SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Raves ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Raves
a complementary thread about nice things
Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 9/15/05 8:43 PM

I ordered some coffee tables last week from West Elm, i like ordering furniture online because they arrive at my door and I don't have to worry about stuffing them in my car. Plus, West Elm was having a big sale, and the tables will match my modular chairs. The tables arrived this week, but UPS wouldn't leave them at my apartment unless I was there (argh). I arranged to pick up the boxes at the local UPS depot after work, since West Elm often ships things flat, and I figured that they ought to fit into my car. I get to the depot today, and the nice UPS lady wheels out a cart with a small box and a massive box. There is no way that massive box is going to fit in my car. Much discussion ensues, involving several other UPS workers. Finally one of them volunteers to put the boxes in his truck and drive them to my house (a mile away). This was against company policy, but very very nice, saving me a great deal of trouble. Yay UPS man!

I have a dining table arriving next week that I will need to come up with a different solution for....I hope the UPS Store across the street has mailboxes available. Time to buy a dolly!

------
mmmmm woooool

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

In reply to Nikki

Date: 9/15/05 9:40 PM

WooHoo..good for you!! ANd what a sweet, considerate guy! I'm pretty much loving life - after 8 years of marriage, hubby and i finally have decent furniture in our bedroom...and it all matches!!! It's presswood, but looks like real cherry, and it came from the local WalMart SuperCenter!!! Only downer was that when I was taking the "bedroom in a box" out of the box, I discovered that the mirror was broken. Called the store and explained and they said just bring it in with the receipt and they would swap it out for me...wow!! DIdn't expect that!! So...that's a good mark for WalMart, even though they still don't top my list of favorite stores....where i live, I have to go away from my town to get to "big" stores (I live in Waynesboro, VA now, and either have to go to Staunton or Charlottesville for "real" shopping...or else go online like I did for DHs recliner )

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 9/15/05 10:13 PM

Wow, Nikki, what a nice thing to happen to you! I just love it when people do nice things for no reason. :-)

Sweeta

Sweeta
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/28/04
Send Message

Date: 9/15/05 10:44 PM

YAY nice UPS! Enjoy life with your new things!!!! OXOXSweeta

------
Life is what happens while your busy making plans.

candyo
starstarstar
candyo
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 3/6/03
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 12:00 PM

Oh, I just got a West Elm catalog, and their furniture is great!!

------
Nikki Medved
My blog:
http://subversivesewer.wordpress.com
Visit my pro-sewing store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/sewingdiva

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 2:12 PM

Nikki, they are having a big sale on the caramel finish stuff right now....usually this happens when they discontinue things, but the sales are pretty good. Their website has current info on sales. And since all their stuff "matches", it doesn't matter when the things you bought are discontinued, because they will go with the new stuff.

ps. When I got home yesterday, the UPS guy had just left the dining table boxes in front of my door, totally against what they told me last week. Not that I'm complaining here....

------
mmmmm woooool

Muria
star
Muria
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 2/13/05
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 3:21 PM

Maybe it was the same guy who brought your tables last week?

------
Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!

bunz
star
bunz
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 3:50 PM

Yes! I prefer this thread to the "rant" one. I had a lovely thing happen last weekend. I called sharper image bec it was time to replace my air cleaner. They told me that altho my 5-ye warranty had recently expired, they would honor it and subtract the whole cost of the old filter from the new one.

Result? $75 instead of $350!! I'm happy.

Nina

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 4:23 PM

Nina - that's great.

This happened a while ago now, but I have a Food Saver that went kaput. (I absolutely love my food saver, but they are a touch temperamental.) I thought it was past it's warrenty, so I sent it in along w/ a check to cover the repairs. They sent both it & the check back - turns out it was still in warrenty.

We just ordered a rotating TV stand from racksandstands.com. Really nice quality unit. They have a feature where for $5 you can get free return shipping. We took that because we weren't positive on the size, and in fact did have to replace it.

And then there are the local shops that we frequent. The nice thing about those is that you see the same folks and get to know them a little. So when I forgot my pocket book, I can just pay them the next day! (Happened to me in 2 different shops that I go to. Two occasions. Makes you wonder about my memory.)

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

GorgeousFabrics
starstarstarstar
GorgeousFabrics
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 8/12/02
Send Message

Date: 9/20/05 5:06 PM

Here's one from a while back. There was some pretty negative discussion on the boards about a certain independent fabric store in the WDC area (yep, G Street), and I piped in with my 20 cents worth, citing the exceptional quality of the fabrics they carry, the service, the notions, the (at the time) great book selection and independent patterns. Well you know what? I got a phone call from the president, Michael, thanking me for standing up for them! He was really sweet. He talked with me for about 40 minutes and ended up giving me a great deal on some fabulous wool boucle as thanks. The facts that:

He followed the post here on PatternReview;
He looked me up in the phone book to contact me;
He took a fair amount of time out of what is undoubtedly a busy day to talk with little old me about my opinions of his store and;
He went out of his way to thank me with a lovely gesture

Will keep me as a customer for the very long term. Hmmm, that reminds me - I haven't been to see my FIL in a while, time to go see G-Street - I mean - Alan!

Ann

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Raves

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 2430

photo
by: s.gopalan

Review
Vogue Patterns 1038

photo
by: Graca

Review
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

More Info
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.