SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Lame fabric? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lame fabric?
Idk what this fabric is or how to hem it!
theVeganHippie
theVeganHippie
Beginner
Member since 7/22/14
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 4:02 PM

Hi. I am new to sewing and just found this forum. I am teaching myself to sew so I don't know what I'm doing. Anyways I am making my daughter a sleeveless knee length summer version of an Elsa dress & she found this fabric (it was in the remnants at walmart) and loved it. So I decided to use to to make the cape of the dress. I have no idea what it is but after awhile of looking online I think it is lame. It is sheer and I don't want to put a lining under it if I don't have to because It would look so much better without it.
I'm posting some pictures of it so maybe you can tell me what it is? It unravels sooo easy & the metallic threads look like a tiny plastic ribbon.
Any ideas on how I can hem it?
I planned to use ric rac around the edges but idk if i Can do that either.

Thanks!
-- Edited on Today at 4:05 PM --

theVeganHippie
theVeganHippie
Beginner
Member since 7/22/14
Send Message

In reply to theVeganHippie <<

Date: 7/22/14 4:05 PM

I don't know if my pictures are coming up. let me know if you can't see them

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 4:12 PM

Quote: theVeganHippie

photo fabric_zps42d454d5.jpg
 photo fabric2_zps293a4b20.jpg

Welcome to PR! FYI for posting pictures, we use the HTML codes, rather than the typical"forum" BBcode. :D

I've used that stuff before for a costume! I actually used fray check all along the edges of the fabric rather than hemming it...heee. Although that can be scratchy if it is touching her skin along her arms. I imagine you could use fray check and then a regular double folded hem though. Another alternative would be to use a zig-zag all the way around the edges (helps stop fraying) and then apply rickrack over the zig-zag stitch.
-- Edited on Today at 4:14 PM --

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 61 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 6:56 PM

Hi and welcome. Ohh lame. That stuff is a fraying mess. I use to sew my color guard flags way back when in this fabric. I second the suggestion to do a baby hem. I usually fold over a small hem twice and topstitch. Good luck.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 7:18 PM

You have my sympathies. Lame is a bear to sew. I learned how to sew by sewing lots and lots of tissue lame. If you can manage that lame than most fabrics you tackle afterwards will be a piece of cake. It will fray if you look at it cross-eyed.

All I can tell you is keep trying and don't feel badly if you curse like a truck driver as you sew. if this is a costume...however you get it done is fine. the sewing police are not going to knock on your door in the middle of the night and take you away if you figure out a method to deal with this fabric that isn't in the books.

If i were making something for a little girl out of this i would serge the edge and then turn it twice. you may want to try a wide zig zag with one zig on and one zig off. It can fake a teeny clean hem..if it works but looks a bit skimpy...do it twice.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

theVeganHippie
theVeganHippie
Beginner
Member since 7/22/14
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 7/22/14 7:33 PM

ok thanks! i actually have fray check. and everyone is making me feel lots better knowing that I'm not the only one having trouble with this fabric!

theVeganHippie
theVeganHippie
Beginner
Member since 7/22/14
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 7:36 PM

is there a way to iron it? its so slippery that when I was trying to fold it over twice for a hem it kept unfolding... I ironed a test piece but it was melting it (even on low heat). but maybe the fray check will stiffen it to help with that problem?

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/22/14 9:55 PM

low heat, use parchment paper between the iron and the fabric...it may help.. The fabric is too slippy to do a twice folded hem easily...meaning with a chunk more sewing in your hands you might get the feel of how to do it.... try this...sew a line of stitching a presser foot away from the raw edge. fold on the stitched line and sew again..that's fold one..they you will be able to have enough grip to fold a second time. you may be able to do the double fold after just one line of stitching depending on your grip of the fabric.

don't beat yourself up...it's pesky fabric. cursing a blue streak sometimes helps.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 7/22/14 9:59 PM

Have you tried ironing it on low heat with a presser cloth in between? I believe that's how I pressed it--I made a big big bow out of it, and I pressed it with muslin over the fabric so the iron never touched it. If that doesn't work, try a billion pins plus hand basting it in place before stitching it by machine. Pain in the butt, I know, but... :/

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 61 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 3:31 AM

I've sewn forty-eleven yards of lame over the years- didn't have a wide range of choices for metallic fabric for belly dance costumes in the seventies. Some are worse than others. For the truly awful, I use a line of fray check, then stitch as Sarah suggests above: a line of stitching for a fold line, then a double fold hem to hide the raw edge. I have a hip band with gold lame sashes that I've been using for at least two decades and the hems are still holding up despite serious stress on the fabric during dozens of performances.

If it is more awful than truly awful, stitch a narrow piece of bias tape in place when you stitch the fold line then old twice using the tape as a guide and to protect the edge.

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Lame fabric?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Vogue Patterns 1224

photo
by: jenleeC

Review
TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.