SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > Warm Windows ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Warm Windows
Making Warm Window quilts to keep the heat in
Bonny Dune
star
Bonny Dune
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/21/03
Send Message

Date: 10/2/05 3:26 PM

Hi All,

I have decided I need to add some Warm Window quilts to my windows to keep the heat in my house this winter. It sounds like the natural gas bill will be sky high.

I have down loaded the booklet from the Warm Window site and have begun measuring and making a plan for how to proceed. I was just wondering if anyone had experience making these and had some advice for me.

Bonny

Stitchology

Stitchology
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 1/26/03
Send Message

Date: 10/2/05 3:50 PM

I had wanted to make some but had trouble buying the materials locally because only Hancock's carried them and they were chronically out of stock of some component. The saleswoman there said you really need an industrial machine to go through the thickness and that the stuff wasn't selling well. I hesitated at ordering the whole shebang by mail order as it seemed like a big money and time investment.

Instead I have used a thermal batting that has a mylar layer for a couple of experimental window covers. It does block the palpable current of cold air you can feel at a window on a cold day. . I can't remember the name, but it's also available at the Hancock chain stores and I've seen it in the Hancock's of Paducah catalog. (That's a different company that sells quilting supplies.) It's not as warm but it does seem to help. I've used it for a coffee pot cozy and some other small projects. I'm also considering trying insul-bright to see if it has better insulation.

------
Buy the best and you only cry once.

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/2/05 5:39 PM

Bonny - I used the Warm Window insulated Roman shade system several years ago. It was so effective, immediately, that I took off from work to do every window in our house, including double sliding glass doors. I think there were 2 of those, plus 3 single windows, and 7 double windows. I did all outside mounts, so we had to put up a mounting board on each window, but that was easy, with DH's help.

Cost: probably recovered the first year just from the reduction in heating bills, but for comfort...priceless.

I did buy magnetic strips that I stuck to the wall or molding, and inside the side seams of the shades, so those suckers were sealed!

If you decide to do it:

- I used a regular, older Singer. I put all the leaves in my dining room table so I'd have lots of room. The nice woman who sold me the Warm Window insulated fabric reminded me I could sew on all the plastic rings (for the cords) with a zigzag on the machine (a lifesaver). And, DH held out the sides of the big pieces while I did those zigzags up and down and across, without cutting the thread till it was done.

I covered mine with a plain, good quality muslin. I had no problems at all. Everything worked - much easier than my clothes sewing! And the operation of raising and lowering, and flicking toward the edges to seal was excellent the 6 more years we lived in that house.

If you can read directions, which I thought were very good, and you can measure, you can do it. Yes!

Hope this helps - Annie

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Liana
starstarstarstar
Liana
Advanced
Nebraska USA
Member since 8/31/03
Send Message

Date: 10/2/05 10:04 PM

Bonny,

I did the Warm Windows at least 20 years ago, and they're still going strong. They make a ton of difference on cold days. We built a new house with thermopane windows, so they're not bad to start with, but we have LOTS of large windows on all sides of the house, and so I decided to do these for the north windows in the kitchen, dining room and our bedroom. I got all my supplies from Hancock's (it was still Northwest Fabric then) and I'm thinking about replacing some of the outer (home-dec) fabric, but the "guts" of the shades are still in great shape. I didn't want large roman shades over my double- and triple-wide windows, so I attached the shade to the inside of the individual window frames. This has probably led to more moisture build-up on the windows than I otherwise would have had, but it's not a problem unless it's really cold outside. We also keep the house pretty humid in the winter, because of respiratory problems, etc. I don't know that you'd have a problem otherwise, and especially if you actually follow their directions and put the shade over the window frame instead of inside it. I'd do these again, and I hate home-dec sewing. These were really easy, and certainly worth the work involved. Besides keeping out the cold, they also are room-darkening, and sound-deadening.

------
Liana
http://sewintriguing.blogspot.com/
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/
http://www.pbase.com/lianasews

Stitchology

Stitchology
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 1/26/03
Send Message

Date: 10/3/05 8:11 AM

I'm glad to know people have had good results and I guess I need to consider these again.

------
Buy the best and you only cry once.

