SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Accuracy With The Go Baby ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Accuracy With The Go Baby
any problems
jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/13/14 3:06 PM

I just cut a bunch of colored and white squares with my Go Baby for HST's. The white squares were cut in layers of 5 and the colored squares were cut as one or two layers. Now, that I'm putting them together, the white squares are anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 inch smaller.

While I was putting together the blocks, I noticed that some didn't match seams very well. I've been telling myself that it was my sewing because I was using the machine!! Now, I'm thinking that it is the cutting.

Has anyone had this happen? If I have to go back to cutting singly, I might as well do it by hand!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/13/14 7:57 PM

Oh drats! I am sorry to hear this about the Baby Go! I had been thinking that it would be nice to get one and put it on my Christmas list but now I am rethinking. What I do know about the cutter is that one has to set the grain of the fabric along the same line as the cutter die. I also wonder if fabric weight has anything to do with its cutting capability. I have heard such great raves about the Go and even more about the Studio Go which I don't have room for. I know SouthernStitch has one, maybe you can contact her to ask about here experience.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/13/14 10:00 PM

I did find the video and drew the lines on the die so the fabric would be aligned correctly. The Baby has the square on a slight angle so the guides are necessary and I didn't cut off the selvages so I could be sure I was feeding in the proper direction...the white fabric is maybe a little stiffer than the regular quilting cotton..It's the more expensive Kona from JoAnn's, not the $3.00 a yard stuff.

I guess I'll just have to cut less layers at a time, but I won't be buying any more of the dies!!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 7/13/14 11:34 PM

An alternative to the Go Baby might be a Cuttlebug, I recently learned they can use Sizzix dies.
I tried out my dd's Sizzix BigKick, she used for scrapbooking with a Sizzix tumbler die I bought from Missouri Quilt company. She showed me how it worked and we had so much fun cutting the shapes. It cut 7 layers no problem.
I ended up buying my ownBigKick/BigShot/Fabi (they're all the same) but a Cuttlebug is smaller.
-- Edited on Today at 11:51 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 7/14/14 11:04 AM

You don't mention what die you are using. If it is the 5" square, it can be unreliable at times. Several years ago I wrote a negative review on the GO cutter due to it cutting over 100- 5" squares inaccurately at times. I was pretty upset about this revelation---even though I pressed, starched, set the fabric on the die correctly. I sold all my dies and the cutter due to this incident---

Recently I repurchased a GO cutter. Not the 'baby' one---but the regular GO just to cut 6.5" tumblers and 3.5 tumblers…that is all I use it for.

I only cut 4 layers of fabric, no matter what-----that is the limit I trust it to cut fairly accurately.

I still feel it is a great die cutter, but more for appliqué or specific cuts (like the tumbler with the angled notched corners)---but I won't use it for squares or strips. I can do those faster, and certainly more accurately with a June Tailer or Martelli strip cutter or rotary ruler.

-- Edited on Today at 11:06 AM --

------
Angie Rose
2008 Babylock Ellisimo
2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000
Bernina 1090
Singer Featherweight
2009 Prodigy Quilter Long Arm
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to AngieRose <<

Date: 7/14/14 11:25 AM

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one!! I've got the value die set...it's a 4.5" square, 2.5" square and 2 2.5" triangles. I'll try again with fewer layers.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 7/14/14 12:12 PM

Jannw,

Hope you have better luck this time---do be sure to press and starch your fabrics first. Fewer layers for sure.
When I complained about inaccuracies on my blog, several quilters commented if accuracy was my forte, then the GO cutter was not probably something I would be happy with.

Some quilters like to do strip type quilts and that is why they love the GO cutter. Accuracy is not as important for those types of quilts.

------
Angie Rose
2008 Babylock Ellisimo
2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000
Bernina 1090
Singer Featherweight
2009 Prodigy Quilter Long Arm
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/14/14 1:10 PM

I also will only do 4 layers. I much prefer to cut strips using it, as I don't have anything but one large Creativ Grids ruler for that sort of thing. It's fine, but sometimes it'll slip on me.
I have only cut HST on the original die that comes with the cutter, and those came out fine. I'll be cutting more, larger ones out soon. I hope that I don't have the same problem as you Jan! So sorry this happened.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/14/14 2:13 PM

Thanx....4 layers only it is and maybe I'll get the strip die, afterall. I do like scrap and strip quilts. I was hoping that this would improve my accuracy as that's a problem for me. I'll concentrate on my seam allowances.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 7/14/14 7:05 PM

I have a lot of the dies but not the 5 inch. I am not tremendously focused on accuracy but I would notice if something was 1/4 out. I have wondered sometimes about the die combo for flying geese as sometimes that does not seem quite right unless you are using the ambiguous scant 1/4 inch, but otherwise I haven't noticed. I also think 4 layers the limit because it can shift easy also fusible web adds bulk. I would still rather die or machine cut appliqué shapes than hand cut

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Accuracy With The Go Baby

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2069

photo
by: megumi

Review
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

Buy Now
Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.