PatternReview Blog > Tip 255: Sketch It First|
|Tip 255: Sketch It First||By DianeSev on 4/19/12 11:22 AM
- Remember those paper dolls you used to play with when you were little? Well, this way of capturing fashion inspiration is kinda like that...
- Make a design template: Trace a lady's figure, front and back views. I traced one out of the Vogue catalog. Photocopy it. Zoom it to get several different sizes. Or make a croquis of yourself.
- Every time you see a design or design detail that you absolutely love, race home and sketch it onto one of your photocopied templates.
- Jot down a few notes to remind you where you saw it, why it caught your eye, the fabric, the color, etc. Design ideas can strike at any time -- walking down the street, at the movies, cruising RTW -- so BE PREPARED.
- Affix the drawing to your sewing room wall. I loosely separate the sketches into tops, skirts, etc., and put them up along-side magazine clippings/postcards/labels, etc. I know it's messy, and if you sew in your dining room, this many not be possible, but I love having all that inspiration around me as I sew. Sometimes I just look around the room and marvel at all the amazing details those talented designer types come up with.
Submitted by Helen near Sydney.
This tip is from 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips.
Download a full chapter.
Royalties from 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts & Tips go toward breast cancer research.
Read about our latest donation (thanks to you!).
Order it now, signed by Deepika!
Or, order from Amazon.
3 Comments Login to Add a Comment
Copyright © 2013 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Connect on Previous Posts
Member in Focus (Sewing as a Business): SheBear0320
Editorial Reviews of Angela Wolf’s How to Start a Home-Based Fashion Designer Business
PatternReview on Facebook: Sewing as a Business
Pantone Color Contest Winners
Simplicity 2-Day $2.99 Sale!
Sewalong - Summer Street Dress - May 15th - June 15th
Winner of the Eureka! Pants That Fit Giveaway
Using a Ruffler Foot – Construction: A Picture Tutorial by newmama
Who Won the Pattern Stash Contest? It's a Tie!
Using a Ruffler Foot: A Picture Tutorial by newmama