SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Which Sewing & Embroidery Machine is Best Under 4K ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Which Sewing & Embroidery Machine is Best Under 4K
Apinklady
Apinklady
Member since 6/28/14
Send Message

Date: 7/19/14 12:11 PM

I am looking for a sewing & embroidery machine under $4k. I am new to machine emboidery. I am attracted to the Brother 2800d (like the Disney). Can I get more/better machine for around $4,000? I have seen some on Ebay but afraid to purchase from an unknown source. Also, think it may be best to purchase from dealer where I can take classes and get support. The dealer is quoting an add'l $750 for a 3 year maint agreement. What software/extras might I be able to negotiate into the price to make it more attractive. Also, want to be able to sew heavy materials (sunbrella). Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/19/14 8:48 PM

I think you can do much better at a dealer. But as for the best machine? Take your sample fabrics to a dealer and do test drives on various machines. You'll know the right machine for you when you use it.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 7/19/14 10:14 PM

for sewing heavy duty fabric like sunbrella I use my sailrite. They are about $800. I wouldn't try it with my sewing/embroidery machine.

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 7/19/14 11:27 PM

If you are going to be consistently sewing sturdy fabrics like Sunbrella, you may want to invest in either a vintage straight stitcher, a semi-industrial(like a Janome 1600P, Brother PQ1500S or Juki TL2010Q) or find a used industrial machine. Actually, you can get a new industrial for the price of, or less than, the price of the models I just noted.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Apinklady <<

Date: 7/19/14 11:46 PM

Pfaff . I have the vision machine. It sews from heavy to
Very light fabric . I did it all with this machine .
If has great pericing power. There are other pfaff machines
Out there to . Like the 2.0 4.0 and the 5.0 newer one.
Check out some of there used ones to. At least you know
They were serviced.
You have some good advice here. take some c
Fabric and test out a few machine. But always stay with in
The amount you want to pay.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

Date: 7/20/14 10:53 AM

I don't care what anyone says, there is NO way I'd use my expensive Brother combo machine to sew fabrics like Sunbrella. I would definitely invest in an industrial machine for that.

That said, I had the Brother 2500D (the precursor to the 2800D) and I loved it, but I got stupid and sold it. I've regretted it ever since. Since Brother is getting ready to bring out new machines, there are some pretty good deals on the 2800D at dealers, so I would definitely look in to those. And if you are fortunate enough to have a dealer who sells used machines (they are few and far between where I am; the dealers encourage people to sell their old machines on CL), you might find a 2500D or 2800D used for a great price. I've seen the 2500D go for about $2k in my area, which would leave you with enough money to buy the industrial machine as well. :-)

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Singer 500A
White Serger (I can never remember the model, but it's older)
Dreaming of a Babylock Enlighten!

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/20/14 11:41 AM

Brother is a good selection. But I am not sure I would used a computerized EM/SM combo for doing a lot of outdoor fabrics. I used a vintage Singer for my outdoor projects.

I would also pass on the extended warranty. Look at the Brother warranty and compare to what the dealer is offering. Does it run concurrent with the Brother warranty or after the Brother warranty has expired? Will any of the projects you are planning invalidate the warranty? You can read the Brother warranty at their website.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Apinklady <<

Date: 7/21/14 1:38 PM

I do actually think the best best one, would just be any of them, that no one prior, had even been sewing a bunch of sunbrella or marine vinyl with actually. I don't think it would hurt anything at all, to just stick a piece of any of those things on sticky paper in a hoop, and just sew out a monogram onto them or such occasional at all, as long as if a lot of that in just the size of the piece of it, was also supported in your hands at the same time, so not pulling down or dragging on the hoop or machine while that was happening.

But if I wanted a used machine, I would just pass it it by, and not even buy one, if I thought anyone had been sewing though, either or both of those things too much. So I think just kind of a very unwise and bad combination for the kind of tool it would be.

If you want to do that, maybe have 2 separate machines instead, each one just sort of made for what it is supposed to to instead, and use each one for that alone.

Apinklady
Apinklady
Member since 6/28/14
Send Message

Date: 7/21/14 9:28 PM

Thank you all for your responses. The "sunbrella" project is not something I would use the machine regularly for and after all of the input, decided I will keep my 25year old Singer for such projects. I hope to decide between the Brother 2800d, Laura Ashley 5000, or Viking Ruby Deluxe (any opinions on these 3?-Going to try them out on Saturday). They are all around 4K. The dealer agreed to extend the "maintenance agreement" for 3 years at no additional cost. Is there a way to get the Disney designs for embroidery without buying a Brother disney machine?

Skratchie
star
Skratchie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/29/13
Send Message

In reply to Apinklady <<

Date: 7/21/14 9:48 PM

I am a huge Brother groupie so I suggest those.

You have to have a Brother machine for the Disney designs, but it doesn't have to be a Disney machine. Check out ibroidery.com to see the offerings.

------
Brother PC-8500
Janome 8900
Brother DreamCreator VM5100
Singer 500A
White Serger (I can never remember the model, but it's older)
Dreaming of a Babylock Enlighten!

My blog - http://texansun.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Which Sewing & Embroidery Machine is Best Under 4K

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Classic Chinos

photo
by: guineveres...

Review
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Buy Now
Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.