SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 640 problems, help! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 640 problems, help!
Bernina 640 issues
Decohen2
Decohen2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/15/14
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 1:56 AM

I was hoping some fellow Bernina owners could help me with my 640. I just bought a floor model from my local dealership and the machine worked well in the store. Since getting it home yesterday the auto thread cutter button and the up/down needle button work intermittently. They seem to work less when I'm on a straight stitch vs zigzag or deco. But I guess that could be in my head. I can hear the chirp of the button but it doesn't actually do what it's supposed too. And also I'm having freezing issues- occasionally it gets frozen in the sewing mode when I'm on a stitch and I've stopped sewing- but then I can't go back to other stitches nor will the machine continue to sew. I'm so confused with what's happening. Has anyone else experienced this.

Also this is my first Bernina!! So I'm not sure if there are some settings or quirks that I don't know about. I'm so bummed about this because I was really starting to bond with the machine. I've never bought a machine from a dealer before so I don't know the process of returning/exchanging / getting it fixed. But it's upsetting to think it might have to be in the shop the first week I own it. Thanks!!
-- Edited on Today at 2:11 AM --

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Decohen2 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/14 4:26 AM

I have a 640 which I've had since 2007 and I haven't experienced any of the problems you're having. The thread cutter works (though I don't use it as it tends to leave birds' nests), the up/down needle button works every time and I've never had it freeze on me. You should definitely take it back and it should be under warranty, so check what the conditions are. I'm surprised this would be a floor model as the Artista series is very old now. It had already been out for several years when I bought my machine, and it has been replaced by the 8 and 7 series in recent years. Having said that, my 640 has been bug and hassle free and still works reliably every time, so you should be experiencing a similar level of enjoyment with your machine. My advice is to take it back and if it can't be fixed, insist that your dealer replace it with a newer machine. What you're describing is definitely not normal.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Decohen2 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/14 10:12 AM

Call the dealer, and then you most likely are going to be asked to bring it in - do not delay. Get it done right now while it is just days since you purchased it.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 10:39 AM

I know it doesn't help but I've never had these problems on mine either. So follow the good advice and take it in right away! Maybe something got jostled in transport that affect several functions. Take it in with fabric right there in place needle wherever, just as it was when sewing stopped.

I've also never hesitated to use my cutter, no thread nests. I did have one before it that needed the cutter adjusted, an easy fix, but because it cut too short, still no nesting, so perhaps yours can be tweaked (sorry forgot who mentioned this).

As to floor models it has been awhile since these were phased out but then some dealers may not have had them well enough priced to incentivize someone to buy when the new model line came out so ya just never know! It's a great machine!

------
Karen

cherylwashere
star
cherylwashere  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 4/10/04
Send Message

In reply to Decohen2 <<

Date: 6/25/14 10:45 AM

Congratulations... and sorry to read you are having issues with your new sm... and no this is not a normal thing for Bernina sm's or any other brand... All should work perfectly when sewing with it...
Call your dealer...asap.

------
Bernina 820, Bernina 330, Pfaff Creative 7530, Janome 1600P

Decohen2
Decohen2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/15/14
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 11:52 AM

Thanks so much for the input! I spoke with my dealership yesterday and they acted a tad defensive - saying it was working fine in the shop. But they are putting a call into bernina and I'm going to hear back today hopefully. Not sure what bernina can do / or will say but this is so irritating now that I know it's not a common thing.

Decohen2
Decohen2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/15/14
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 11:57 AM

Also I just checked the hours the sewing machine has been on and it's the equivalent to 3 years. But no sewing time on it. Under and hour and that's pretty much all me. Does that make anyone nervous that the machine has been on that long? I have a full warranty and paid 3,500 in Los Angeles.

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

In reply to Decohen2 <<

Date: 6/25/14 12:27 PM

I can't send you a pm as I'm not currently a paid member but am also in LA and work for some dealers in the area (pretty sure you didn't get it from us as we haven't had a 640 in a long long time!) ... perhaps you could pm me? JUst wondering where you got it and if there's some way I can be of help.

------
Karen

Decohen2
Decohen2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/15/14
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 12:38 PM

Hi Karen- I just pmed you.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Decohen2 <<

Date: 6/25/14 1:12 PM

You should exchange email addresses with Karen and that will help you a lot. Then get phone numbers, and she can help you even more. She is a real sweetie to offer to help.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 640 problems, help!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

McCall's 5006

photo
by: lexi11

Review
Lekala Patterns 4158

photo
by: Karla Kize...

Review
The Essential Tote

The Essential Tote

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.