PatternReview Blog > Tip 625 - Fitting: Check It and Check It Off|
|Tip 625 - Fitting: Check It and Check It Off||By DianeSev on 1/25/12 4:14 PM
Be methodical when you fit. Make a list of things to check - standard points like hem length as well as any "issues" that are problematic for you.
Here are two checklists I follow when sewing a top. I don't have a 3-way mirror, so I take lots of self-timer photos when I do this. After checking, I make all of the fit changes on the paper pattern. I don't generally record the style changes since these decisions change with each garment.
- Upper bust: too loose/too tight?
- Full bust: enough room for the girls?
- Waist: need extra for a full tummy?
- Back width OK?
- Center back length: folds (too long) or pulling (too short)?
- Length/side seams: shape OK? Straight fall to hem?
- Hemline: is it even?
- Darts: do they point to the bust? Is the uptake enough? Are the darts the right length?
- Sleeve: does the shoulder seam sit on your shoulder point? Is there room to move? Is the length good?
- Collar and collar stand: check the notch position, point spread, length, and roll
- Hem shape: what suits you best? Mine is a gentle curve.
- Darts: should any be unsewn?
- Sleeve: check for shape and cuff.
- Collar: is it a good shape?
- Other style features: does it need side splits, pockets, embroidery?
Submitted by Helen near Sydney.
This tip is from 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips.
Download a full chapter.
1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips
makes a great addition to your sewing library!
Order it now, signed by Deepika!
2 Comments Login to Add a Comment
Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Connect on Previous Posts
New Indie Patterns!
Tip Tuesday: Jean pocket repair
Winners of the Inspired By The Movies Contest
Member in Focus: Quickie
Who won the MariaDenmark Giveaway
Tip Tuesday: Tighten any waistband with elastic
Join the Fitted Blouse Contest!
Celebrating Indie Patterns - March - Sewaholic Patterns
Vote in the Inspired By The Movies Contest
Winners of the Little White Dress Contest