SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > which steam-iron should I buy? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
which steam-iron should I buy?
gravity feed? Rowenta? $100 budget
kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 8/11/14 12:57 PM

I am ready to upgrade my steam iron. I mostly sew garments and I am tired of getting burns from my current iron. I buy irons from the thrift store for $3, the heaviest ones we can find. They work well enough for my purposes - except for like splutters and burns in this last case - but I am ready for something awesome!

Auto-off feature, I don't really care. My current iron doesn't automatically turn off or beep, so I like that.

I am confused reading all the reviews on Amazon so I'm hoping some people here will steer me in the right direction!

Thank you!

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 8/11/14 1:07 PM

I am looking at these two:

a Rowenta -

and this gravity feed iron.

Let me know if I'm way off base!

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/14 2:12 PM

I love the Hot Steam SGB-600 gravity feed iron from Wawak. If you watch it, the price will dip down to ~$80-90. I've had this one for almost a year and absolutely love it. It's heavy enough to give a good press and produces tons of steam if needed, and I love that it won't turn itself off (though for some that might be a safety issue). I use an IV pole I bought from Amazon to hold the water tank.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<

Date: 8/12/14 1:05 AM

What a good idea! Never thought of an iv pole to hold the water. I bought a super duper iron at a quilt show that will take a gallon of water in a plastic container. Needed to hang it some how. It's been in the box over a year.

Now I'll just look for that pole and I'll be finished with the blipping :devil:
Rowenta that sputters, spits and dribbles.

Thank you!

minasmom
minasmom  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/08
Send Message

In reply to kellyhogaboom <<

Date: 8/12/14 1:59 AM

I also have and recommend the Hot Steam from Wawak with an IV pole purchased separately online. I've had several irons and this beats all by price and performance.

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to sewdoggie22 <<

Date: 8/12/14 9:11 AM

Quote: sewdoggie22
What a good idea! Never thought of an iv pole to hold the water. I bought a super duper iron at a quilt show that will take a gallon of water in a plastic container. Needed to hang it some how. It's been in the box over a year.

Now I'll just look for that pole and I'll be finished with the blipping :devil:

Rowenta that sputters, spits and dribbles.

Thank you!

And you'll get to enjoy your fancy new iron! Glad this was helpful

------
Michelle

Andsewforth
Andsewforth  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/6/06
Send Message

Date: 8/12/14 10:43 AM

I too have the Hot Steam with the IV pole. I got the iron based on reviews/comments on PR & I just love it. I'm a garment sewer also & I got tired of irons that leaked especially the Rowenta.

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/12/14 2:43 PM

I have no experience with a gravity feed system. I've had Rowentas - mine seem to last longer than other peoples - may be because I always empty it when done, even if I am going to use it later in the day. Or may be my particular city water. But mine finally did die, and I bought a Reliable V50.

I've only had it 6 weeks or so, but I really like it. Easy to control exactly when you want steam -it does a great job on linen, and no shine like former irons. Reviews on Amazon complain about bumping the temp button at the top of the handle and inadvertently changing the temperature. This has happened to me, but I am not sure I am 'bumping' it. It is where the Rowentas have the spray/steam burst button and I think my hand is remembering that and hitting the button trying to get steam before I realize that button is now on the side. I don't place my hand near that (except to get more steam!)

But I do like the iron and think it does a nice job.

Nonette
star
Nonette
Advanced
Member since 3/11/09
online now
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<

Date: 8/13/14 4:05 AM

I just bought a gravity iron. How often do you have to change the demineralizer?

Thanks.

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

In reply to Nonette <<

Date: 8/13/14 9:05 AM

Quote: Nonette
I just bought a gravity iron. How often do you have to change the demineralizer?

Thanks.

The resin for mine starts out blue and will turn mostly brown when you need to change it. I haven't had to change mine yet and I've refilled the tank probably a 8-10 times. That may vary with what's in your tap water, though. Hope you enjoy your iron!

------
Michelle

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> which steam-iron should I buy?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

PR Member's Pattern 15926-1018

photo
by: craftsanct...

Review
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt Pattern

J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Lekala Patterns 4042

photo
by: nancy2001

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.