SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Anyone have an industrial sewing machine for sewing leather? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anyone have an industrial sewing machine for sewing leather?
I would love to have an industrial sewing machine and learn to sew with leather.
Mrs4Him
star
Mrs4Him  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 7/19/09
Send Message

Date: 6/24/14 2:08 PM

I have been looking at them on ebay, but they are so expensive. So, I wondered if anyone had one they recommended. I've heard to buy one with a walking foot. Also, what constitutes an industrial sewing machine? The motor amperage? Any tips on sewing with leather? And do you have to have an industrial sewing machine to sew with leather?

Thanks so much,
Leslie

------
Sewing/Embroidery: Baby Lock Ellure Plus * Sewing: Kenmore 385.1764180 * Sewing: Kenmore 385.17124 * Sewing: Vintage-Singer 115 * Serger: Baby Lock Evolve
><>

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to Mrs4Him <<

Date: 6/24/14 2:22 PM

Hi Leslie,you may want to visit and read different topics on the leatherworker.net/forum.

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to Mrs4Him <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/24/14 2:27 PM

I use my industrial Juki 5550 single needle with a teflon foot to sew garment weight leather. I opt for this instead of the walking foot because I also need to sew regular garments and I don't sew enough leather right now to justify the walking foot- as you pointed out, it's quite an investment and I need so many other things first.

But if you are going to be sewing leather day in and day out, the walking foot would be best.

Speed, motor size and durability make up the machines industrial quality. The motor is quite an appendage that mounts outside the machine as opposed to the cute little motor inside an home machine. I haven't really checked out the amperage or anything... I just know I prefer the quiet motor over some that I have had in the past that sound like a 747 just from being in the "on" position even when you are not sewing!

An average home machine goes about 850 stitches per minute. My Juki goes over 5000 stitches per minute!

I don't know about the calibrated pressure on the pressure foot, but it is WAY substantial in comparison to a home machine.

I will see if I can attach some garments I have made with my juki.

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.FashionHackPatterns.com

Mrs4Him
star
Mrs4Him  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 7/19/09
Send Message

In reply to Catina <<

Date: 6/24/14 2:45 PM

Wow! You are so talented and with using leather. Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate it. Maybe someday I will have the $ to buy one and the room to store it!

Leslie

------
Sewing/Embroidery: Baby Lock Ellure Plus * Sewing: Kenmore 385.1764180 * Sewing: Kenmore 385.17124 * Sewing: Vintage-Singer 115 * Serger: Baby Lock Evolve
><>

Mrs4Him
star
Mrs4Him  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 7/19/09
Send Message

In reply to TeeGee <<

Date: 6/24/14 2:45 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out!

Leslie

------
><>

Kathleen Fasanella
star
Kathleen Fasanella  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 1/12/05
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/25/14 10:45 AM

A few additions to what Catina said. Context: I'm a patternmaker who specializes in leather RTW products.

5,000 stitches per minute is scary and one figures they'd never need to sew that quickly (and you mostly don't for whole garment construction) and so, wonders if an industrial is overkill. I'll tell you, it's not. The benefits of an industrial have less to do with speed than stitch quality. The difference btwn the stitch quality of a home machine vs an industrial, are often night and day. By that I mean, the seam appearance on the underside sewn by an industrial machine is just as lovely as the topside.

Another thing, modern industrials with servo motors aren't noisy; they make less noise than home machines. They're also much more configurable (speed etc) and use almost no energy at all when the machine isn't running.

You can get a Juki 1541 for about $1800. At least, that's what I paid for mine and I got a special table with casters instead of K-legs. As compared to a walmart starter, sure, $1800 is a lot of money but it's a whole lot less than what I've read others have paid for their home machines. If you want the ultimate in leather sewing, you could get the 1541-7; that costs about $4,000. It is a lovely machine but I chose not to buy it because it requires air (using a compressor) and altho I have a 50 gal compressor, positioning it by the machine would have involved reorganizing the whole sewing line. I may get one yet if I move to a larger location.

Another option is a needle feed; these can sew garment weights (2-3 oz) very well. I have a Juki 9010SH. Like Catina, I use a teflon foot with it.

As far as leather sewing tips... I haven't written much about it because it seems that there was insufficient interest. Perhaps it is because there is a lot of information out there and people found that good enough. In my experience tho, I haven't found much that concurs with my 30+ years of RTW leather garment manufacturing experience. Fwiw, here are a few; the review of leather fashion design details what is often taught vs field experience:
Sewing with leather pt1
Sewing with leather pt2
Review: Leather Fashion Design
Leather pattern making and sewing class

Edited to add links to troubleshooting which may be useful
Solving sewing problems by testing your machines (mentions sewing with vinyl on a Juki 1541-7)
A refresher on basic industrial sewing concepts

-- Edited on Today at 10:49 AM --

------
http://fashion-incubator.com
Lessons from the sustainable sewing factory floor

abcameo
abcameo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 11/17/04
Send Message

In reply to Catina <<

Date: 6/25/14 2:57 PM

Wow--you're a fabulous sewist!!

I'm so jelly... but aspire to reach some degree of pro level one of these years.

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to abcameo <<

Date: 6/25/14 3:08 PM

I'm only this good because I don't cook and refuse to learn. If this were "pattern and recipe review.com" there is no way you would find me on here! lol

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.FashionHackPatterns.com

aquiltersheart
aquiltersheart  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 9/3/12
Send Message

In reply to Mrs4Him <<

Date: 6/25/14 3:12 PM

I have a Janome 1600 P and sews leather like butter. About $ 700.00, on QVC YOU CAN MAKE PAYMENTS, or go to a Janome dealer for lessons and such.

aquiltersheart
aquiltersheart  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 9/3/12
Send Message

In reply to aquiltersheart <<

Date: 6/25/14 3:37 PM

Also, FYI , Janome 1600P goes 1600 stitches pm and a Teflon foot . This is classified as commercial/ home and I can't say enough good about it. High speed straight stitch .

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Anyone have an industrial sewing machine for sewing leather?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-122

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.