SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Embroidery machine needles ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Embroidery machine needles
laceyworks
laceyworks
Member since 5/12/14
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 10:34 AM

Hello y'all!

I have a HV Designer Ruby & am wondering what brand of needles you use in your machine? The book suggests inspira and that is what I use currently, but they only come 5 needles to a pack and I throw them out frequently! I haven't found them in my area and was wondering if anyone uses a different brand and what the results are? I do always try and stick with what my manual says, but sometimes I feel like it's just a marketing technique. I mean my dishwasher suggest Finish brand, and my washing machine Tide, and you know the list goes on and on. Or have you found a place that sells more than 5 inspira needles per pack?

Thanks so much!

Edited: 9/3/14
Ok, so a lot of y'all said you used Organ brand needles and shared the website you purchase from. I was going to place an order on Wawak for serger thread and thought I might grab some embroidery needles while I was at it. Can y'all tell me if these would work with my machine? Several others said they use Schmetz and I picked some of those up at Joann and they worked fine, but Wawak doesn't carry Schmetz embroidery. Here are the Embroidery Needles Wawak carries.

Thanks so much!!
-- Edited on Today at 9:24 AM --
-- Edited on Today at 9:25 AM --

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/16/14 5:50 PM

I use organ brand titanium coated embroidery needles. I get them in 100 pack at all brands.com I find them very good.

Grandma52
star
Grandma52
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 6:13 PM

I also use the Organ needles, they are reasonably priced. I had a 50% coupon for Joann's today and since they did not have what I went in there for, I thought I would try the Schmitz Gold Embroidery needles, but have not tried them yet and they are not cheap.

------
Janome 12,000
Bernina 1530
Elna Carina
Elna 704

TC Connie
TC Connie  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 9:33 AM

HV makes Inspira that's why they recommend them. I use Schmetz and Superior needles in my HV Designer SE.I think they last longer than the Inspira.

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/2/03
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 9:46 AM

I've used Organ and Schmetz. Both are good. My machines came with Bernina needles but organ and schmetz are more easily gettable.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, Artista 630E, B580
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, BL Enlighten, BL Sashiko, BL Cover Stitch, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 9:48 AM

Inspira is recommended for HV and Pfaff machines. I asked the repair tech about it and he told me that Inspira needles are designed for those machines. They are supposed to be the perfect length to match the up/down and catch the thread from the bobbin.

I bought an embroidery design that recommended the use of a different brand needle and 60 wt thread. My machine is now in the repair shop.

I will not use any other brand again! I'm just fortunate the machine is still under warranty.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 9:49 AM

I switched to the Organ Titanium coated needles a few years ago when using sticky back stabilizer that was gumming up the thread and needle.

The coating keeps the needle cooler and they also last about 8 times longer than a non-coated needle.

I now use this type of needle for all sewing, embroidery and serging.

I also bought in bulk from Allbrands.

PS: The dealer and manufacturer want you to buy "their" brand. The various brands and types of home sewing/embroidery needles are the same length. If in doubt, measure for yourself.

-- Edited on Today at 9:52 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 7/17/14 10:26 AM

You've got that right. Dealers try to push what ever brand of needles or thread they stock.
They tell you that they are better than other brands, which may or may not be true.
Don't take everything they say as "gospel". Remember their purpose of being in business is to make money.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 3:58 PM

I use Organ as well and buy them from allstitch.com. But I have a Babylock. Having said that, and in light of the comment from the member whose machine wound up in the shop -- these machines are very precisely tuned. I have found that I have to use Babylock's expensive bobbin thread (Finishing Touch -- at least I did find a better price for them on Ebay). I've tried several other brands of bobbin thread and they all come out terrible. I would say experiment with some other needles, but don't buy them in bulk until you feel comfortable they will work OK.

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 5:01 PM

I also use brother bobbin thread, but if brother and babylock are essentially the same, the bobbin thread should be interchangeable. I'll also use prewounds.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Embroidery machine needles

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Japanese Pattern Books Shape Shape: wave skirt

photo
by: mm

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.