SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Seam Binding? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Seam Binding?
Robinwild1
Robinwild1
Advanced Beginner
Canada
Member since 7/4/14
Send Message

Date: 7/4/14 3:40 PM

I hope it is okay if I keep asking questions....there is no one I know who sews and I am trying to teach myself! So, I am making the housecoat and I am at the point where I am attaching the sleeve to the front and back. It says to baste seam binding and I don't know what that is or what the picture is trying to show. I am attaching a link to see the pattern step from the instructions. https://www.flickr.com/photos/116698258@N03/sets/72157645512520174/
I think the pattern assumes you can sew well already. Also, I made the darts for the shoulders as in the picture, and pressed the seam open, but does it just stay like that?Thanks so much!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/4/14 5:40 PM

It looks like it is being used to "stay" the seams to keep them from stretching.

picture
-- Edited on Today at 5:41 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Liamsmama
Liamsmama
Advanced Beginner
Alberta Canada
Member since 12/23/13
Send Message

Date: 7/4/14 7:03 PM

I agree, it looks like it's being used to stay the seam. Does it tell you what you are supposed to use as "seam binding"? I would probably use a twill tape, it looks like you are meant to sew it while you sew the seam. So just pin it to the edge of your seam allowance and sew as though it were another layer of fabric rather than attaching it separately either before or after you sew your seam.

beginagain
star
beginagain  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/30/06
Send Message

Date: 7/4/14 7:31 PM

The Wright's hem tape is sometimes referred to as seam binding.

------
If you wait for the perfect time to start, you'll never start.

Robinwild1
Robinwild1
Advanced Beginner
Canada
Member since 7/4/14
Send Message

Date: 7/4/14 7:35 PM

All it said for notions was "seam binding". No explanation. It is a simplicity pattern from, I am guessing, the 60's. I am not familiar with twill tape......is it something common?

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 7/4/14 7:54 PM

In the 60s, 1/2" wide seam binding, was rayon, which is much softer than the polyester stuff they put in 3-yard packages on the notions aisle now. You'd be doing yourself a favor if you opted for polyester twill tape, instead. It's also available in precut lengths on the notions aisle. It will serve the same purpose inside your robe, and you'll find lots of other uses for it as your sewing progresses. Another option, possibly more readily available since it might not require a trip to the store, is the selvage edge of a piece of closely woven cotton or polyester/cotton. Just cut a 1/2 strip of the selvage and use it wherever the instructions say "seam binding." All you're doing is stitching a non-stretch, ribbony length of something to a seam that might stretch out of shape because it is cut on the bias. Frankly, today's version of that robe probably wouldn't have you even bother with the binding.

-- Edited on Today at 7:59 PM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/5/14 9:43 AM

Yes, I have even used a piece of ribbon in a pinch, but the stay "stuff " ( what ever you use )is important, depending on the fabric that you are using for the garment, for the reason stated.

sacjeanie
sacjeanie  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/1/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/14 10:29 AM

WARNING: NOVICE COMMENT
Would they be recommending something like Hug Snug? http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm/pid/1203/Hug-Snug-Seam-Binding-Black/

plumfan
star
plumfan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 1/8/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/14 11:52 AM

I have nothing to add on the seam binding, but please do keep asking questions. I've found everyone on PR to be very helpful, even for questions others might consider very basic.

------
Stash in as of Feb. 1, 2014 - 43
2014 Items finished for me - 12
2014 Items for others - 9
Approximate yardage used - 40

sew4grands
star
sew4grands  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

Date: 7/5/14 12:01 PM

I like to finish seams using my serger. Try it if you have one, on a piece of scrap. You can also finish seams with a sewing machine, use a close zigzag stitch. You want to practice this first.
Seam binding and hem tape are two different things. Seam binding has a double fold, so it will wrap around the seam easy, hem tape is flat.

------
Nancy B.
I sew with 4 Brothers and a Featherweight
Babylock Serger

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Seam Binding?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Lekala Patterns 4177

photo
by: SuzyBee

Review
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

More Info
Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop 8th Avenue Skirt Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.