SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Save your scraps! ...is what they tell me. ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Save your scraps! ...is what they tell me.
Fabric and interfacing
GardenGal7
GardenGal7
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/13/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/23/14 2:00 PM

I often read on blogs and tutorials to 'save your scraps!'. Even little strips. I understand the purpose of saving fabric scraps, and even came across a really neat bag that was constructed almost entirely with selvedges sewn together. How cool is that??? Now I save all my selvedges too.

I'm always throwing scraps of fabric and jnterfacing in a bin, but I guess my question is - what am I going to use these small strips of interfacing for? Do you save everything, or do you throw the smaller scraps away? I don't keep the tiny bits but little strips I do. Mostly because that's what I was told (I'd never have thought of constructing the 'selvedge bag' for example). Forgive if this is a silly question, but what am I going to use this for, eventually?

------
Janome 6300

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 2:06 PM

You can use little strips of interfacing to stabilize all sorts of stuff: shoulder seams in knit tops (instead of clear elastic), hems, seam allowances that you're finishing, casings, etc. Also, you can piece interfacing, so if you end up with a small corner of a pattern piece that's missing just a teeny bit of interfacing, you can slap down one of your little scraps.

My rule for fabric scraps is this: I save them until I am no longer emotionally invested in them (until I no longer would feel guilty throwing them away). Then I toss them. Works for me!

------
~Gem in the prairie

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 2:50 PM

Saving scraps is good in theory. But saving them for the sake of saving them is no good. If you're not going to use them (or donate them) then it's really a waste of space. I was also taught to save my scraps and then before I knew it I had a garbage bag full of scraps. No bueno! I became a lot more selective about the scraps I save. I recently took my bag of scraps to my sewing students and they used a good deal of them to make tissue cozies. Google "scrap busting sewing projects" and see if anything strikes your fancy. There's probably a thread or three on here also. Just be selective about what you save. If you don't think the piece is big enough to make anything with then toss it. But I think you will find lots of great gift-giving ideas if you search for projects. I also recently saw a project where they used fabric scraps to stuff an ottoman. That was neat. My husband enjoys getting pocket hankies from my scraps. All I need is a 12-13 inch square. So it really just depends on your intentions.

Now I save almost every single piece of interfacing. I always need just a tiny piece here and there to interface a button placement or a magnetic snap, etc.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 2:53 PM

Strips of interfacing are great for the edges of a zipper opening -- depending on the zipper technique strips of 3/8" to 5/8" work great to stabilize those edges.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 3:38 PM

I save interfacing more than fabric scraps. I simply don't have the emotional fortitude or the space to handle all the scraps that I make. So I toss my scraps and move on with life because I don't have time for that. xD

As for interfacing, once it gets to be smaller than something like 2"x1" or is in a particularly strange shape (long, skinny triangles come to mind) I'll toss it for the above mentioned reason. :3 It's taken me years to get to this point, but I truly just cannot take the chaos that comes with saving scraps for no particular reason.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

denise60s
denise60s
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/13
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 8:24 PM

Well, I guess it depends on if you think you will ever do any quilting. Crazy quilts can be a great way to scrap bust.

------
SM's: Nina 450 Aurora, Singers: 66 w/ back clamping feet, 15-91, 221, 500A Rocketeer, Touch Tronic 2000.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to GardenGal7 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 9:25 PM

I only save scraps if they are very beautiful or if I suspect I might need them to mend something I had destined for a long, useful life.

Of course, I myself have already lived (and sewn) a pretty long life, and if I had dutifully saved my scraps, our house would be buried, disappeared, gone!

Nah, my own feeling is that saving little bits for the sake of thriftiness leads to a mess at the very least.

sewbusy888
star
sewbusy888
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/10/14
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 10:01 PM

I'm in agreement with saving interfacing and "nice" fabric that can be re-used.

All the other scraps are bundled to local schools for crafting.

BirdyBooo
star
BirdyBooo
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 6/14/14
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 10:41 PM

I save the nicer fabric for scrap so I can make buttons from them later on and I save interfaces for the same reason everyone else save them.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/24/14 0:05 AM

When I cut out a garment I keep a couple 4x4 pieces with it for the purpose of testing techniques during garment construction. These come in handy with a sewing machine, serger, cover stitch and embroidery machine. Once garment construction is finished they get tossed. I do keep long strips of knit fabric cut into 2" strips in a drawer---perfect for straps or binding.

This past spring I refashioned a bunch of thirts and long sleeve shirts into tank tops. I kept the sleeves that were removed in a small basket. Right now I'm sewing the Fehr Trade lacey thong panties.

I have 1 small plastic drawer for stabilizer scraps for doing embroidery or buttonholes, at least 3" in size. The rest of the scraps get tossed as I go.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Save your scraps! ...is what they tell me.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 8757

photo
by: chenille

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 33015-1002

photo
by: FrenchColl...

Review
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.