SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What do you do with your test garments? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What do you do with your test garments?
fabricaddiction
fabricaddiction
Beginner
Member since 1/12/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/9/14 5:20 PM

I've always been puzzled by this. Sewers all over create test garments and muslins.

But, after all the sewing, and correcting, and so on, where do they go? How are they used? Does a muslin get re-used? Or thrown away?

I'm very new to sewing, but am an old hat at reading about sewing

linaml
linaml
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 4/16/14
Send Message

Date: 7/9/14 5:44 PM

I try to make 'wearable' muslins as far as possible, so even if they don't look good enough to wear out, they can become loungewear. If that doesn't work out, I keep all my scraps to make this: Square Floor Cushion by Rae

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

Date: 7/9/14 5:58 PM

If I'm using proper muslin fabric I'll cut up the garment and reuse the fabric - either for another muslin or for lining pieces. More often, though, I'm using fashion fabric I don't like very much, though that is dwindling as I get better at judging online fabric choices. If the muslin doesn't work out in a fashion fabric then I either donate it or cut it up for lining or new muslins.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 7/9/14 6:24 PM

I have used bodice muslins for the lining, and also cut smaller pieces for other muslins from them. I tend to use the cheap batiste/broadcloth from Hobby Lobby, in a variety of colors, so it also works for facings and trim in a pinch.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to fabricaddiction <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/9/14 7:57 PM

I don't make many muslins, but when I do I use muslin.
After I'm done with the muslin stage, I label it with a Sharpie and file it in my muslin file. I've gone back and tweaked muslins for later versions of the garment.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

Date: 7/9/14 9:11 PM

If I can reuse the fabric I do (usually old sheets or muslin) or I discard them. I always baste in the zipper so I can reuse it.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/10/14 8:02 AM

I don't have the time nor space to keep items I don't like or want. So:

If I use an "I don't care about it" fabric and it comes out well, I'll wear it.

If I use an "I don't care about it" fabric and it comes fine but doesn't work for me, I'll donate it.

If I use muslin I will typically throw it out after I have transferred any changes to my pattern.

If it doesn't come out well, I will throw it out. If the pieces are large enough, I might keep them to use as a new muslin, but that is rarely the case.

Oh, and as Speech girl said, I always save any zippers or buttons used before I throw the draft out.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

Date: 7/10/14 8:23 AM

It depends on how I construct the muslin and what I use. Most recently I've taken to using an old sheet set (so far I've made 3 muslins and still have plenty of sheet left). So obviously that's not going to be a wearable muslin. When I construct it, I use a basting stitch because it sews up faster but of course is not a very strong stitch. I throw those away.

I have used some fabrics that my feelings wouldn't be hurt if it didn't turn out too well. So I construct those the right way.

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

In reply to linaml <<

Date: 7/10/14 8:23 AM

That is a very good idea for use of scraps. I'm going to go home this evening and pull some scraps out of the waste can.

geniknits
geniknits  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/12
Send Message

Date: 7/10/14 10:23 AM

I take mine apart and label/mark notches etc. and use for my pattern. That way I know my final garment will be perfect.

------
"Love the life you live, Live the life you Love" ~Geni

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What do you do with your test garments?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.