SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Creative Sewing > Half Chaps ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Half Chaps
What is the stretch material used in the nicer ones
christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 7/16/14 8:38 PM

I want to make my daughter some blue leather half chaps for her riding classes. I have the Suitability pattern, but I don't care to use the velcro straps. I would rather draft a pattern which follows the shape of her leg (inside her boots and pants) and uses a zipper closure on the outside of her leg like the higher end ones. However, on the professional ones that I've looked at, there is a mystery stretch material on the calf that is covered in thin leather strips. I'm not sure if it's a wide elastic, or maybe power net, or possibly lycra. Does anyone know what that stuff is?Any help would be appreciated!

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 7/16/14 8:46 PM

Do you have a link or photo of the "professional" ones you have seen? I'd be able to make a better guess at the fabric if I could see them.

I know I did chaps a few years ago for the waitresses at a biker bar (don't ask) and I used pleather with straps, buckles, and full length zippers.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
59.0 yards sewn (as of 09/17/14)
133.875 yards purchased (as of 09/17/14)

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 7/16/14 10:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I've read a little more and the descriptions say that the panel is 'stretch leather.' By any chance do you know if there are there vendors that carry this (in colors)? Is there a comparable substitute that can use to get the color I want? I'm planning on making them bright aqua blue.

The material in question is on the picture having 4 views, the first and last view show what I'm referring to. It is the duller looking material on the left side of the calf. Here are 2 links:
Covington Half Chap
Monico Half Chap

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 7/17/14 0:45 AM

My usual haunts for pleather are Spandex House, Spandex World and Stretch House. I did a quick look and while they all have some colours available, I didn't see any aqua blue.

There is another leather look fabric with stretch -- liquid metal is available through Suzie Spandex in Montreal (they have a turquoise blue in their current samples.

I take it you have your aqua blue leather already for the chaps -- if all else fails in matching pleather/liquid metal, you could always use a shiny nylon spandex in a co-ordinating colour for the area on the left side of the calf as well as over the instep.

Good luck in your search.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
59.0 yards sewn (as of 09/17/14)
133.875 yards purchased (as of 09/17/14)

jacqui583
jacqui583
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 11/25/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/17/14 9:07 AM

I have nothing useful to add to this conversation but it looks like a very interesting project and I'd love to see pics when it's done

------
Jacqui

Phoebe (Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0)
Jenny (Janome Coverpro 1000cpx)
Sergio (Brother 1034D)
Betty (White 1505)

Jupiter, FL

Jupiter, FL
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 9:51 AM

Ditto what Jacqui said -- Good Luck!

------
Haymarket VA

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 7/17/14 11:56 AM

Thank you for your help. I will look into these.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 7/17/14 12:14 PM

My Ariat half chaps (my only real leather ones) seems to have the leather sewn over nearly invisible gussets of really thick elastic. And it'a not like the calf gussets on my cheaper half chaps. The Ariats have a thin line of it that goes for the entire length (heel to top).

If you have (or have seen) Ariat paddock boots, they have an elastic panel just below the ankle. Very thick, not a lot of stretch (or at least, it takes a lot of force to stretch it!), and seems to be similar to a double knit - brown on one side, black on the other. I'm pretty sure the stuff in the half chaps is similar.

Another idea - do you have a boot maker/shoe repair shop near by? When I was shopping for tall boots, every pair was too tall and too narrow (I have wide calves), but several other riders said "Oh just take them to a shoe repair shop and have them insert a zipper and gusset." So maybe you could ask them what they use for gussets on tall boots?

Wendy Hahn
star
Wendy Hahn  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
New Mexico USA
Member since 5/22/07
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 7/17/14 12:17 PM

I'll be interested to see what you find to work. My DH needs XT/XlL half chaps. Ariat no longer makes them. He keeps repairing the underfoot strap, but will eventually need to replace them. He has even replaced the zippers. I have the Suitability patterns and fabric to make him breeches, just haven't got around to it.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 7/19/14 10:29 AM

Quote: christik

I've read a little more and the descriptions say that the panel is 'stretch leather.' By any chance do you know if there are there vendors that carry this (in colors)? Is there a comparable substitute that can use to get the color I want?

Could this be what we sewers know as "pleather"?
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Half Chaps

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2011-120

photo
by: DaisyA

Review
Lila Tueller Designs No. 27

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Victory Nicola Paper Pattern

Victory Nicola Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.