|Natural Fabrics Contest|
May 1st to May 31st 2012
Are you in love with natural fibres? Does the thought of wearing silk, bamboo, wool, cotton or linen make you sighhhhh with delight? Why not combine that love with this contest, and show us how you incorporate your favourite natural fiber into a garment.
Make an item using only 100% natural fibres- silk, wool, cotton, linen, hemp or bamboo. For this contest, blends are not allowed. The fibre that you use must be 100% ONE fibre. Ie 100% silk NOT 50 silk/50 bamboo
Lining and/or trims do not have to be a natural fibre.
Any wearable item is acceptable. A skirt, dress, pants, or coat for a woman, man or child.
Home Dec and accessories are not a part of this contest.
Photos are always a necessary part of a contest entry. At least one photo of the finished garment is necessary.
A review must be written and the PR member must enter the contest and link the review to the contest by 11:59pm of the last day of the contest.
The 1st and 2nd place winners will be decided by member vote.
First Place Prize: An iron from Reliable Corporation
Second Place Prize: An iron from Reliable Corporation
Standard Contest Rules
1. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, patterns may be drafted, tweaked, and muslined before the contest date, but fabric for the pieces entered may not be laid out or cut till the start date of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the contest date.
2. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome!
3. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry.
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the start of a contest is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won 1st place in a contest on Pattern Review ended in the previous 4 months is ineligible to win another contest (for that 4 month period).
Guidelines for Voting on Contests:
Because of the high quality of the garments we're seeing entered in PR Contests, we're setting forth some guidelines that may help you choose when voting.
You may choose to assign a point value to each of the following criteria in order to narrow down your choices.
1. How well does the garment/collection/ensemble/item fit the criteria stated in the contest rules? How well does it fit the spirit of the rules?
2. Are the construction methods, including but not limited to seam finishes, lining techniques, etc, well suited to the design? To the fabric?
3. Is the fabric choice well suited to the design? Are the lining and interfacing choices appropriate?
4. Is the review complete and well written?
5. Taking into account the stated ability level of the entrant, how well does the garment fit?
6. Creative points. You may choose to give credit here for extras including embellishment, creative interpretation of patterns, creativity in creating a pattern, or even for having the restraint to leave something strikingly simple.
7. Complexity of the project. Relate this to the skill level of the participant. If a participant is a beginner then a princess seam may get the same complexity level as an underarm gusset gets for an advanced sewer. This is purely subjective, but a complex garment might garner more points than a simple one if a tie-breaker is needed.