SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Adding width to front pant inner legs

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Adding width to front pant inner legs
kajero
star
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

Date: 6/29/14 0:57 AM

According to all the information I've read on fitting, I need to increase the front inner width on my pants.

How do I do this without adding to the crotch width or length?

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/22/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/29/14 8:49 AM

I might be mistaken, but I don't think you can add at the inner thigh without adding to the crotch and changing the width of the leg.

Check out this link for a good starting place. I guess once you add, you can always reshape the leg a bit thinner lower down if you'd like.
http://cationdesigns.blogspot.com/2013/09/pants-pattern-alterations.html

Do you have any good fitting books? I really like "Fitting & Pattern Alteration" by Liechty et al. It costs a zillion bucks though, but has so much good info.

Also, what made you decide you need this alteration? Pants sure are weird, aren't they?

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

jenleeC
starstar
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

In reply to Annette Wright <<

Date: 6/29/14 7:46 PM

Thanks for posting the link to Cation Designs! Very interesting.

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

kajero
star
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to Annette Wright <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/29/14 10:03 PM

Quote: Annette Wright
I might be mistaken, but I don't think you can add at the inner thigh without adding to the crotch and changing the width of the leg.

Also, what made you decide you need this alteration? Pants sure are weird, aren't they?

I figured you could not add width to the inner leg without increasing the crotch. Thank you for agreeing with me. At least now I will quit trying.

I took the Craftsy class, "Pant Fitting Techniques" with Sandra Betzina. I also gave up on the class. Sandra suggested I increase the front inner leg width when I asked about pants being too tight across the front of my thighs. When I did that the front crotch was too long and she suggested I shorten it. After I shortened the crotch the pants fit worse than before.

I had trouble understanding most of her explanations so I didn't ask anymore questions.

------
Kathy

simplystitches
simplystitches
Intermediate
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/29/14 10:23 PM

Sounds like a full front thigh. This is the alteration I've used with success. It's a bit fiddly to do but it works!

If you have a muslin that you're willing to slash that will tell you about how much you need to alter by the amount of the spread. It may also tell you that's not the alteration you need!

Pulling on the front thigh can also be from a too long front crotch length.

I took the same Craftys class and was disappointed. I didn't get anything more than I'd already gotten on my own in fitting books!

Debbie

Debbie

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 6/29/14 10:28 PM

Not sure if you have a pants fitting book or not (I have a Singer one that I bought on Amazon for only a few dollars) but here is some basics. http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/C227/
This shows adding to the inner leg seam. It also shows several other alterations for pants too.

kajero
star
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 6/29/14 10:50 PM

Quote: simplystitches
Pulling on the front thigh can also be from a too long front crotch length.

Then front crotch length is always too long for me. I always shorten it least an inch.

I have many pants fitting books and bookmarks for various types of pants alterations. It just seems I never get it right although my SO says my pants look fine and I am being way too fussy.

------
Kathy

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/22/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/30/14 7:24 AM

Maybe just go to the thrift shop and try on lots of pants and buy some that fit (in the thigh) and take them apart and go from there.

There's always stretch woven fabrics.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/30/14 8:37 AM

I just finished Kathleen Cheethams Crafty class on the waist hips and back. She included thigh and upper leg adjustments.

She demonstrated alterations on giving more thigh room at the outer hip, across the thigh and another on the inner thigh. It did not add to the crotch, she just swung the design ruler out from the crotch point and drew a convex curve. She noted it was very important to ease the curve in well above the knee point.

She said it might look strange because we are not used to seeing a pattern look like that but not to worry as that was where the fabric was needed.

I took Sandra's class too and found her teaching style a bit too disconnected for my understanding.

I really appreciated Katlheens measured and clear approach. This was the 3rd class I took in her series and I will write up a review, hopefully soon.

I learned quite a bit more about the slash and pivots and truing up seams and darts while ensuring that you preserved the grainline. It was more than just watching how she did it- she explained why and always covered adding the room or removing it on each problem area.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

kajero
star
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/30/14 11:30 AM

Maybe I will enroll in that class. I sure didn't get much out of Sandra Betzina's. Thank you for the information!

------
Kathy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Adding width to front pant inner legs

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Self Drafted Pattern Designed after Burda 8123

photo
by: julliams

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 24644-1000

photo
by: cimmanon

Review
The City Bag

The City Bag

Buy Now
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.