine you like best, sell the other one you like less on ebay or other similar sites. And if you love Hello Kitty see if you can find some decals or stickers to add to your machine to make it more fun for you.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 10:52 AM

If you are a PR paying member you can sell your old machines right here. I have done that and sold it locally so didn't have to fuss with shipping.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 11:30 AM

Craigslist them or run ads where you can- - for example if you work does your work have a personal stuff for sale place? Mine does.

I would probably keep the Brother and your loved 8900!

For a lightweight backup why not a Janome 1050 - those are light as they can be. I have the Janome 8050 which is the same model in a less appealing paint job. I like it very much and it is lighter than the Babylock Audrey I bought in May! Let me say I like the Audrey for what I use it for which is sewing when on vacation, but the Janomes are light and full sized.

On the other hand you already have the Brother and they are usually pretty fun machines!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/23/14 12:13 PM

If the machines work, keep them.

Where there is a will, there is a way to store or display.

If the collection of feet don't fit anything you have, put them on eBay or CL. Or, mount, frame and hang on the wall as a decorative piece.

-- Edited on Today at 12:19 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Help! I dont like my old sewing machines!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

No Pattern Used 0111

photo
by: AnitaJJ

Review
Pants Fitting DVD

Pants Fitting DVD

Buy Now
Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Downloadable 122a

photo
by: punkmik

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.