SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Hemming a skirt with a vent and lining ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hemming a skirt with a vent and lining
hemming, petites, skirts
cristina mary
cristina mary
Member since 2/12/11
Send Message

Date: 8/16/14 5:16 PM

Hello fellow petite ladies!

I just bought an adorable pencil skirt from Target for $24.99 - great price, but it is too long! It is lined and has a vent. I need to take about 3 inches off of it which would leave only an inch left of the vent, so it would need to be extended.

Anyone have any website, links, or suggestions on how to hem a skirt with a vent? I am a beginner/intermediate sewer - can follow a pattern really well - but slightly complicated tailoring techniques like this have me flustered.

Any help would be so welcome!

Cristina

Woolygal

Woolygal  Friend of PR
Member since 6/30/08
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 8:55 AM

Is it possible to shorten it from the waist?

jacqui583
jacqui583
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 11/25/13
Send Message

In reply to Woolygal <<

Date: 8/17/14 9:08 AM

My concern with shortening it from the waist would be that the vent would be raised 3" which could end up with too much "exposure".

------
Jacqui

Phoebe (Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0)
Jenny (Janome Coverpro 1000cpx)
Sergio (Brother 1034D)
Betty (White 1505)

BirdyBooo
star
BirdyBooo
Beginner
Victoria Australia
Member since 6/14/14
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 10:49 AM

Would it be comfortable without the vent? Just sew it up all together?

cristina mary
cristina mary
Member since 2/12/11
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 1:51 PM

Shorten from the waste - interesting!!! Never thought of that. I'm not sure how to do that when there is a waste band and a zipper (probably can't be done under those circumstances, huh?).

Extending the vent will be fine because the skirt is way too long for me now - past my knees.

I'm just wondering if I can let out the vent a little and finish it in a nice way. I'd like to keep the vent because otherwise I think it will be uncomfortable for moving. We're not talking too short here - maybe just above the knees.

AtiyaAfi
AtiyaAfi
New York USA
Member since 5/23/10
online now
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 4:59 PM

This link to West Valley College is excellent for sewing a skirt with a vent a lining. Itís like youíre in class getting a full demo on how to put the skirt together. Excellent IMHO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF8WfPoqMZ8

Also: I donít think I would attempt to alter from the waist as youíd be changing the fit of the garment in that area. I would cut off the length to your desire, elongate the back seam and follow the guidance from the video. I donít think you will go wrong. Again, an excellent demo and thorough.

-- Edited on Today at 5:01 PM --

cristina mary
cristina mary
Member since 2/12/11
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 6:31 PM

Hello all! So, interesting follow-up to add to the conversation. I called my mother, wise woman that she is, to ask her opinion. She said "Well you probably don't want to extend the vent because there might not be any fabric to make the facing once you rip out the seam." And she was right! The folded over fabric used for the back of the vent STOPS at the seam, so if you were to try to make it longer, you'd run into there being no fabric to face it - does that make sense?

So....just going to hem it and have a 3 inch vent and see if it works. If it's too short of a vent, not sure what I'll do - maybe I can add fabric somehow?

Cristina

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/17/14 7:45 PM

Whether you leave the skirt as is or shorten at the hem, the vent will end in the same place, right? If you're having trouble taking steps now, you will also with the skirt shorter. I might opt for shortening it at the waist, but, boy, that's a lot of work. You'd need to remove the waistband and zipper. After cutting off from the top, you would need to fit it and adjust any darts. Then you would do the same for the lining. Ugh.

Before you go through all the work pin up the hem to determine the outcome. Good luck. :)

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

aqn
star
aqn  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

Date: 8/17/14 11:21 PM

If I was doing this, I would aim to preserve the waist area as well as the vent, which means shortening somewhere in the middle. It'd mean an additional horizontal seam. Depending on the fabric and/or the print, the seam might not be noticeable. If the fabric is such that a seam will be obvious, it'd be tougher because I'd have to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

I'd be reluctant to make such a horizontal seam into a design element or to embellish it, because I kinda think highlighting a horizontal seam that's at about mid-thigh level does not make for a flattering result.

If the skirt is straight up and down, hacking off a chunk in the middle is straightforward. If it's tapered one way or another, it'd be slightly more involved but not much tougher.

------
Anna Nguyen \ Austin, TX

Catina
star
Catina  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Utah USA
Member since 10/6/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/17/14 11:31 PM

You will have plenty of fabric left over from chopping off the bottom. How about fold back both edges of your kick pleat, and insert a "box pleat" behind it with the remnants. Might be cute.

I'm kinda with BirdyBooo though.... technically I don't think you need the back vent with it being the shorter length now- you should be able to walk in it just in, but if not, then slit vent... or the pleated vent will do.

-- Edited on Today at 11:34 PM --

------
Your "Pattern Hack Fairy",
Catina Ferraine

www.FashionHackPatterns.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Hemming a skirt with a vent and lining

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Butterick 5497

photo
by: Marla1

Review
Jalie 2327

photo
by: JudieL

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.