November 1, 2011 - November 30, 2011
Refashioning, reconstructing, recycling or upcycling -- whatever you call it, this is the contest for it.
Objective: Take an item or items and create a new and different garment.
Requirements: A photo of your "material" (the initial item or items) and another photo of the final garment must be included in your review. Additional pictures may also be included.
Your original items can be anything you want, but they may only be turned into garments or accessories to qualify as "new" items for this contest. The garment must be sewn. Self drafted patterns or commercial patterns may be used; they may be previously used or new.
The "original" item or items must be changed substantially to create a new garment. The item can be of the same type (dress to dress) or something entirely different (tablecloth to dress). However, the new item must be distinctly different from the original (for example, embellishments only do not qualify). At least half of the new item must be made from reconstructed / recycled items(notions such as zippers or interfacing do not count in the total).
Prize: First Prize: An online class and 10th anniversary PR Tote
Second Prize: PR Tote and a pattern of the winner's choice.
Examples that qualify for the contest:
Making a skirt from pants. Making a fitted top from a tunic. Making a hat from a sweater.
Examples that do not qualify for the contest:
Hemming an old bridesmaid dress to make it a short cocktail dress. Taking the sleeves off a blouse to make it a sleeveless blouse. Resizing a t-shirt to a smaller t-shirt.
Suggestions for reviews & to help with voting:
For entrants: Include in your review a description of the original article, and what steps you took to make the new garment. You may also want to explain why you chose the original article to reconstruct or recycle. This can help inspire others to do something similar.
For voters: How different is the final item from the original item or items? How functional is the final garment?
Link to the 2010 Challenge Contest Thread here
Link to the 2009 Contest Thread here
*Rules that apply to all contests:
1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time, as shown on the Pattern Review website, on the last day of the contest. Contest dates will be listed for each contest.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).