Menswear Sewing Challenge – February 2012
Do you love to sew for a special man? You will love the Challenge we are offering this month- right in time for Valentine’s Day!!
The Sewing Challenge for February 2012 is Menswear. Sew a pair of pants, a tee shirt or a dress shirt for that special guy in your life. Your boyfriend, your husband, your dad or the guy next door- it doesn’t matter who it is for as long as he’s an adult male (and will pose for a photo!)
The contest runs from February 1st to 15. Read the rules below to ensure that you adhere by the guidelines.
1. Sew an article of clothing for a man. Clothing only please- no accessories. For the purpose of this challenge, clothing includes pants, tees, shirts, briefs, and coats. A tie, for example is an accessory and would not qualify for this contest.
2. This is a Menswear Challenge. Please no infant, toddler or children’s clothing. As a guideline, the “man’ being sewn for should be over the age of 18. Use your discretion. If you would enter the garment in a Sewing for Children contest, it doesn’t belong here!
3. Write a review of the garment. Remember the reviews are read by the voters and detail counts!
4. Include at least one photo in the review. It may feel like pulling teeth to get that guy to pose, but try your best!
And the rest of the usual rules also apply here…
The 1st and 2nd place winners will be decided by member vote.
Threads Archive DVD
Fitting DVD Set
Standard Contest Rules
1. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.
2. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!
3. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).
Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.
You may choose to assign a point value to each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your choices.
1. How well does the garment/collection/ensemble/item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
4. Is the review complete and well written?
5. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
6. Creative points. You may choose to give credit here for extras including embellishment, creative interpretation of patterns, creativity in creating a pattern, or even for having the restraint to leave something strikingly simple.
7. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.