SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > the dreaded pucker ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
the dreaded pucker
iron-on stabilizer? titanium needles?
allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 8/5/14 3:52 PM

I embroider a lot of t-shirts and knit shirts and it seems like I still always get a small pucker. Like this:

I iron with Mary Ellen's Best press before. I've tried stretching the fabric really tight under the hoop and trying to just lay it flat without stretching it. I always use cutaway stabilizer and have tried adding a lawyer of washaway on the top or on the bottom. I've tried using a basting stitch. I've tried tightening the hoop with a screwdriver. I usually use a 75/11 ST needle. I don't use dense designs on T or knit shirts. The rest of the design stitched out beautifully. The imperfection is small enough that probably no one but me notices it, but it bugs me.

Would iron-on stabilizer be better? If yes, is there a brand that anybody likes? What about titanium needles? Anything else?

Thanks

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 8/5/14 3:53 PM

trying the photo link again

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/5/14 11:28 PM

I would not use anything on the fabric when pressing and then let the item relax, just in case the pressing stretched the knit.

Try, with an old or test shirt, hooping just the shirt. Before you start the stitching, slide a piece of the cutaway under the hoop.

You may also need to use a sharp needle instead of a ballpoint as the BP may not be cleanly piercing the stabilizer.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 8/5/14 11:33 PM

Could your pic be set to private? I see that word under Properties as well as an "https" at the beginning.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 8/6/14 0:12 AM

I can't see your picture but I know what you are referring to. Floriani has a stabilizer called no show mesh fusible, light weight cut away that irons to the back of the shirt. This prevents any movement of the knit fabric, works especially well for light knit fabric. Sulky has a stabilizer called tender touch, they use this on clothing embroidered for babies. Again it comes as an iron on and doesn't change the feel of the knit. They use this in addition to a tear away under the design and iron a second piece of tender touch to cover the embroidery to leave a nice soft inside.

When I embroider t-shirts I use the iron on cutaway and hoop the garment so it's smooth but never pull the corners to make it drum tight. For fabric with a texture I use sulky wash away on top. Titanium needles are nice for heavy fabric and dense designs but not needed for t-shirts.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
Austria
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 8/6/14 2:36 AM

Link to image
-- Edited on Today at 2:36 AM --

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/6/14 4:14 AM

have you stitched the design out on a woven just to check its not the design? I only say because its just at the points where the stitching from both sides comes together.

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

In reply to arianamaniacs <<

Date: 8/6/14 7:36 AM

Thank you, I'm not sure why I couldn't get that to work!

------

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/6/14 7:52 AM

Use fusible stabilizer and a ballpoint 75/11.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro traded for Brother PR1000!, Bernina 930, Bernina 1130, White 634DE gave away to a friend,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 8/6/14 4:28 PM

Are you using a water soluble topper stabilizer, too?

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> the dreaded pucker

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Wiksten Tova

photo
by: phthooey

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Contest Pantone Color Contest

photo
by: nosila

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.