SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Interfacing for totes/handbags ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Interfacing for totes/handbags
Have you tried sew-in canvas?
GardenGal7
GardenGal7
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/13/14
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 10:44 AM

Wondering your thoughts on interfacing for handbags or totes.

So far I've tried various interfacings; Thermolam, Fusible Fleece, Peltex, Décor Bond, Featherweight. I do like them, but I'm not 100% satisfied. I've noticed that the décor bond (or was it shape flex?) looked great on my exterior fabric after application. Then I turned the fabric a few times to adjust and sew the liner, and now you can see on the exterior fabric that the interfacing has creases or memory folds where I manipulated the fabric for turning (several times).

I've seen other products advertised with sturdy canvas used as the interfacing for stability rather than a fusible. I prefer sturdy handbags rather than floppy.

Wondering if anyone has tried this, and if so, were you happy with the results and would you recommend this as an alternative to fusible interfacing for totes/handbags?

------
Janome 6300

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/16/14 3:34 PM

What do they mean by "sturdy canvas?" I regularly use canvas--I dunno, 7-10 oz?--as the supportive flatlining for historical gown bodices (sometimes with boning, sometimes without), and it will crease with time/wear. I also used a couple layers in a backpack, and was thoroughly unhappy with the overall floppiness of the bag. (Granted, it was canvas with a lining of quilting cotton that had been interfaced with a lightweight fusible, so there wasn't a ton of support inherent there... but if I were to make it again, I would choose something MUCH stiffer as the fashion fabric, and a more rigid/supportive flatlining.)

------
~Gem in the prairie

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/16/14 4:58 PM

Have you tried Soft and Stable? I've used it in bags without creasing. It might give more of a cushiony feel than you prefer, but I thought I'd mention it.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/16/14 5:08 PM

Have you considered Soft and Stable? It's a really interesting product. It provides shape and stability, but does not crease and wrinkle. It's a polyester foam product that you can use to replace interfacing and batting in bags. You can quilt through it or not, as you decide. I've tried it and it provides great shape and stability, very light, no ironing to fuse it, and you can wash it.

By Annie's Soft and Stable product videos

CMC
ETA: dmh1, we're on the same Soft and Stable wavelength.
-- Edited on Today at 5:08 PM --

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 7:07 PM

i've used duck cloth on a couple of bags. i wouldn't recommend it for every project, but it can be a good alternative. i tend to use soft and stable for most of my bags. if a pattern calls for home dec weight fabric, you can usually get by with doing a quilting cotton and fusing 1-2 layers of pellon SF101 (shape flex) to give it more body.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 7:46 PM

Have you done a final press of the bag after all that turning? usually that will get rid of folds and creases created during the making process.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 7:52 PM

If you want lots of tips to do with interfacing bags, you should check out Nicole Mallalieu of "You Sew Girl"s blog posts:

Troubleshooting interfacing

Combinging Interfacing for bag making

Interfacing hints

Interfacing woes

Comparing Vilene and Pellon

Grandmomof7boys
Grandmomof7boys  Friend of PR
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 8:30 AM

I've just discovered Soft and Stable and was very pleased with the results. I was able to quilt it between 2 pieces of cotton fabric without using a walking foot. I used a jeans needle and decreased the pressure on the presser foot. There were no permanent creases after rolling the fabric to fit into my sewing machine's harp. However, if you want a very stiff tote bag, that stands up on its own, Soft and Stable might not be what you're looking for.
I will definitely use this product again.

GardenGal7
GardenGal7
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/13/14
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 7/17/14 3:16 PM

I'm assuming they mean a heavier weight canvas. I used duck cloth (or was it a lightweight canvas, I don't remember) on a décor weight beach bag and though it added structure it was still floppy. I wonder if a heavier weight canvas would make a difference. Maybe I'll have to try it out and see if I like the results.

------
Janome 6300

GardenGal7
GardenGal7
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/13/14
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<

Date: 7/17/14 3:21 PM

I'll see if I can find this locally. Since I began sewing I'm always interested in how bags are constructed. My MIL has a beach bag that holds it's shape but has an interfacing that might just be this product. I'll check it out.

------
Janome 6300

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Interfacing for totes/handbags

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

More Info
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

More Info
Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2012-2

photo
by: Yakityak

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.