Bonny Dune
star
Bonny Dune
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/21/03
Send Message

Date: 10/3/05 8:27 AM

Thanks for all the help gals. I do think I can sew these up on my machine. And I found a good site that tells how to do the window estimations. I have that part done.

But what about the hardware? After looking at the book I am not sure what I need for hardware. I know I need strip and roll magnets. And I need a weight bar for each window. Do I combine bars for larger windows? Or is there a cheaper alternative? The bars run ten bucks a piece.

Somewhere someone mentioned using a metal pulley instead of the plastic one the WW system provided. Should I do that? And do I need a cleat or that cordlock thing?

My local Joanns carries the Warm Window line so I plan to make good use of my 40% off coupon. And I was careful to check, they do have all the supplies I will need.

And how is this for a bonus? I have venetian blinds on my windows now and to install them I had to put up a mounting board. So I can just take down the blinds and put the Warm Windows up.

And how do you care for your WW Liana?

Bonny

Liana
starstarstarstar
Liana
Advanced
Nebraska USA
Member since 8/31/03
Send Message

In reply to Bonny Dune

Date: 10/3/05 11:02 AM

Bonny,

I just dust them. Thatís all theyíve ever needed.

I have metal locking pulleys at the top on all of them except one, as they were one short when I was buying. I bought a plastic one at a custom drape shop here and I hate it. The original WW ones are much better. If they have plastic now, I canít tell you if theyíre the same. Mine are locking, so you donít need a cleat. I just braided all the cords together at the bottom for a foot or so, and they look very nice.

I donít have a rod at the bottom. The hem, etc. is heavy enough that they stay down with no problem. I think Iíd try it without the rods and see if you need them. You can always slide them in the hem later.

I just used the directions for measuring that were in the WW directions. I still have them if youíre interested in a scan. (PM me.)

HTH

------
Liana
http://sewintriguing.blogspot.com/
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/
http://www.pbase.com/lianasews

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

Date: 10/3/05 9:01 PM

Bonny - the only thing I'd add to Liana's info is that I did put a slat in the bottom of each curtain, even the big ones. No ten dollar stuff - just cheap slats - an old yardstick for one, just so the bottom hems would lie flat across and not pooch out to let cold air in.

I'm also not much for sewing for the home, but that was a job I loved - it worked, and it made a difference - have fun with yours -

Annie

------

Bonny Dune
star
Bonny Dune
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/21/03
Send Message

Date: 10/4/05 9:16 PM

I am in shock. I swear I can not believe what I found at Joann's today. They had added more Warm Windows fabric, which is great. They have the 60" wide and the 45" wide in both ivory and white. And it is two dollars a yard cheaper then when I last checked. So far so good.

Then I looked at the hardware. Everything had DOUBLED in price. I swear. I could not believe it! But the new stickers were white and over the old stickers and it was easy to see that all the prices were doubled. So a big investment suddenly became a HUGE investment. I kept saying over and over, it can not cost this much for magnetic tape.

And it does not. I can buy a roll of magnetic tape from WW, $10 for 20 feet. Or I can buy 100 feet from a magnetic tape maker for $14 for 100 feet. I think you can guess who is going to get my money.

I also learned you need MUCH less hardward if you do a side pull drape. Looking at the Warm Windows book it seems to me you could just make a curtain on an inexpensive run of the mill track, use the WW fabric and add magnets to seal up the edges and save a fortune!

The hardware for my largest window was over $100, no fabric in the price, just hardware.

I am thinking I will be buyng their fabric and making a side pull drape using a top track. I can not tell you how shocked I was by the price. Especially since I had priced all the hardware not two weeks ago. I can understand a price increase, but doubling the price seems like highway robbery.

Bonny

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

Date: 10/5/05 6:57 AM

Bonny - on side pull drapes - there are a lot of layers there, with some stiffness - would a hardware store. or catalog have better prices so you could still have roman shades? But let us know - I'd be interested if side pull works! Annie

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> Warm Windows

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Keyka Lou Zip Clutches

photo
by: pajamapart...

Review
Silhouette Patterns 113

photo
by: TinaLea

Review
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

More Info
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.