PatternReview Blog > Tip 271: Details to Draft|
|Tip 271: Details to Draft||By DianeSev on 12/30/11 1:23 PM
I love making knit tees like the beautiful ones that run $50-plus in ready-to-wear. I have found that I can redesign the neckline shape easily with waxed paper. It's fun to get creative and try different shapes:
- Cut a piece of waxed paper large enough to span from shoulder to shoulder.
- Draw a line perpendicular to the "shoulders" down the center with a Sharpie - this is your center front line.
- Fold the paper in half on the line and cut a 4" (10.2 cm)-deep wedge out at the top to create room for your neck. Unfold.
- Press the waxed paper against your collarbone area - it will stick to your skin if you wear only your bra.
- Stand in front of mirror and with the Sharpie, draw a neckline shape you like. If the paper isn't smooth, click it more at the neckline area. Mark the top of the "shoulder seam" at the base of your neck on each side.
- Transfer the shape to your pattern. Remember to add seam allowances.
Submitted by ryansmum.
Deepika adds: To be more accurate, you might want to trace your original pattern neckline, shoulders, and armscye onto the waxed paper first.
This tip is from 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips.
Download a full chapter.
1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips
makes a great gift for you or another sewer in your life!
Order it now, signed by Deepika!
1 Comments Login to Add a Comment
Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Connect on Previous Posts
Winter Street Dress Blog Tour - Part 2 & Contest
Tip Tuesday: Perfectly curved pocket
Member in Focus: crisford
Meet the Winners of the Fitted Blouse Contest!
Don't miss out - Simplicity sale!
Tip Tuesday: Collar stays
Winter Street Dress Blog Tour - Part 1
New Vogue Patterns with Fabric Suggestions from Emma One Sock
Winner of the Book Giveaway
Member in Focus: TJSEWS