SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Altering RTW jeans jacket

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Altering RTW jeans jacket
to pretty it up a bit?
Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 12:15 PM

I don't know where to put this, so I'll try here.

I've just bought this jeans jacket and while it fits OK and is probably fit-for-purpose (Please see other thread : going on trip out of my comfort zone...)

in my opinion it looks really scruffy. It's not really my kinda thing and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm too old to wear this style (awaits robust rebuttals) but my OH likes it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could pretty it up a bit and make it look less, er, industrial and more...feminine? I'm not thinking of taking it apart or anything, more on the lines of some strategic embroidery, or something like that.

Edited to add: Why do these type of garments look pre-worn? I must be getting old, to think that, right?

-- Edited on Today at 12:16 PM --

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 12:20 PM

Floral, bird, or pretty color embroidery up along the button and/or sleeve plackets, on the pocket flaps? Cover the yoke with a pretty quilting cotton?

Pre-worn look has been "in" for some 15 years at this point. People want their "new" clothes to look like they've had them for a while which is weird and dumb. The only thing I can imagine is that some designer decided it made the wearer look like they were "ahead of the fashion curve" which is odd. You can still find some things (particularly denim, but only in certain stores it seems like) that haven't been "worn." I bought my father a Superman hat a few years ago that had the "worn" fabric on the bill. First thing he did was try to trim it all off so the hat would look newer! Can't blame him.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/25/14 12:57 PM

Hi Han, thanks for replying so quickly!

Good ideas, and I'll take them on board. I'll have to wear this jacket for my journeys out and homebound, and have already decided NOT to wear denim jeans with it - too much denim! (I love denim and have made a lovely shirt and waistcoat, but don't wear it head to foot: I'm over 60!)

OTOH as my sister once wisely said "who's looking at you, anyway?"

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/25/14 2:26 PM

My vote: grab some rit dye in a fun color of your choice and overdye that baby! The blue will likely stay predominant and the lighter threads will take on a new color- bright yellow, pink, purple, fuschia.

Other than that, I would just let it be the classic that it is.

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.PatternHackFairy.com

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/14 2:55 PM

I picked up a thrifted one, wanted a fitted style instead of the old straight-line farm type.
Added prettier, larger thrifted buttons from a blazer (cheaper than finding new) and topstitched with the triple-machine stitch in golden over several of the faded-out parts--collar, cuffs, front.
It is for any age--magazines show wearing them with long printed skirt, boots or flats, simple white top, chinos and red scarf, etc.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/14 4:25 PM

I think a plain denim jacket makes a great foil for accessories. It can also help tone down a bright top since it just shows a pop of the color from the top underneath.

You can roll the sleeves to 3/4 and wear chunky bracelets with it too.

------
Mary

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to marymary86 <<

Date: 6/25/14 4:32 PM

I'm glad you are chiming in on this. As a patternmaker, sometimes I am just focused on a singular garment in and of itself... I forget about the "stylist" eye (which I don't seem to have! lol)

------
Catina Ferraine

www.PatternHackFairy.com

Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

Date: 6/25/14 5:04 PM

Some very good ideas coming through here!

Change buttons

Try to get weird areas (there are many) into sewing machine and embroider stitch them with bright colours

Wear really bright tops underneath

thanks ladies!

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/25/14 5:12 PM

I find that embellished jeans jackets always look dated very quickly. or else they look very Becky Home-Ecky. Also embellishment will peg the jacket to be worn only in one particular way. If the jacket is plain it can be worn in a wider range of settings and over a longer period of time. I would leave it plain. I would date the worn look not to 15 years ago but to several decades back. ( I remember worn looking jeans back when i was in high school back in the 1970's...and there was certainly the acid washed era of the 1980's) You aren't too old to wear it, but I would refrain from mucking it up.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

In reply to sarah in nyc <<

Date: 6/25/14 5:40 PM

eeek... I am shy to say this, but I totally agree that I am not fond of the "crafty" look because it can get dated and awkward as you pointed out.

This brings me to another extreme.. I know our poster was not fond of the "worn" look, but I'm wondering if bleaching the garment could also be a cool versatile look?

------
Catina Ferraine

www.PatternHackFairy.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Altering RTW jeans jacket

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 5425

photo
by: Jemajyng

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.