SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Twin Needle Set-up for Bernina 1530 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Twin Needle Set-up for Bernina 1530
Need help!
vdonnenb
vdonnenb  Friend of PR
Member since 10/29/13
Send Message

Date: 6/22/14 7:30 PM

Hi! I'm trying to use a twin needle on my Bernina 1530, but I now realize that I don't know how to set the machine up for that. I understand the threading part, but I think there is a bobbin case adjustment required and I don't know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to vdonnenb <<

Date: 6/22/14 9:12 PM

No bobbin case adjustment is necessary for using a twin needle.

Grandma52
star
Grandma52
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/22/14 9:16 PM

Do you have a Manual? I have the 1530 if you need me to check I can dig it out. I've just never used the 1530 with a twin needle. But with my other machine I did not make any adjustments at all.

------
Janome 12,000
Bernina 1530
Elna Carina
Elna 704

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 6/22/14 9:21 PM

If your bobbin case is like the one in my B1230, it has a small hole in the "arm" that sticks up . I was told that if doing any kind of zig-zag stitch, to put the bobbin thread though this hole for more even stitches. The same could be true for using a double needle. I will have to check my instruction book to be sure, but I'll bet this is the case.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 6/22/14 9:21 PM

Oops...double post

-- Edited on Today at 9:22 PM --

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

vdonnenb
vdonnenb  Friend of PR
Member since 10/29/13
Send Message

Date: 6/23/14 7:54 AM

Sorry, I think my last post was sent before I was finished. I was just saying that I checked the manual, but didn't see anything about using the twin needle. When I tried it after threading, the needle got stuck down in the bobbin case. Also, I saw an old post from 2006 where the writer said she made some adjustment to a screw on her 1530 bobbin case when she used a twin needle. In fact, she said she kept an extra bobbin case with this adjustment made so she could just switch them out. I'm just trying to find out what the adjustment is, exactly. Thanks, again.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to vdonnenb <<

Date: 6/23/14 5:04 PM

Quote:
When I tried it after threading, the needle got stuck down in the bobbin case.

All I can say is yikes, something went wrong in your setup.

I had a 1530 and never had that problem, nor did it ever happen on my 1130. I never changed the bobbin case tension, either. I doubt I even threaded the thread through the bobbin case finger, because that would really enable tunnelling while topstitching. I definitely put it through the bobbin case finger though, when making pin tucks for heirloom sewing.
nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

Date: 6/24/14 0:50 AM

On my 1630 (nearly the same as a 1530) I don't do any adjusting of the bobbin case. I may decrease the upper tension if I get tunneling, but usually not. I was taught to put the left thread (thread on the left spool pin) on the left side of the tension disk, and the right thread on the right side of the disk, and to skip the last thread guide, right before the needle, with one of the threads (doesn't matter which one). The idea of all this is to keep the two threads separate as long as possible. I used a double needle all the time to hem knits before I got a coverstitch machine. Looks identical from the front side. I can't imagine why your needle got stuck in the bobbin case! My 1630 doesn't have the stitch finger on the bobbin case that some machines, like the 1130, have. I think this has the same effect as loosening the top tension-to pull the bobbin thread to the back side more. Didn't mean to write a whole page on this, but I hope this helps!

vdonnenb
vdonnenb  Friend of PR
Member since 10/29/13
Send Message

Date: 6/24/14 7:59 AM

Thanks, everybody! I'm going to try the set-up again, very carefully, and see what happens. If it gets stuck again I'll pack a lunch and head over to the Bernina dealer (it's far) and see what I am still doing wrong. Thanks, again, to everyone for your suggestions and support. If it turns out to be an interesting problem, I'll let you know. Probably user error, though. :-) -Vicki

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to vdonnenb <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/24/14 10:09 AM

There should be something in your manual in regards to the maximum width of double needle that is compatible with your machine,
You will want to be sure the needle you are trying to use is within these limits. Trying to use one that is too wide could result in some damage to your machine.

------
MartiP

New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Twin Needle Set-up for Bernina 1530

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Vogue Patterns 8817

photo
by: KathB

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2008-108

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.