SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Kenmore Sewing Machine Help ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kenmore Sewing Machine Help
Thread Jamming
lolanicoleblogs
lolanicoleblogs
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/1/14 9:25 PM

I have an older sears kenmore sewing machine. Model 1310, I'm having a thread jamming issue. I've taken it apart, put it back together rethreaded everything more than one and it's still happening. Anyone have any ideas it's a late 60s early, 70s model I was told and there are no shops in my area that know anything about these machines. Please help.

Thanks all
-- Edited on Today at 9:25 PM --

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/1/14 9:43 PM

Have you been sewing with this machine all along and this problem just suddenly started happening, or is the machine new to you?
I ask because it could be a number of things...

lolanicoleblogs
lolanicoleblogs
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/1/14 11:24 PM

It was my grandmothers but she was using it and it was fine. She hadn't used it in awhile so I got it to start using it but it just keeps tangling before I can sew.

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to lolanicoleblogs <<

Date: 7/2/14 0:17 AM

My grandmother said the same thing but when I maintenanced the machine I found out what the deal was. The needle was inserted incorrectly, the bobbin was in the bobbin case with the thread reeling off in the wrong direction, (the thread must reel off as illustrated in your manual) the thread was very very old and linty, the bobbin tension was off and the machine needed oiling per the manual. Easily done...

I fixed all these things in about a half hour and made the trip home. It was so cute because later she called me and was so excited I had made her sewing machine sew "like new" again. The relevant (and easy) thing I did that "fixed" it was put in a new needle and insert it correctly and clean all lint out of the bobbin case area and oil.

Do you have the manual?
I would make sure the things I mentioned were correct and go from there. Make sure there are no threads stuck anywhere and that you are lowering the presser foot when you sew. Thick fabric layers can also lift the presser foot just enough to disengage the tension discs, and cause uncontrolled tension on the upper thread.

That's a start anyway. I hope this helps...

:)

Btw - I know someone who actually sewed a whole quilt with the presser foot up because she found it easier, so I thought I should mention it. Her poor quilt fell completely apart and she was really unhappy about it.

-- Edited on Today at 0:25 AM --

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

Date: 7/2/14 3:27 AM

"Anyone have any ideas it's a late 60s early, 70s model I was told and there are no shops in my area that know anything about these machines."
I didn't think my area had any sm repair people either, but actually there are many here! So please keep looking, I'm sure you'll find someone. Having someone who knows what they are doing to give your sm a onceover and servicing is really worth it.
I love the old Kenmores. Janome made my Kenmore model 185, and that's why I bought a Janome for my second sm.
Anyway, I had this same problem for about two months with my Kenny. The cleaning really helped and they also filed some thread catching spots inside and fixed a problem with the bobbin case. It was a Craigslist sm that I was told had been recently serviced but it had actually been some time and it hadn't been used in a while so that made it lock up a bit.
But I would still get lots of thread jams after this because it was (and still is) awkward for me to hold my threads at the beginning of the seam. All of my machines need this from me, but my Kenny was the most unforgiving on this point. I have to hold them just so and lay off the pedal.
The other thing it really didn't like was Gutermann thread. I switched to Mettler polyester thread and saw an immediate improvement. Which is not a comment on Gutermann quality, but Kenny likes Mettler and Coats and Clark.
Anyway, congrats on a great sm and I hope you find a repair person. Everybody needs one. Also, try any specialty shops in your area. I found a local store I thought was just for embroidery, but it turns out they are licensed Elna dealers and their repair guy will fix anything! Good luck!

woole bully

woole bully
Intermediate
Member since 8/9/06
Send Message

Date: 7/2/14 10:07 AM

there is a yahoo group specifically for kenmore machines. they may be able to help you. also, if you go to sears.com they have a site for parts. don't know about anyone else but the sewing shops around me can fix pert near any sewing machine...esp. the mechanical ones.

------
be yourself; everyone else is already taken: oscar wilde

HelenM01
HelenM01
Member since 10/7/12
Send Message

Date: 7/2/14 10:14 AM

Vacuum stores often offer sewing machine repair, and some tool shops do, too. Kenmore is a Sears product, so they should (in theory!) be able to fix your machine or at a minimum provide the correct parts.

If you don't have a manual, do a Google search. I've seen sewing sites that offer downloadable pdf for just about every machine imaginable, and others that sell photocopies of old sm manuals

lolanicoleblogs
lolanicoleblogs
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/2/14 11:22 AM

Yeah I tried Sears, I called and they told me no one could help me but gave me a 1800 number to call and ask questions I guess. The shops in my area I live in Orlando, Fl don't seem to know how to work with Kenmore either which is odd. Everytime I tell them its an older machine they sound all shocked and direct me to reading my manual or buying a new machine. Heres a link to a video I made of whats happening though. http://youtu.be/uIiBYLNLz8I
-- Edited on Today at 11:23 AM --

lolanicoleblogs
lolanicoleblogs
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

In reply to woole bully <<

Date: 7/2/14 11:28 AM

Oh really would you happen to know what the name of the yahoo group is? I couldn't find it.

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 7/2/14 12:23 PM

I watched your video and I saw two possible things.

1- Your bobbin thread is in the bobbin case incorrectly. The thread should be pulled off the spool to the right and then pulled back on itself as it goes into the bobbin case. That doesn't make much sense when you read it, but if you have the manual pay attention to how the thread is coming off the bobbin and how it is threaded through the bobbin case. ETA: Let me see if I can find a visual for you.

2 - This may just be a bad visual, but there is a tension thread guide on top of the machine directly above the tension mechanism. Is the thread threaded through that correctly? I couldn't really tell, but it looked odd in the video.
-- Edited on Today at 12:23 PM --

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Kenmore Sewing Machine Help

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-119

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Checkbook Cover

Checkbook Cover

Buy Now
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Buy Now
Dixie DIY Hot Cocoa Sweater

photo
by: Pemberley

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.