PatternReview Blog > Tip 625 - Fitting: Check It and Check It Off|
|Tip 625 - Fitting: Check It and Check It Off||By DianeSev on 1/25/12 4:14 PM
Be methodical when you fit. Make a list of things to check - standard points like hem length as well as any "issues" that are problematic for you.
Here are two checklists I follow when sewing a top. I don't have a 3-way mirror, so I take lots of self-timer photos when I do this. After checking, I make all of the fit changes on the paper pattern. I don't generally record the style changes since these decisions change with each garment.
- Upper bust: too loose/too tight?
- Full bust: enough room for the girls?
- Waist: need extra for a full tummy?
- Back width OK?
- Center back length: folds (too long) or pulling (too short)?
- Length/side seams: shape OK? Straight fall to hem?
- Hemline: is it even?
- Darts: do they point to the bust? Is the uptake enough? Are the darts the right length?
- Sleeve: does the shoulder seam sit on your shoulder point? Is there room to move? Is the length good?
- Collar and collar stand: check the notch position, point spread, length, and roll
- Hem shape: what suits you best? Mine is a gentle curve.
- Darts: should any be unsewn?
- Sleeve: check for shape and cuff.
- Collar: is it a good shape?
- Other style features: does it need side splits, pockets, embroidery?
Submitted by Helen near Sydney.
This tip is from 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips.
Download a full chapter.
1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips
makes a great addition to your sewing library!
Order it now, signed by Deepika!
2 Comments Login to Add a Comment
Copyright © 2013 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Connect on Previous Posts
Members' Tips on "How to sew bathing suits?? Advice please!"
New Patterns from Colette, Angela Wolf, and a Bathing Suit from Closet Case Files!
New! Victory Patterns: Encouraging Sustainability by Sewing
Winners of the Creative Publishing Giveaway
PatternReview on Facebook: What's Your Favorite Sewing Book?
All Natural! Who Won the Contest?
Creative Publishing Book Giveaway!
We Chatted with Melissa Mora of Blank Slate Patterns
Vote in the Natural Fabrics Contest. They’re Waiting for You!
Let’s Ad-Dress the New Buttericks!