SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Sewing from a small edge - question ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing from a small edge - question
elefantas
elefantas
Intermediate
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/26/14 2:07 PM

Is there a trick for sewing from the far upper right edge? I am going to try to explain this....

Imagine you need to sew with a tiny seem allowance starting from the very top of the fabric. Every time I try this my feed dogs can't grab the fabric, so I end up just sewing on the spot, the fabric is not pushed through. I always end up starting further down and then later coming back up to sew the top part. Is there a foot or a setting that allows me to do it from the top?

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 7/26/14 3:14 PM

The best technique I've used is to butt another piece of scrap fabric on the edge this way you start sewing on the scrap and it won't get sucked into the feed dogs.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 7/26/14 4:25 PM

All my machines are just a bit different on that, as to what I can get away with on each one and what fabric in it at the time, but most times it's better to not try to start sewing on the very first thread of some fabric under the pressure foot, and better to start sewing farther in instead, just since then more of the fabric is even held between the full bottom of the pressure foot and all or more of the length of feed dogs instead. So things do work better that way. Also just holding the two thread tails sticking out in your hand with some tension on them, when you start sewing.

If it's something like top stitching the point of a collar, then I do often even take a bit of thread in a hand needle and run it though the collar point first. Just since then when you stop and pivot at the collar point and only have fabric under half the pressure foot and over half the feed dogs, at least you got something to hold onto there.

The flatter the bottom of the pressure foot is, probably the better for that, it is too. But, if you got some universal foot on there, so you can also do zig zag and that foot has a channel cut out and grooved under it, so the zig zag if tight, does not catch and build up under it, then it's probably not gripping things as well as some foot that was perfectly flat instead, and did not have any cut out channel at all under it, instead.

Also maybe the closer your needle was to the cut out of a stitch plate the better the fabric supported just right there. So sometimes center needle position might be worse for that than some side one.

-- Edited on Today at 4:30 PM --

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/26/14 9:53 PM

I do like Nakisha does. It also helps if you have a presser foot that won't do zigzags and therefore has a slimmer "hole". In other words there is little space between the legs of the presser foot. You can also stitch putting a piece of thin paper or stabilizer under the fabric for the first inch or so as well as beyond the fabric. This way you start sewing on paper, move on to the fabric and are now good to go. When you move on to the fabric it will actually have the paper underneath the fabric. When all is stitched just pull off the paper.

Always make sure you hold and sort of pull those threads toward the back of the machine when you start a new seam.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

elefantas
elefantas
Intermediate
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/26/14 10:36 PM

That is so clever!
thank you

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to elefantas <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/27/14 9:50 AM

Whenever I do a skinny edgestitch I put tissue paper under my fabric so that it extends about an inch to the right beyond the fabric edge. This makes it possible for the right feeddog to grab it.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to elefantas <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/27/14 11:33 PM

You will need two scraps of fabric; one as a starter for the top edge and one next to the right edge of the fabric so the feed dogs and presser foot can work together.

Test first with yet another scrap of fabric.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

elefantas
elefantas
Intermediate
Member since 7/1/14
Send Message

Date: 7/28/14 7:31 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 7/30/14 1:48 AM

I use tiny scraps of washaway stabilizer when this is happening (usually with thin or sheer knits). I use washaway stabilizer a lot so I just cut strips of it for this purpose. I usually leave the stabilizer all over the garment then gently rinse it out later. My seams always look great and I can even backstitch on those small "edges" you are talking about.

Good luck!
-- Edited on Today at 1:49 AM --

tigergirl
star
tigergirl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Queensland Australia
Member since 11/30/09
Send Message

Date: 7/30/14 8:17 AM

Sometimes I'll start an inch or less in, go forward a stitch or two, reverse back to the edge (covering the inch you didn't sew to start with) and then carry on forward. Not always a good option though, depends on what you're doing.

------
Brother BM-2600
Janome 693
Lumina Overlocker (Serger)
http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Sewing from a small edge - question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2012-110

photo
by: cabinbaby

Review
McCall's

photo
by: NEST

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

More Info
Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.