SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Please Help Me Choose a Fabric for Simplicity 2594 ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Please Help Me Choose a Fabric for Simplicity 2594
Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

Date: 7/30/14 9:58 PM

This pattern comes with quite a few fabric suggestions, but I'd like to stick with the first one: 'laundered cottons'. You'd think that one would be easy for me, but I can't find anything other than quilting cotton or actual muslin that fits that description at my local store. I'm an extreme beginner and I've been having a hard time finding something that is easy to sew but is also affordable and is something I'll actually wear out of the house.
I'm really trying to stay away from prints or any fabrics with rumpliness built in, like seersucker, just to give myself a break. I have made a few tops from the quilting 'broadcloth' section at my local store and the drape was bad and rough for the projects I chose and so I tossed them. They worked as muslins but I'm really hoping to get a couple of things made I can wear out.
Solid, washable, thick enough that I don't need a tank underneath and not quilting cotton are my requirements.
I've been looking at shirting fabric on fabric.com and moodfabrics.com but they are kind of expensive. Would poplin be a good choice?
Also, would Kona or Wendover be a substantially different top experience than the standard quilting cotton it's next to in the store?
 photo Simplicity2594_zps35afae98.jpg'/>
-- Edited on Today at 10:04 PM --

Arlene1995
Arlene1995  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Victoria Australia
Member since 9/11/12
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/30/14 10:33 PM

Hi Ubik

Any woven soft fabric would be nice. The pattern also suggests Voile, Lightweight Linen and crepe backed satin (or satin backed crepe depending on which side you use). I think Rayon would also be a good choice.

Quilting cottons are not all the same - some are lovely and soft and drapey, I have some that are like this for dress making but it all comes down to feel, so ordering online can be difficult.

Did you pre wash your quilting cotton ? The sizing (chemical) they finish some quilting cotton with can make it quite stiff.

I hope this helps - it is a really nice top.

Tanya

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/31/14 0:50 AM

Rayon challis would be my choice. I love the stuff: easy to sew, easy to care for, nice hand. Just be sure and preshrink it thoroughly.

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to Arlene1995 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/31/14 0:58 AM

I did prewash, but only with cold water and Seventh Generation detergent followed up with white vinegar. I can't get hot water in my washing machine right now for some obscure reason that DH is "working on".
I did run one load of through with Surf detergent also, but the extra chemicals didn't seem to help.
I try to really dry my cottons to death in the dryer to shrink them up a bit. This seems to work for everything but the quilting cotton I get at Hancock Fabrics.

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to BriarRose <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/31/14 1:03 AM

"Rayon challis would be my choice. I love the stuff: easy to sew, easy to care for, nice hand. Just be sure and preshrink it thoroughly."

I like it too, but I discolored it once with my iron and now I'm kind of scared of it. It's either water marks from the intermittent dripping (I know- I need a new iron) or a lightening of the color in random places that I can't explain.
So it's always sort of wrinkly when I work with it. I know, I know, I'm a sewing klutz.

tigergirl
star
tigergirl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Queensland Australia
Member since 11/30/09
Send Message

Date: 7/31/14 1:51 AM

what about lawn? I actually have this pattern in one of my European sewing mags but haven't made it up

------
Brother BM-2600
Janome 693
Lumina Overlocker (Serger)
http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/

Arlene1995
Arlene1995  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Victoria Australia
Member since 9/11/12
Send Message

Date: 7/31/14 2:24 AM

Tigergirl - ooh yes, I bought some gorgeous Japanese lawn the other day - I was glad I had a coupon, it was not cheap.

Tanya

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to tigergirl <<

Date: 7/31/14 3:22 AM

Would this one work? If it's like the cotton lawn shirts I've gotten in RTW, then it has a kind of linen-like drape but is sheer. Would I need to line it? I could just cut two of a piece, sew them together inside the SA and then treat them like one, right? Oof, I don't even know how to do that yet. I can see myself making a mess. Oh, and I would have to buy double yardage!
Anyway, thanks everyone for talking this out with me. I wish buying the right fabric for a project came a little easier to me.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<

Date: 7/31/14 6:24 AM

That lawn in a deeper color probably would be opaque enough.

As to your initial post, poplin is typically heavier than the pattern needs and does not have the drape you want for this top.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

sewtimetraveler
sewtimetraveler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 7/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/31/14 9:54 AM

For cotton choices, take a look at Fabric Finders.com - http://www.fabricfindersinc.com/.
They carry wonderful fine cotton fabrics , minimum wrinkling when washed, usually 54-60" wide, a little $$, but worth it! Might have to look for a solid that suits you, as most of their fabrics are print. If you're thinking of making the drape neck version, a rayon challis is perfect. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Please Help Me Choose a Fabric for Simplicity 2594

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Simplicity 4745

photo
by: JTink

Review
McCall's 6460

photo
by: Sewlful

Review
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.