SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Resources for a newbie ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Resources for a newbie
MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 2:45 PM

I have said 10,000 times that I am not interested in quilting and I kinda am not...but I have been looking at jelly roll race quilts and it seems like the perfect project for me; someone with low attention span.

I am almost done with orthodontic treatment and my ortho just had his first, a beautiful baby girl. Yes, I know I pay him but still

So I am thinking I want to make a jelly roll race quilt and have found the video and some blog links about it but after the quilt top is done; then what?

I keep seeing "...and then sandwich, quilt and bind!" but what, who, where?!?

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/23/14 3:35 PM

I'm still just barely dabbling in quilting, but I hope I can help.

Sandwich = layering the quilt top with batting and the fabric underneath. Sometimes you'll have to sew the fabric underneath together to get the right width/length. You'll want to pin these layers together at close, regular intervals so nothing shifts. The quilt I'm working on that was pieced/sandwiched was pinned about every 8ish inches in each direction. Bent safety pins (the kind you buy that way) are really good for this.

Quilting itself is the act of stitching all 3 layers together so they'll keep together and nothing shifts throughout the life of the quilt. This can be done by machine or by hand. Quilting can be done in a variety of patterns: FMQ is free motion quilting, where you create the pattern randomly as you sew (but you'll need the right machine setup to do this and plenty of practice because you don't use the feed dogs and will need to create the stitch length yourself); another option is quilting along the seam lines, or in a geometric pattern across the quilt, etc. The quilt I'm hand working for my grandmother is being done in large diamond shapes across the whole thing.

Binding = After quilting, you trim/true up the edges of the quilt. I think this is usually for the bottom layer and the quilt batting because the quilt top is theoretically already trued after construction. Then, the idea is the same thing as a bias binding on a neckline or something--you enclose the raw edges of the sandwich with fabric so nothing will unravel.

I hope this helps, especially coming from another quilting beginner! @.@

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 94.5 yards
Sewn: 73 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 7/23/14 4:13 PM

Very helpful Han!

I swear I somehow suck at Googling information. Really, really sad.

In your beginner opinion is this a month long project? 6 months??

(See, impatient)

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

gshalom
gshalom
Member since 9/7/13
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/23/14 4:30 PM

I'll jump in here too....I'm new at this having begun last September.....I made 6 quilts for Christmas gifts for my nieces and nephews and two tote bags for the nieces. I did the quilting all the way through cutting, piecing, sandwich and quilting. All the quilting was 'stitch in the ditch', i.e., sewing in the seams of where I pieced (all were geometric). It wasn't impossible but they aren't 'perfect'. Thankfully there aren't any quilt police (altho some folks seem to want that job! ;-) My friend who taught me in September told me if someone riding by on a horse couldn't notice the mistake(s), let it go. Perfection is not the goal; quilts made with love for someone is. Fortunately, I'm a guy and not OCD so the mistakes don't bother me. :-) And watching the kids use and enjoy them makes it all worthwhile. And, yes, unless it's a really complicated pattern, I would say you could do one in a month, perhaps even less depending on the size.
-- Edited on Today at 4:31 PM --

Denise L Perry
Denise L Perry  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Vermont USA
Member since 9/4/08
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<

Date: 7/24/14 5:49 AM

I never wanted to quilt. My husband's deceased first wife was a wonderful hand quilter and I never had any desire to compete with her. I retired two years ago and for some reason I became interested in free motion quilting and now it is all I want to do. I am self taught, or rather internet taught. There is a great resource in Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. She has made dozens of tutorials, mostly using pre-cuts--jelly rolls, charm packs, etc. She has a series of four video tutorials for making a baby quilt that should answer all your questions. Here is the first one:
Jenny Doan

This one is using charm packs, but the series goes through sandwiching and binding. She also has some on jelly roll quilts. I hope this helps. You may get hooked like I did! And it should be weeks, not months to finish, especially if you use precuts and do simple quilting. Enjoy!

maminstl
maminstl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 2/19/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/24/14 11:21 AM

The jelly roll race quilt, in my opinion of course, is a boring and tedious project. There are so many easy quilt patterns that are a lot more fun to do. Missouri Quilt as mentioned above has lots, as does modabakeshop.com. that being said, sandwiching and basic straight line quilting on a project like that can easily be done over a weekend. I highly recommend using a spray baste product to make sandwiching painless

------
maminstl

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 7/24/14 11:37 AM

I live in the south and there are people who will do the quilting and binding for you. Some are hand quilters (they used to charge very little because they did it in their "free" time) (???!!!!That's crazy!!) and some are store fronts set up with professional quilting machines. One shop near me is quite reasonable (or so I've been told).

Do people offer quilting services up north? If so, that may be a good option for you.

I don't want to quilt because based on observing my relatives, it consumes your home!

------
Mary

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 7/24/14 10:46 PM

Quilt piecing designs and the quilt stitching designs range from incredibly complex and amazing, to very simple and easy. You can do a simple and easy quilt project and produce a wonderful baby quilt. Go with simple and easy.

1. A baby quilt is small, it's something that you can do. It's a manageable project for a first-time quilter.

2. Pick some wonderful fabrics, and let the fabric prints "do the talking" in your quilt.

3. Pick a quilt piecing pattern that does not require super-duper accuracy. I like offset bricks or offset squares, for example:

Here's a free Amy Butler pattern (opens a PDF) for an offset brick quilt.

Offset squares also look nice.

Color organized offset brick quilt.

Random color layout offset brick quilt.

This is a pattern/layout that is very forgiving in terms of seam accuracy. There are NO seams to match. You do want to match the seams on the bricks to the middle of the brick "next door", but if you miss it by a bit, no problem.

4. For the quilting stitches, a simple diamond cross-hatch design, done all with straight stitching, is sufficient. The only special equipment you might need is a walking foot, if you don't already have one. Straight lines of quilting stitches will be just FINE. No free-motion quilting is required, if you don't want to tackle that new skill.

Here's Nancy Zeiman demonstrating a very easy straight-line diamond cross-hatch design.

5. In terms of making a quilt sandwich (backing, batting, quilt top), you can baste it with temporary water-soluble adhesive (505 basting spray video) OR, you can buy fusible quilt batting with water-soluble fusible adhesive, for example: Fusi-Boo video. My point being that you do NOT have to pin baste a quilt sandwich if you don't want to; you have options.

Enjoy,
CMC

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 7/24/14 11:00 PM

I agree with CM... she offers great advise and I too think the jelly roll quilt is kinda boring to make... here is a super easy baby quilt that I know you can make. From Elizabeth Hartman's Oh Fransson. Have fun.

And that cross hatch quilting would look super cute on it!!
-- Edited on Today at 11:02 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<

Date: 7/24/14 11:29 PM

Sounds like you need to visit Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilts!

The site has many free tutorials.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Resources for a newbie

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

New Look 6779

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Hudson Top & Pants Pattern

More Info
PerfectFuse Medium Black

PerfectFuse Medium Black

More Info
Vogue Patterns 1061

photo
by: shaleenyma...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.