Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Back to all Entries
leanmeansewingmachine (Dana Gros) Category: linen

I originally planned to make a very simple flared, bias-cut skirt in order to showcase the beautiful plaid. But right before cutting out the skirt I changed my mind and tried decided to use this pattern as an alternative. (A decision I questioned many times during construction!)
For alterations, I made a ¾” FBA, lowered the dart by 1”, and pinched out 1/8” at the collar foldline. I made one adjustment to the pattern construction by adding a facing to the armhole. The front sleeve facing is added to the original collar facing piece and the back facing is a stand-alone piece that is sewing to the front piece at the shoulder seam.
Because I was short on fabric, I focused on matching the plaid at the front and did my best to match the intersecting plaid lines on the back but couldn’t match the plaid as closely as I did on the front. The other thing that I kept in mind was making sure the color nearest my face would be flattering. (I went with the blue to match my eyes. Go ahead, call me vain!) My next obstacle was the bias. It was clear that this fabric had the potential to stretch way out of proportion. After consulting readers on my blog, I fused strips of interfacing along all the seamlines. Then, I added an underlining out of a polyester lining fabric that I had on hand. I cut the underlining on the straight grain and kept my fingers crossed when I serged it to the linen along the center front/back and side seams.
I have to admit that it didn’t occur to me until about halfway through the construction that I could enter this garment in this contest. If I had started out with that goal I might have put a little more thought into the construction methods! Regardless, it’s a colorful summer dress that, I think, is flattering and easy to wear.

Copyright © 2014® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us